six

Chapter Six;

Delaney made it to the hospital within half an hour. She'd been nervous to catch the bus to speed the journey up but, with earphones in, her hands in the pockets of her hoodie, and her dark hair pulled over her face from beneath her hood, no one paid her a second glance. Years of being on the run made blending in easy; Delaney was able to take a seat and breathe out, the nerves in her stomach unknotting as she closed her eyes, adjusting her earphones which weren't playing any music. She had them in for show.

Delaney arrived at the hospital almost at the same moment Steve did. He too had a hood pulled up. She ripped her earphones out when she saw him and ran toward him, where she was met with a welcoming smile. On instinct her arms found their way around him. They were united by something more than friendship now: they were united by the need to stay alive, which they'd achieve together. Seeing Steve was like seeing her lifeline. She felt so much more secure now she had him by her side.

"You made it," he said, sounding greatly relieved.

Delaney chuckled. "You had doubts?" she teased, raising a single eyebrow.

"With the situation as it is... I couldn't help but be worried."

"I've looked after myself for two years. This is nothing," Delaney joked.

Though, she reflected with a twinge of unease as she stepped back, it was something more than nothing. She just joked to make the situation sound not so bad – but that didn't stop the fact she now had two groups of people, with access to weapons and technology, relentlessly after her.

But she'd survived for two years. This would be no different. The past two years hadn't smooth – this was just another obstacle to overcome. She could do it. She knew she could.

"So, what did you need to retrieve exactly?" Delaney asked, as she followed Steve inside the hospital.

Inside it was almost blindingly white, which made her insides clench up in involuntary fear. She'd been kept isolated in a building that was almost stark white for nineteen years; hospitals reminded her too much of her past.

"A hard drive, which Fury gave to me before he died," Steve said lowly. His eyes tracked a couple passing by, and he waited until they were out of earshot before he continued. "I know it's important, so I hid it in a vending machine before I was summoned to the Triskelion. He told me not to trust anyone, so I figured it would be safer out of S.H.I.E.L.D.."

"A vending machine?" Delaney repeated. She shook her head. "You'll be lucky if it's still there."

She didn't know where she was going, so instead she let Steve lead her through the building. They passed two vending machines until Steve stopped in front of the one he wanted. He froze, his face tightening as he viewed its contents – Delaney instantly gathered that it had gone.

She was tempted to tease him with a "What did I tell you?" but the comment died almost instantly on her lips. She knew there was now a serious situation at hand.

"What now?" she breathed, just as another reflection appeared in the glass of the machine. 

Delaney gasped. The hair was different, but she'd recognise that face anywhere. She spun around, her heart lifting as she took in the wonderfully familiar face of Natasha Romanoff; mentor and close friend.

"Nat," she breathed, a ridiculous grin spreading across her face.

Natasha blinked. "Delaney."

They stared at each other, wide eyed, but before either of them could recover Steve grabbed Natasha's shoulder and pushed her into the next room.

"Steve, what are you doing?" Delaney yelped, horrified, as he slammed Natasha into a wall, glaring at her with such intensity that if looks could kill, Natasha would be in danger of dying.