The Morning After

At sunrise that particular morning Mac set off alone and far deeper than usual into unfamiliar areas of the wilderness forests. For some strange reason he was unable to remember why he was off-trail in unknown woods or what he may have been searching for, but he remembered enough to recall that no wood searching had been planned.

To his horror, he discovered he was being shadowed by wolves; a known dangerous wily predator but one that rarely strayed this far south.

"How did I get so far off track and let this happen?" now fearing for his safety, maybe even his life.

In spite of his cautious counter-maneuvering to avoid getting trapped, he soon realized he'd been slowly out-flanked and surrounded nonetheless.

His dire predicament had become dangerously untenable, and spying a massive yellow birch tree on his left, he raced those few feet over to it, dropped his backpack and then stood with his back against the tree trunk. All he had to fend with was a folding pocket knife and his walking stick which he was now swinging threateningly. Mac's mouth may have been bone dry but his palms were soaked and streams of perspiration were trickling down his back.

 Mac's mouth may have been bone dry but his palms were soaked and streams  of perspiration were trickling down his back

All he had to fend with was a folding pocket knife and his walking stick which he was now swinging threateningly. Mac's mouth may have been bone dry but his palms were soaked and streams of perspiration were trickling down his back.

Undeterred by his readiness to fight back, the wolves now snarling and baring their teeth inched closer, no doubt preparing to unleash a swift attack to kill.

Seemingly out of nowhere a strange larger-than-life bluish-black fox jumped in between him and the wolves. The peculiar fox was smaller than its adversaries but much more agile. Alone, it fought viciously and courageously drove off the entire pack. Seconds later the fox too vanished into dense forest undergrowth.

Mac was astounded; he'd never heard of a bluish-black fox before let alone seen one, but desiring somehow to show gratitude to the unusual creature for its timely intervention, he turned and started following in the same direction it had gone.

Stopping dead in his tracks seconds later, he'd confronted a strange Asian woman attired in a mostly black outfit and a mask that hid almost all of her face; he knew she was Asian from staring into her eyes.