Dead Tree

Ryan's P.O.V.

Five weeks after Ryan Tedder and Ramona Wood got engaged in Amsterdam, a lot had changed. Of course, a lot had changed before then, such as Brent and Addie progressing themselves into an official relationship after a course of several dates, and Zach and Lynn furthering their own. But it seemed even more had changed after.

Just two weeks into Ramona bearing the beautiful ring, a few people were shot outside the White House during a protest, moments before more governmental policies came about. One of those policies was the shutdown of any international travel, so Ryan himself was glad to have made his last out-of-the-country trip worthwhile for both he and his fiancée.

After the shutdown of travel, about forty-seven million were sent away - they either bore no citizenship or were simply born in a different country. Officials barged into their homes and told them to pack up within the hour, putting them on trains, planes, buses, cars, whatever means of travel to send them out of the country. Then the borders were closed and locked, including to trade, or at least the unnecessary bits.

Next came the country itself. They had already replaced the proud stripes and stars with a sinister black eye on a red background. What was next? Everyone thought. What was next was the national anthem. The face of the country was no longer beaming citizens and brave soldiers - just the face of an unjust leader. Ryan himself laughed at the last line, which they kept. This was not the land of the free and the home of the brave. Brave people don't cower from their governments, nor do free people. Alas, Ryan had to do as they did. He valued his life too much to do any different.

Then came the Cleansing. The first siren was this month, but it meant no different to them. The news of it was just as horrifying. They finally found out what it meant, and it gave the word "cleanse" a horrible meaning that would never be taken back.

Once a month, a siren will sound through all counties, cities, states. Everyone will hear it for twelve hours. It could be any twelve hours, too. Any day of the month as well. So no one can expect it, no one can prepare to fight back. For twelve damned hours men with heavy gear and guns barge into the homes of middle and lower class citizens and murder. Why not first class? Why would they get any different? People asked. That was a question they never answered, but they didn't really need to. Because of this, Lynn and Addie moved in with their boyfriends to be bumped up to first class. Brent and Addie offered Johana a place in their home, which she gladly took. No one took the risks.

As soon as they released the news of the monthly massacre, they also told people of the brands. A sweet, permanent little wrist accessory for people to identify who you are. At least it was little for them. A chain for the lower class, because they were slaves being dragged along in mud by the government. An anvil and mallet for the middle class, because they were still peasants of their leaders, but still above the slaves, still working and...well, somewhat valuable. Lastly, a crown for the upper class. Because they are apparently royalty, treated oh-so-fairly by the higher ranks. As much as Ryan hated this injustice, he couldn't complain. His life meant too much. Ramona meant too much.

Just a month after that, and the music industry got the next blow. Well, art did in general, no one allowed to express themselves in any way. But music may have gotten hit the hardest, especially for the songwriters and producers who loved what they did. No, they tore apart singers and many people lost their jobs, depending only on the money they made prior. Fifty made it in. Thousands of others did not, including those sent out of the nation like Ryan's dear friend Adele to the U.K., Icelandic band Of Monsters and Men, and many more. They held competitions for each state, however, for the American artists and bands. Some took the top three places. If number one dropped out, the second would take their place. With these fifty artists, they also took over the songwriting and producing, making their music only what the citizens would like, most likely the mainstream things, according to many of the artists. It was now illegal to own anything other than what the government made for you, so any old records were to be tossed out.