nine

Chapter Nine;

The tracer led them to an old army camp, which was no longer in use. Surrounded by high fences, they used Steve's shield to break their way in. Delaney gazed around with interest at the old buildings.

"This camp is where I was trained," Steve muttered, as they picked their way through the numerous buildings. Natasha held one of her many devices aloft, searching for any waves or signals.

"Change much?" Delaney asked.

"A little." Steve looked around – he looked wistful. And a little bit sad. Delaney tried to understand what seeing this place again would mean for him.

Delaney rested a hand on his arm. Steve smiled – it didn't reach his eyes. His face was clouded over, reminiscent. Delaney could tell that he was lost in old memories.

Delaney didn't know what she was doing – she just wanted to be there for him, to help him, to try and understand. She reached out with her mind and lightly touched his own, trying to feel closer, to let him know how sincere she was.

Her eyes widened. Images, blurred images, appeared in her mind: a soldier's battalion, the shouts of the leader... A regular training exercise, from years ago.

Delaney gasped and wrenched her mind back, eyes wide. She looked at Steve, but he didn't seem to have noticed what had just happened. Delaney touched her temple, her heartbeat quickening.

Did I just touch Steve's mind? Was I reading his mind?

No, it wasn't reading – only blurred images. Delaney groaned and pinched her nose, which earned her a concerned look from Steve. She'd never read anyone's mind before - only controlled it. 

I hate these powers. Delaney balled her fists. I hate them. They cause nothing but trouble – and I barely understand them.

"This is a dead end." Delaney's head snapped up at Natasha's voice, welcoming any form of distraction. Her friend shrugged. "Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

Delaney snorted. "Well isn't that typical?" She relieved her frustrations by kicking out at the ground – and only ended up wincing as she stubbed her toe.

Delaney wasn't paying attention to the others, so it was a surprise when Steve started to stride toward a nearby building.

"What is it?" Natasha asked. Delaney jogged to catch up to them.

"Army regulations forbid storing munitions within five hundred yards of the barracks," Steve explained. He stopped in front of the door; it was locked. "This building is in the wrong place."

He broke the lock with his shield. The door creaked open, revealing a dark corridor. Delaney exchanged glances with the other two and they stepped inside.

Lights flickered on once they entered. Delaney's eyes widened. This was no ordinary army building. Numerous desks were lined in orderly rows, computers on each one. On the back wall was S.H.I.E.L.D's symbol.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D," Natasha murmured.

Steve nodded. "Maybe where it started."

They moved through the building, which led them to a hall. Three pictures hung on a wall – a man who somewhat resembled Tony, another man, and a pretty girl with short, dark hair. Delaney's eyes were drawn to the girl. She was pretty, yes, but there was a hardness to her dark eyes but showed she was strong, fierce, and wouldn't let anybody get in her way.