The Wood Search

Last evening I routinely selected the usual few small tools and other items I would likely need for the wood search and then packed the gear. My backpack was just the right size to hold everything including a small bow-saw.

This morning I was awake early, ready early and restless early, wondering if Sonia would actually show up. I was really hoping that she wouldn't change her mind and stand me up but I was prepared to go alone. Regardless, in about thirty minutes I'd know her answer. Waiting, I sat at the kitchen table, sipped on my tea and reflected; Sonia was on my mind. Honestly, I was forcing myself not to get up, go to the window and watch for her.

Truly she was unlike any other girl I'd ever met. Her zany personality and sometimes outlandish antics were refreshingly different and always unpredictable. Simply describing her as unusual seemed like understatement but I couldn't find a better word that fit her unique nature. For a while now I'd been puzzling over how to approach her uninvited and pondering how to get to know her better without being too obvious. All I'd been doing was indecisively wringing my hands and doing nothing at all... and then that other day she unexpectedly threw me this unbelievable special opportunity.

About ten minutes before eight I thought I heard a muffled thump outside. Wondering if Sonia had actually decided to come along with me I waited impatiently while listening for her knock on the door. Nothing. A moment later I heard another thump that seemed to have originated from out front. Curious, I set the mug down, went to the front door and opened it.

The scene I witnessed in the following minute or two absolutely astounded me. On the front lawn Sonia was performing a physically demanding dance routine that was completely different from what I'd seen her do that time on the road and then a few days ago on the stairway. The complex moves she was now accomplishing should've been impossible yet she was doing them with apparent ease. I silently gaped in admiration.

She  ended her activity when she noticed me watching

She ended her activity when she noticed me watching. I'd already noticed mud and grass smudges on her left elbow and left leg and wondered if she'd slipped or fallen on the dew covered lawn.

"Your dancing was absolutely amazing!" I exclaimed, genuinely impressed.

"It didn't go well..."

"Why not?"

"I slipped and fell twice." she admitted, revealing dissatisfaction with her effort.

"I guess that explains the noises I heard." I remarked like an aside while disappointedly thinking, "She's barefoot and wearing a dress."

As I silently stared at her in totally unsuitable attire for hiking through fields and forests, my hopes instantly deflated because I assumed this brick-subtle message meant she'd changed her mind about accompanying me. Although I was curious and wanted to know why she'd been dancing outside or why she'd even bothered to come over, I chose not to ask because I didn't want to hear her telling me that she'd changed her mind.