twenty two

Chapter Twenty-Two;
(i apologise in advance for the bad action. this is not my forte, and i'm aware it's not the best.) 

When the new day dawned, Delaney was ready.

She didn't even try and sneak in a few extra minutes of sleep, as she was prone to do in the morning. Instead, she was up the minute her alarm sounded, and dressing in her battle uniform: leggings, and a long-sleeved shirt made of the same material as Natasha's uniform. Delaney pulled on a pair of sneakers, tied her hair in a ponytail, and put on a light jacket that was long enough to hit her belt of knives. She put on a blonde wig after: the longer she could delay people recognising her, the better.

To the average person, she looked like she was about to head for a morning jog: nothing suspicious. Nodding in satisfaction, Delaney headed for the kitchen.

She arrived at the same time as Evan. Cristina was already there, munching on a piece of toast. She offered two slices to Delaney, who scoffed them down and downed her glass of water.

As soon as she was finished, Delaney looked at her team members, utterly seriously. "Ready?"

Cristina smirked, springing to her feet. "Of course," she said, and spun her guns in her hands.

Evan rubbed his eyes. "As soon as I have morning coffee," he mumbled.

Delaney stared at him as though he'd spoken a foreign language. "What?" Evan didn't even have to fight!

Evan shrugged. Delaney cast a look at Cristina, who rolled her eyes.

"You... Just have your damn coffee," Delaney sighed, rubbing her forehead.

Five minutes later, Delaney and Cristina left a caffeinated Evan behind them, who wished them good luck. Talking as though they were out for a morning stroll, Delaney and Cristina made their way toward the building where her parents were hiding.

Delaney already knew the security cameras would be faulty, as Evan had promised them. She didn't even hesitate as she strode inside the building. She trusted her teammates with her life – that wasn't going to change any time soon.

They entered, and no alarm was set off. Smiling, Delaney and Cristina entered the elevator. Fortunately there were no other people inside, and they were the only ones.

"Get us in, Evan," Delaney ordered. She knew there was a secret door at the back of the elevator, protected by a code hidden in the control panels.

"Consider it done."

Seconds later, the elevator shuddered to life and, despite being on the ground level, descended. Delaney jumped on the balls of her feet, her hands near her knives.

It's time.

Her stomach swooped as the elevator slowed to a stop. Delaney stood directly next to Cristina as the doors opened, revealing three guards standing near the threshold.

At once, three guns were pointed at Delaney's chest. "Hands up. You're not authorised," one barked.

Delaney grinned and picked at her fingernails. "You're right," she said idly, and ripped off the wig, letting her dark hair cascade down her back. She winked as the guards took a double-take, recognising her. "But you still want me alive."

With that she kicked the nearest guard in the stomach, sending him stumbling backwards. Crisitina produced her guns and fired at him, while Delaney whipped out her knives and slashed at the other man's throat. Neither had moved: they were confused on how to act after Delaney's revelation. Delaney grinned. That was the reaction she had been banking on: confused after her revelation, and knowing the need to take her to her parents, but keep her alive. That split second of confusion was going to be her weapon.

The woman recovered somewhat and aimed at Cristina, but Cristina was faster: she let off a shot which tore through the woman's body, whose scream was cut off as Delaney knocked her out with the hilt of her knife. Nodding at Cristina, Delaney joined her friend as they ran deeper into the complex.

It wasn't large, so there weren't many corners or agents to fill the halls. It was almost effortless. Cristina shot everyone down with unnerving accuracy, while Delaney tore through the ranks, throwing her knives and spinning them, engaging in a deadly dance. Whenever they moved, they left a trail of bodies behind them.

It wasn't long until they reached the end of the hall. Delaney attempted to kick the door open, and growled when she was met with resistance.

"Evan, get this door unlocked," Delaney barked into the comm. link.

"Right away, Hypnosis!"

True to his word, it was only seconds later that the door clicked open. Delaney readjusted her grip on her knives and cast a sidewards glance at Cristina, who nodded back. Delaney looked at the door once again.

Time to end this threat, once and for all. Time to end my parents.

With a final deep breath, she and Cristina stepped inside.

Cristina closed the door behind them, but Delaney barely noticed. Her attention was fixated instead on something else: a lone figure in the centre of the room, standing calmly with his hands behind his back, though Delaney spotted the gun strapped to his waist.

Robert Esquivel.

Her father smiled. There was no hint of warmth in that smile, only cold calculation. "Delaney. My daughter." He spread his arms wide. "I'm so glad you made it home."

Delaney entered a fighting stance, readying her knives. "Where's Sara?"

"You mean your mother."

Delaney bared her teeth. "You are not family to me."

Robert Esquivel shrugged, as though her words did not bother him. "Fair enough. But we'll be reunited soon enough."

Delaney narrowed her eyes, and then gasped. "Cristina, look out!" she screamed, spinning around and throwing a knife millimetres from where Cristina stood.

A bellow of pain hit Delaney's ears, and her knife was stuck apparently in midair: though it was soon ripped out and tossed to the ground. Cristina jumped back and readied her gun once again, breathing hard.

"After you escaped, we thought we might need an extra edge to repossess you, Delaney dear," Robert called. "Your mother accepted the risks of experimentation – and she can now turn invisible."

Delaney growled lowly, but still, she was smirking.

She could sense Sara's mind.

Her parents didn't know she was not defenceless – and she was going to bring them to their knees.