epilogue

Epilogue

Wakanda was a beautiful place.

Delaney's eyes had been opened and captivated at once by the country. It was strong and ragged, impressive and as regal as its king, possessing a certain determination and strength as though to tell the world, I'm here, I'm strong, I've endured and I will be here for many years to come.

Its strength calmed her, gave her a sense of grounding, as though she had roots like the trees securing her to the earthy floor. She closed her eyes and inhaled.

After so many days of uncertainty and tension, it was a relief to find reassurance in the environment around her.

Wakanda had not been their first stop after Russia. She and Steve had rescued the others first thing. Delaney had been appalled to see the harsh conditions they had been left in: underneath the water, in cells bare and cold and isolated.

Delaney had been the one to find Wanda, which had caused tears to spring into eyes. At least the others had the ability to move around. Wanda was kept in a straightjacket, eyes empty and devoid of emotion. Delaney's nails had bit into her palms and drawn blood in her anger.

Wanda was not yet of age, and she'd been treated like that. Delaney had felt as though she'd been made of wildfire in that moment, and when she released Wanda, she'd held her tightly and rubbed her back. Wanda returned the gesture, and Delaney had, for a time, been unable to breathe.

They'd found a place to hide out for a time, outside of America. It was a temporary location, but it would suffice for the time being. The others were there now, while Delaney accompanied Steve and Bucky to Wakanda. T'Challa had offered to assist Bucky overcome whatever H.Y.D.R.A. had put in his brain.

She'd left Steve and Bucky on their own. The moment felt too intimate for her to intrude upon, and she'd felt completely out of place. She'd stayed only long enough to give Bucky a quick farewell.

"You'll be fine," she'd said to Bucky, and gave him an embrace. "I'll see you again soon, I know."

"I hope so."

Now Delaney stood alone, her thoughts miles away on another continent, with the friends she'd left behind. She closed her eyes and imagined she could hear them: their laughter, their voices, the slap of hands on shoulders and excited shouts. They were constantly on her mind, both the people she was with and those with whom she had to separate. She didn't want to forget a thing about any of them.

"Hey, Lane, are you okay?"

Delaney opened her eyes and saw Steve make his way toward her. His hands were in his pockets and his eyes drifted, as though distracted. Though she knew it wasn't anything in this corridor that was distracting him: it was his best friend, in another room, who was frozen in time once again.

"Fine. Just thinking." She stepped closer to Steve so their shoulders brushed. "How is he?"

He sighed. "I suppose. I don't like his decision but... If it puts him at ease, then I can't argue with him."

"I can't blame him. If I was in his position, or if I found my parents had a mechanism to control me... I'd do the same as him."

The mere thought of someone able to control her with a few words made her cringe. It reminded her too much of her own powers, and once again her reason for hating what she could do lit like a fire in her body.

He took her hand. "I know. You always put others before yourself."

Delaney rested her head on his shoulder. She was just the right height to do so comfortably.

They stared out at the landscape.

"What do we do now?" Delaney whispered.

For so long, they had always had a goal driving them forward. Even when they had specific task at the Complex, they'd always been alert and ready for a possible attack, and trained constantly to while away time. They'd never had much time to be idle, and now that was no longer possible for them... The endless hours without having to worry about the welfare of the world made Delaney feel lost, as though she was caught in a vast ocean and unable to swim.

She didn't even have her Harry Potter books to occupy her. All her books were still at the Complex. Delaney frowned. She was definitely going to miss those novels. If she wanted to read now she'd most likely have to borrow them from libraries, or buy them. Again.

Steve squeezed her hand. "Return to the others. Continue to protect the world... Perhaps on a smaller scale."

Delaney snorted. "Sounds almost boring compared to what we're used to."

"A nice change, however."

Delaney kissed his cheek. "At least I can spend more time with all of you. As long as we're not caught."

"Hey." Steve cupped her chin. "We won't."

A wry smile touched Delaney's lips. "We're kind of Ross's most wanted right now."

Steve chuckled. "We'll make do. Somehow. The best we can."

"As long as I have you and the others, I know we can."

Delaney smiled and allowed Steve to fold her into his arms. His familiar scent filled her nostrils, and whatever little tension in her body left her.

Home. She smiled. Steve was her home, and she could find belonging anywhere if he was nearby. Even though her true family might be fractured and separated, they were still alive, and she still had means to contact them. They weren't lost forever. They still cared.

They had no concrete future, and no certainty that when they awoke the next day, they'd still be free. Nothing was certain now, but they had a solid foundation in each other. All of them. And as long as Delaney held to that foundation, she knew that slowly, they'd be able to build on top of that and continue constructing until they'd built a place they could start anew.

Walls would crack, holes in the ceiling, and the paint would fade. But those imperfections would be repaired and there was always room to expand.

They'd be okay in time, she knew that, with a new place to call home.

And she was content with that. 

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Aaaaaaand, that is the end! Thank you so much for sticking with me until the end, friends!

Delaney Esquivel is a character who has existed in my head since The Winter Soldier. She's been developing ever since, and I kept imagining her in different situations in  the movies. It wasn't until Civil War that her story was fixed and I was able to write.

When I started this, I didn't just want Lane to be another Avenger, and I didn't want her only purpose to be to fall in love with Steve and become his girlfriend. I wanted her to be her own person, with her own struggles and difficulties and obstacles to overcome. I didn't want her story to just follow Steve's, or the Avengers. I wanted her to have her own tale to tell.

That's when I realised that ultimately, Lane's desire is to find a home. A family, and be accepted. She's been abused unknowingly all her life, manipulated and brainwashed, leaving her without a positive family experience.

So that's what this story became: a story about acceptance, belonging, and family. It's Delaney discovering what family truly is, and where she belongs. That the blood in her veins does not define her.

Thank you for reading Delaney's story until the end. Thank you, all, for all the support you've given me, giving me the encouragement and motivation to continue writing. You're all amazing, and I thank you for giving me a chance. It means the world to me.

Unfortunately there will be no sequel! Just assume that when Infinity War happens, Delaney is there and kicks some serious butt ;)

I love you all. Once again, thank you for everything!!!