Chapter 9

"Oh no," Lynn mutters as her crush, Darren, spots her and makes his way over where we're standing, which is the corridor beside our lecture hall. "Not today, please not today."

"Shut up, I can hardly see that pimple," April mutters, knowing exactly why she's worrying about meeting Darren. She's been fretting over that pimple all morning, trying different ways to cover it up, but she didn't manage to hide it completely.

"You may not but he might!" She says, bouncing up and down on the soles of her feet. She looks around in the hopes of escaping but it's too late. Darren is here and he waves distractedly at April and I before turning his attention back to Lynn.

Why can't they both see how hooked up they are over each other?

"Hey, Lynn," Darren says, smiling widely at her. His straight blonde hair is gelled up today and he's dressed extra nice with a dark blue jacket over his all black outfit.

"Hey," She smiles back, all trace of nervousness gone. "Did you have a presentation today?" Lynn has this special ability where she is able to talk to her crush and actually seem cool about it. Must be nice.

"Actually, no," He admits, scratching the back of his head. Aww he probably got all dressed up for Lynn. Darren pauses for a moment before glancing at April and I. Fine, I know how to take a hint.

"I'm going to go buy a drink," I say, waving goodbye. I link my arm with April's and drag her away with me. I don't actually need to buy a drink, but I walk towards the vending machines anyway. The things I do for my friends.

"Do you think he's finally going to ask her out," April says, looking back at them. Both Darren and Lynn have their eyes fixed on each other. They would make such a cute couple if only they would stop being so stubborn and admit their feelings.

"I hope so," I say. It's been nearly a year of this back and forth flirting between them and I know that they're both itching to go out with each other. It's too bad pride always gets in the way.

We hide out at the vending machines awhile longer before Lynn finishes talking to Darren and comes looking for us. April and I both just stare at her, waiting for news.

"I don't know," She says, leaning against the wall and sighing. Her black hair falls in front of her face and she doesn't even bother brushing it back.

"What do you mean you don't know," April says, "Either he asked you out or he didn't."

"He invited me for a movie with a few of his friends," She says, looking confused, "Is that a date or a hangout?"

April and I both look at each other, unsure of what to reply. Knowing Darren, he probably tried to ask her out but got scared and made an excuse about his friends joining them. Damn it. They were so close.

"I guess it's both," April supplies an answer.

Lynn shrugs and stands up straighter, "Well, do you want to go eat sushi? I've been thinking about it all through class."

"YES," April agrees passionately, never one to say no to sushi.

I, on the other hand, am conflicted. Do I want to go home to Luke or go eat sushi? I kinda miss him, but I also kinda miss sushi.

"Wait," April stops us, looking at her phone, "Dylan just told me that he ordered pizza."

"Fuck you, Dylan," Lynn groans, "I only managed to get through that 3 hour lecture because of the thought of sushi."

As promised, Lynn drives us back. She doesn't trust me to drive as long as Luke is still staying with us. She's right to. My entire body feels like it is on overdrive as I sit at the backseat and wait for us to reach home.