An Approaching Army

Ryan's P.O.V.

A little over a week later, that next Friday, the formal party Nikki told Ryan of was about to begin. Ryan and Ramona had arrived just ten minutes before, getting out of his car - he in a black suit and she in a form-fitting black dress. Ryan stood in place a moment to take a look at the venue.

It was just outside Los Angeles - now being covered in sunset - and the building was monumental, with more window than wall in places. Inside, Ryan could see bright lights coming from chandeliers, and people outside were bathed in it as they walked across the huge lawn from parking lots and streets. However, looking past the sea of shiny parked cars around them, Ryan frowned as he also saw a few cop cars at the front and the officers with black uniforms and guns lurking around.

Ramona's shoulder grazed his and he looked over. She was also looking at the scene, but more than anything, she was gazing at the building.

"You alright?" He asked her. Ramona looked up at him, a few strands of hair in her face lightly dancing with the breeze.

"Yeah."

Her voice was light and airy and he knew she was lying because of it.

"What's wrong?"

Ramona looked away, her sad eyes sighing at the people.

"I haven't gone out and been around people in almost exactly two months, you know that?"

Ryan stiffened his back and took a deep breath before saying, "You'll be fine, Ramona."

"Will I? It feels weird and uncomfortable. Not to mention that I'm not in the mood for dealing with your manager."

"Yeah," He sighed, "She's definitely going to want to talk to you."

After he said this, though, there was a pause, making him look over again. Ramona was still solemnly looking at everything else but him.

"Ramona, you'll be okay. Nothing will happen, it's just a dinner." Ryan told her. Ramona looked up at him, but didn't reply. Her eyes looked like they were searching for something in him. He only gave her a small smile and held out a bent elbow, which she glanced at.

"Shall we?" He asked. Ramona took a deep breath, but eventually put her hands around his arm and they crossed the street into damp grass.

When they entered the building after passing security, they didn't go more than ten seconds before Zach and Lynn approached them. Or rather Lynn, with her bright hair swinging and a vibrant red evening gown on, popped out of a crowd and threw her arms around Ramona, then Ryan. Zach soon followed, hugging the both of them as well.

"We were waiting for someone to arrive!" Lynn exclaimed. Ryan nodded, "Where are the others?"

"Should be here soon." Zach answered. Almost on cue upon Ryan's looking around did Brent and Addie enter the room. Addie spotted their friends first, and dragged Brent to them by his tie, the same color blue as her dress.

"Hey!" She exclaimed, hugging the two other girls. Brent gave a silent wave, and then there was nothing from them. Every group around them was still talking.

"I would say we should go into the other room but Nikki's been sniffing around for the rest of you guys," Zach told him. Then he looked at Ryan, "Especially you."

Ryan's stomach turned as he gave a small scowl at the thought.

"What's the other room?" Addie asked.

"A giant dance floor surrounded by tables. There's also a stage with a band playing and a bar at the back."

"Then I will be heading immediately to the bar!" Someone familiar shouted behind them, making people glance over. They turned to see Johana - who even Ryan didn't expect - approaching them with an amused grin. Even less expected was what she was wearing. Ryan thought the only time he'd see Johana in a dress would be when the other girls forced her into one at his wedding.