thirty four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Delaney was agitated - she had been ever since Steve contacted her. So much had happened even since the three escaped: it was like that event had been the catalyst for this big, messy explosion.

Because that was what was going on. Everything was being torn to tiny, itty bitty pieces.

Not five minutes after Steve's message, government officials – no doubt part of Ross's team – had arrived on the threshold of her hotel room. They had come to ensure she hadn't followed in the footsteps of the others and had broken the Accords. When they saw quite plainly she still resided in the hotel room, she was told in plain terms that she was forbidden to join the efforts to find Steve, Bucky, and Sam – and that a guard would be posted nearby until the matter had been cleared up.

Delaney let them know how she felt about that arrangement with a curt acknowledgement, a scowl, and a door slammed in their faces.

Though they hadn't used the term specifically, Delaney knew she was under house arrest – or hotel room arrest – on no other condition other than that she had superhuman ability and she hadn't signed the Accords.

Oh, there was also the matter that she was Steve's girlfriend. That probably didn't work in her favour.

So much for my freedom. Delaney had lashed out by slamming her fist into the wall, and her only reward was scraped and throbbing knuckles.

She'd received another, more welcome visitor later on: Delaney was surprised to see Natasha walk through the doorway, Delaney's bag with extra clothes from London in her hands.

"Thought you'd appreciate this," Nat had said lightly, and chuckled when Delaney hugged her. "You need a change of clothes. And a shower."

Delaney pulled a face. "Don't I know it."

Natasha shook her head. "Tony apologises for the guard, by the way," she said lowly. "He tried, but he couldn't convince Ross otherwise. Being the girlfriend of the elusive Steve Rogers isn't helping your cause very much."

Delaney rolled her eyes.

Natasha briefed Delaney on what was going on before she departed: apparently she, Tony, and Rhodey had been given the task to bring in Steve and the others. The thought left a sour taste in Delaney's mouth. Now things really had started to fracture in earnest, in a way that made Delaney wonder if these wounds could ever be repaired.

She showered, hoping that the hot, steaming water would take her mind off things. Instead, it just gave her room to ponder without distraction.

Steve would contact her soon, with information on Bucky. He'd then have to make a decision how to act once the others came for him.

Would they give him a chance to explain? Would they allow him to give a defence for Bucky, or would they arrest him? Or worse – would they execute him on the spot? What would become of himself and Sam if they were found? Would they be forced to sign the Accords? Or was even that too lenient? Would Ross order them to be imprisoned?

There were far too many variables. She didn't think Steve would let the government find him just yet.

Which meant they'd likely go on the run.

The only question there was what would happen to her.

Delaney let the boiling water cascade down her back as she mulled the thought over. She'd never felt more lost.

She'd just felt settled with the Accords, reassured by Natasha, Sam, and Tony. She'd accepted that despite differences, she could keep both sides of her family without signing the accursed papers. She still had a home to return to; she could still remain on good terms with those who had signed, and those who had not.