fifteen

Chapter Fifteen;

Delaney drove like the devil.

She had no idea where she was, or if her friends were okay. Thinking of the other three made her stomach churn in knots; every time one of their names crossed her head, she increased her speed just a little bit more.

Were they dead? Alive? She had no way of knowing and that, more than anything, terrified her. What was H.Y.D.R.A. going to do to them? Was she already too late?

No. She wouldn't let herself think like that. As far as she knew they were alive, and she would cling to that faith. If that was taken away then there was nothing left to fight for.

Delaney stopped only once to get directions back to Washington, and after that she was a speed demon. Delaney didn't care if she got pulled over by the police; a few sweet words, and she'd be on her way. The situation at hand was more dire than if she lied to the cops – who would probably recognise her anyway.

Once she reached DC, Delaney stopped at a nearby store, desperate for any sort of news. A newspaper article, a magazine feature, comments in passing – anything. She had no idea where to start, and this was the best place to begin.

Fortunately for her, a television was playing in the corner – and the news was on. Delaney froze, instantly recognising what was on the screen.

The Triskonian. In chaos. Allegations that Steve was there, that they were fighting an enemy from within.

They're alive.

The relief was so overwhelming that Delaney forgot how to function and, if she hadn't grasped a nearby stand, she'd have sunk to the ground. No matter how often she had continued to tell herself that Steve, Natasha, and Sam were okay, there had always been a sliver a doubt. To have that cleared from her mind was like lifting the weight of the world from her shoulders.

Delaney allowed herself a few extra seconds to recover before she was on her feet again, with one thought in mind: reach S.H.I.E.L.D.. Her friends were alive, but they needed all the help they could get.

And there was something she needed to do as well.

Delaney swiped a flash drive from the shelf and hastily paid for it. She was suddenly incredibly grateful for the spare change Nicola and Richard had left in the car. Pocketing the device, Delaney sprinted back to her car and threw herself into it. Her tyres screeched as she started the car and drove toward S.H.I.E.L.D, as though the devil was on her tail.

Agents were pouring out of the building when Delaney arrived. She clambered out of the car, fumbling with the handle in her haste. As she stood she strapped her knife belt to her waist and ensured her drive was still in her pocket before she dived into the fray.

Remembering Sitwell's warning about the use of Helicarriers, Delaney sprinted outside and gasped to see that the Helicarriers were already beginning to rise into the air.

And then her attention was caught by a figure in blue, jumping down from the platform to one of the rising Helicarriers.

Steve Rogers.

Her heart soared at the more than welcome sight. "Steve!" She yelled with all her might but knew that it was unlikely he would hear her; indeed, he didn't turn around. Delaney pumped her arms and willed herself to run faster, faster, to almost fly over the ground. Her lungs burned for air – she had never run quite this fast before. Steve, I'm coming!

She bellowed the words in her mind, but somehow they had more volume than her voice as they were able to reach Steve. She saw his head divert from battle toward her (or, at least, the direction she was coming from) before returning to battle. Delaney didn't allow herself to dwell on this.