Aslan

In the morning, everyone is up and moving. Aslan is there, and this time, she does not react to any extreme extent. She explains that she can see Aslan and that he is there, but that no one can see him but her. Edmund believes as he always does, strongly. Just as strongly, Trumpkin doubts. But Peter agrees to go with Lucy's story, and he is the last say, so they all go with Lucy's story.

Lucy follows Aslan and they follow Lucy.

Soon, Edmund's eyes go wide. "Lu..." he whispers.

"Yeah?"

"I can see him," he says, just as low and awed.

Lucy beams at her brother and then he joins Lucy, walking next to her and following Edmund, instead of following Lucy who follows Aslan.

"Ed, do you know where we're going?" Susan asks, seeing his sure footing and predicted turns even before Lucy turns.

"Well, yeah," he says. "I can see him."

Susan is extremely frustrated. Maybe that is what keeps her witheld. Maybe her hesitation to believe fully because she doesn't want to admit that her younger sister could be somehow more important than her in some way is what keeps her from seeing Aslan. But what makes her different? What makes her so special-and Edmund as well-as to see Aslan while Peter, Trumpkin, and herself cannot?

Peter figures it out first. Lucy's pure, never-wavering faith in the lion lets her see him. And Edmund's never-wavering faith in Lucy turned to faith in Aslan, and therefore, he saw him as well. He had but to stop doubting and start believing. Suddenly, he could see Aslan too.

He joined Lucy. "I will never doubt you ever again," he says to her softly, looking to Aslan. That is when Lucy and Susan both realize that Peter can now also see Aslan. Susan feels left out and irritated. This is not usual, as she is normally calm and collected. She'd always been kind and gentle, but it seemed that the world had put her on edge. She was not being so gentle anymore to the boys in her actual world, who found interest in her. She was not being gentle with her brothers, who were either had their heart broken or their pride broken every single day. She had not been gentle to Lucy, who's persistent positivity had frustrated Susan, since she struggled to stay afloat in the midst of the many emotions she'd had since leaving Narnia.

Maybe, just maybe, she needed to be gentle again to see Aslan. She thought of how Lucy was always happy. She was young and had strong beliefs that strengthened her. The only thing keeping Susan from being just as Lucy, was simply herself. Edmund was broken, leaving the girl he loved for so long, and must be hurting being back and not being with her. Peter may be high king again, in the lead and in control, but he was out of his element. He had to get directions in his kingdom from a dwarf. And he'd been treated like a kid so long, even after having grown up. Grown up a king, nonetheless.

Something switched in Susan and she stepped up next to Edmund. "I'm sorry," she whispered, taking his hand. "I can't imagine how it must feel to have lost her. To be back, without her."

Edmund felt really good, finally getting support from his sisters. They'd mainly avoided the topic and Edmund has felt very alone, unable to talk about his problems to people who refused to talk. "Thank you," he told her. He smiled and she returned it.

She had total faith in Peter and Edmund. They were boys physically, but kings mentally, and that's what mattered. They weren't crazy or silly. She had no reason to doubt them. After a while, she couldn't deny that if they weren't crazy, neither was Lucy. Lucy was simply special in her love and faith for Aslan. Susan realized it was not Lucy getting in the way of Susan, but again her getting in the way of herself. Once she accepted that, she couldn't deny that As;lan was there, and when she saw him, she smiled.

Now it really was undeniable.

They have now come into view of Aslan's How-the Stone Table-and he turns to them. He breaths on the children, and courage and energy fills them. "I have sent a messenger ahead. She will be waiting for you."

He said she. Not her, she. He referred to the woman as a regular person, instead of a Queen.

"I still don't see him," Trumpkin grumbled, angered and hard that these children could see this imaginary Legend he'd grown up going to bed to. Trumpkin didn't believe, and that wasn't changing.

Aslan went right in front of Trumpkin and let out a bellowing roar. Trumpkin's eyes went wide and he fell to his knees, as he saw the Lion in all its glory and felt weak.

"Do you see me now?" Aslan asked, smiling.

Lucy giggled and even Edmund could not repress a low chuckle. Trumpkin simply stared.

"Now you must go," Aslan says. "Go back, and join forces."

"Are you not joining us?" Lucy asked, looking at him.

"No. You must continue alone."

The children look back at their friend sadly, then nod, moving on. Trumpkin rises slowly and follows silently. Soon, they arrive.