thirty

Chapter Thirty

"I wish I was going with you. Hell, I wish I had invented this."

Delaney sat perched on the end of the table as she watched Tony prepare to leave to give a presentation to a university. She munched absently on a piece of buttered toast as he finished cramming everything into a briefcase.

"Junior, your company would be most welcome than most," Tony said. He checked his watch. "You could sneak in the back perhaps? Wear sunglasses and a hood?"

Delaney snorted. "I'd look and feel like a criminal."

"Then I guess you can't tag along. Unless you use those powers of you."

Delaney pulled a face and seriously considered throwing her toast at Tony. 

"No, thanks."

He laughed, and she just rolled her eyes.

"So what are you going to up to while I'm gone?" he asked lightly. He leaned against the table's side. "Watch more romance comedies with Cap, perhaps?"

He knows that's not my favourite genre! Delaney elected to ignore the bait.

"I'll probably contact Clint. He's been away for a while."

"With his family." Tony nodded.

Delaney narrowed her eyes. Whenever something even remotely linked to the events surrounding the Ultron debacle was raised, she'd noticed that Tony became distant, though it wasn't always obvious. He still joked like his old self, but there was a certain far away look in his eyes.

Delaney knew he blamed himself for what happened with Ultron. It was difficult to argue. She knew he'd had good intentions at heart, but those good intentions had led to a disaster.

"You weren't to know," was her common argument – one that Tony didn't find very convincing.

"He's also being lazy," she said brightly, to diffuse the sudden tension in the room. "Look at us, saving the world and inventing scientific breakthroughs, and he's holidaying with his family."

"Ah, those kids are a handful though, especially with three of them. Laura would suffer if he wasn't around." Tony checked the time once again. "I have to leave, or I'll be keeping university students waiting."

Delaney pursed her lips together at the suddenness of his departure, but nonetheless waved.

"Good luck! Not that you need it."

"I'm always lucky, Hypnosis."

"Well, that streak will end if you don't leave now, or you'll end up with butter smears on that expensive suit of yours!"

He chuckled and, waving over his shoulder, he left. Delaney watched him go and sighed, air rushing out of her body as she deflated like a balloon.

"Oh, Tony," she muttered, and pinched the bridge of her nose.

She stayed like that until she remembered the last third of toast in her hand. The last few mouthfuls were stone cold. Delaney wrinkled her nose and leapt down to the ground to head to her room. She had no idea how long she'd been talking with Clint, and a table wasn't the most comfortable of places to sit for an extended period of time.

On her way she passed a room and saw Steve inside, seated at a computer. His back was turned, but Delaney noticed just how stiff his shoulders were. Her eyes caught the report on the screen and she winced, instantly understanding his reaction.