Neck-Deep

Ryan's P.O.V.

They were the fourth and last artist to perform at the concert. It had started at seven, but now it was eight thirty. Bruno Mars - having won Hawaii - had just gotten off of the stage and they were preparing to go on. Ryan was nervous. He'd barely memorized the lines of their second single because he was too busy being anxious about performing the track they weren't even supposed to perform. The track that would start a nationwide revolution. If all went well, that is.

Yet before long they were walking on. Ryan was following the other four. His legs felt weak as he went up the stairs to the stage. He felt the guards standing on the sides of the stage - the guards he'd bribed with five hundred each to keep everyone off of the stage during their third song, all for two minutes of the crowd's time. Ryan only had to hope that five hundred for all four of them was enough for them to keep their word. He also hoped that no one would shoot at them. That he couldn't stop, even with all his money.

Ryan felt like he blacked out during his walk across the stage. He was alarmed to come back to the cheers of the crowd and a microphone in front of him. His heart was pounding. But if he wanted to start a revolution, he had to be more confident. And get through two separate cringe-worthy songs.

"Hey, Los Angeles, how you doin'?" He shouted, faking a smile as he put a hand up at them. The crowd cheered. His ears were ringing.

Ryan looked back at the other guys. Eddie and Brent were looking down at their instruments or their feet. Drew looked nervous and ready at the same time. Zach, however, was angry with Ryan. Naturally. They'd almost had another argument about the secret track backstage, even though Zach had already agreed to performing with them, knowing that Ryan was right about Zach being dragged into it whether or not he wanted to be. Ryan managed to evade the fight, though. Besides, if he had to think about it anymore, he'd probably retch.

"This first song is called Out of Reach." Ryan declared, looking back at the crowd. Then, without much warning, the other guys had started the song.

Oh, he thought singing the words in a recording booth was bad! Yet between anxiety concerning the rebellious track as well as the horrible lyrics that were about to come out of his mouth, his lunch was ready to come out the wrong end.

"The sky is colored from all the pills I took, I see swirls everywhere I look, and here I am on the Cali beach, out of reach," He sung, "I've been drinkin' all week, some people call me a freak, but here I am on a Florida beach, out of reach."

He did his best to look like he was having fun, as he usually did while performing. He thought he was doing okay for feeling sick to his stomach. The crowd seemed to enjoy it, nonetheless.

"I'm out of reach, out of reach, I'm out of reach, out of reach."

Yes, out of reach. He felt as if he was floating on air, and he didn't need drugs to do that. He just needed distant, nagging thoughts about everything that could go wrong tonight. He could be shot as soon as anyone realizes it's a anti-government song that they're performing. He can't exactly lead a revolution if he's dead, now can he?

"My mind is spinning in a bottomless pit, I'm crazy, I'll be the first to admit, but here I am on the Cali beach, out of reach."

His mind was surely spinning. No more than his stomach, though. That's also what could go wrong. What if the stage was soon covered in his lunch instead of his blood? He wasn't sure what exactly he preferred at this point.

"I'm not quite sure where I'm touching you, all I know is your face is blue, but here I am on a Florida beach, out of reach."

Ryan also soon realized that Ramona didn't know a thing, still. He almost felt bad for not telling her, but the worst feeling surrounding her was how she would react once she found out that they'd started a rebellion.