fourteen

Chapter Fourteen;

Her plan was simple, but goodness, she hoped it worked.

Convince someone to give her a car. Follow the convoy. Drive close enough to convince the guards in the back of Steve, Natasha, and Sam's truck to free her friends, and open the doors. Make the driver stop. Have the others jump out. Speed the hell out of there.

What could go wrong?

Well, so many things. It could end in disaster. But it was the best plan Delaney had – and she was not going to abandon her friends. For anything.

Delaney ran blindly, searching for someone, anyone, who she could possibly convince to let her borrow their car. So when two people – a man and a woman – approached her, Delaney thought luck must be on her side.

"You wouldn't mind if I borrowed your car for a moment?" she asked, flashing them a smile.

Of course, they'd say. That's no problem! Look out for it, please!

Instead, the woman laughed. "I'm sorry, honey, but our car's rather expensive."

Delaney froze. Her hand flew down to her knives, fear suddenly striking her in the heart.

No one had ever resisted her power before.

"Who are you?" she asked lowly, already drawing her weapons.

The woman smirked. "You'll soon know."

Pain exploded in the back of Delaney's head, and darkness consumed her.

+++

A soft groan passed Delaney's dry, chapped lips. Lazily, she wondered when she had last had any water. It would have been at Sam's, when she was having breakfast. She wouldn't have eaten since then, either. Was that why she was so lightheaded?

Delaney shifted slightly. She was so out of it, that she didn't realise something was wrong for several more seconds. Her eyes squeezed more tightly shut. Were they moving? She felt something move beneath her – fast. Her arms were in an awkward position behind her back. She went to move them to a more comfortable position, only to find that she couldn't. She bit her lip when she realised that her hands were bound.

What happened?

Her heart beating erratically in her chest and her breathing ragged, Delaney dug deep into her memories to try and recall what had happened. The highway. The Winter Soldier.

Steve! Her eyes flew open. Natasha, Sam – they'd been captured. She'd tried to save them. Before she could hatch her plan, however, she'd been cornered by two people, a man and a woman, and – and her power had not worked. They'd knocked her out.

Delaney's mouth was dry. She could barely swallow. Feeling faint, she yanked at her bonds, only to grimace as her greatest efforts did nothing.

"She doesn't learn does she, Richard?"

Delaney's eyes snapped up, for the first time, to the people in the front of the car. She caught sight of a strawberry blonde woman, and a raven haired man. The man was driving. The woman had twisted in her seat and was smirking at Delaney. Her eyes were narrow, sly like a fox, and she seemed to be looking down at Delaney with her long nose.

Delaney glared. "Who are you?"

The woman put on an expression of obvious fake hurt. "You don't remember us?"

"Why would I?" Delaney spat.

Her eyes frantically scanned the car, already formulating plans to escape. She spotted her knife belt in the woman's lap. Weapons, sorted. Though, she betted that both man and woman had guns on their person. They probably wouldn't kill her, but a bullet wound in her legs would stop any chance of her escaping. She couldn't get out of the car, either. Her hands were tied behind her back – besides, they'd notice her sitting up and moving toward the door, and stop her before she could reach over. Even if she did get out, there was a limit to how far she could run before they had her again.