Ripped Away

Ryan's P.O.V.

At the studio the next evening, Zach and Brent both lazily strummed guitars, Drew sat on his phone eating food, and Eddie was messing with a lighter, lightly moving his hand over the flame every time it appeared. Ryan, however, watched Josh in a glare as Josh was at the soundboard, his headphones on. He was producing the track Ryan was supposed to be producing.

Ryan wasn't the type to get jealous. He was the type to step up and do something about it, usually. Usually. But in the case where he steps up and gets killed by the government soon after, all he can do is sit back and get jealous instead.

"This morning an entire news crew was killed for 'questioning the government.'" Drew suddenly said from the couch across the room.

"No offense, Drew, but I don't care, and I don't think anyone else does either." Eddie replied after the silence that ensued. There was nothing more, and Drew hadn't even looked disappointed. He looked as if he expected as much.

Ryan turned back to Josh, his eyes narrowing at the back of his head. He felt horrible being so angry, but couldn't help the rage within him. He missed doing what he loved. He missed the feel of the soundboard on his fingers, the way the music flowed through his veins and came through every one of his actions. There was nothing like the joy and satisfaction of a beautifully finished piece.

But Joshua Sparks took all of that away from him, and it was likely that he wasn't even as passionate about it as Ryan, that was very likely. He probably didn't even enjoy sitting where he was in the slightest.

Nikki stormed in, making all except Josh jump, as he didn't hear her past his headphones. Nikki stomped straight over to Josh and tapped him on the shoulder with a long nail. Josh turned, putting his headphones down on his shoulders.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Do the rest of the track at home, and start doing that from now on as soon as all of them have done their work and you have all you need from them."

She made a slightly dismissive gesture at the five guys. All of them now paid full attention.

"Why are you doing that?" Drew asked as he put his phone away.

"You are now required only the minimum amount of time by the soundboard and in the booth, as long as Josh is here."

"And when he's not?" Ryan raised an eyebrow.

Nikki looked at him with a glint in her eye, a malicious one.

"You are still to be here."

"Not home."

"Not home." She repeated. Ryan was going to be damned if he stayed away from Ramona - who currently needed him - just to sit on a couch and do nothing.

But Nikki seemed to know exactly what Ryan was thinking, and he was absolutely certain she did everything deliberately. Why else would she be looking at him specifically?

"Oh, and I've left a camera outside, so I'll know if you leave to go home. It is by the government's regulations that you stay here ready for Josh to ret----"

"Nikki, that's ridiculous," Zach almost laughed as he shook his head. Nikki was forced to look at him.

"If you really think we'll be staying here just to do nothing, staying away from our girlfriends and fiancees just to sit here and wait around for someone we don't even know is gonna show up - you're mistaken."

"Actually, no, I'm not. You'll be fired."

Zach got up in a rage - though still, somehow, keeping a calm composure. Ryan was ready to yell himself.