twelve

Chapter Twelve;

When Delaney had been serving at S.H.I.E.L.D., she never imagined that there could be spies in their midst.

So when she, Natasha, Steve, and Sam figured out that Alexander Pierce was a H.Y.D.R.A. agent, as well as Agent Sitwell, Delaney almost spit out her second coffee of the day. She was glad she didn't. It would have been a waste of perfectly good coffee.

They still needed to figure out what was going on with Zola's Algorithm, so a plan to kidnap Agent Sitwell had been hatched. They'd enlisted Sam's help. Delaney wished they didn't have to drag him into their problems, but she'd couldn't help but be secretly glad – especially when they saw the gear Sam had used while in the army, which they would need to retrieve. Besides, she liked Sam, and was glad to have him on their side.

Getting Sam's gear had been simpler than anyone could have anticipated. Delaney merely had to approach the guards and smile and speak a few words – and the suit was Sam's, and they were on their way to grab Sitwell.

"Let me get all the information out of him," Delaney had hissed while they were waiting. "You know just one simple command will have him telling me everything there is to know."

Natasha had snorted. "That's boring. This way is more fun." There had been a wicked grin on her face – one that reminded Delaney that she never wanted to be on Natasha's bad side.

Steve chuckled. "You're our last resort."

Delaney had shrugged, though she found her own lips pulling back into a wide grin: Natasha's grins were infectious, sometimes. "I admit, I am looking forward to this."

Now, as Steve shoved Sitwell on to the roof, Delaney was glad she hadn't used her powers. The look of utter terror on Sitwell's face was too good to pass up. Sometimes Delaney thought Natasha was beginning to have a bit of an influence over her.

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm," Steve said, stalking forward.

Sitwell stumbled back. "Never heard of it."

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?"

"I was throwing up, I get seasick."

Together they advanced until they'd forced Sitwell to the edge of the roof. He yelled – Steve grabbed his jacket. Sitwell snorted.

"Is this your way of implying you're going to throw me off the roof? Because that's really not your style, Rogers."

Steve smiled. "You're right. It's not." He let go of Sitwell and patted him on the shoulders. Sitwell, momentarily, looked triumphant – and very relieved.

"It's hers."

Delaney grinned as Steve stepped aside and Natasha kicked Sitwell's abdomen; he plummeted off the roof, his screams tearing through the air.

"Hmm, you two would have time to kiss again, you know?" Natasha mused, as though nothing had happened. "You both need to continue practicing."

Delaney rolled her eyes. "Nat."

"I still stand that Delaney is a good kisser," Steve said.

"Thank you, Steve." Delaney grinned at Natasha. "I could prove it to you if you want, Nat."

Natasha smirked and opened her mouth to answer, but was cut off by a sudden scream as Sam, wearing his Falcon jet-pack, shot up into sight and threw Sitwell on the roof. Delaney wondered if it was a bad thing that she wanted to laugh. Feeling as though it would ruin the moment, though, Delaney pursed her lips into a thin line and stalked toward Sitwell with the others, glaring down at him.