Rising Above

"TREACHERY!" The man screamed. My eyes went wide. Did this lunatic want a war?! "THEY SHOT HIM!" He added just as loudly, pointing to our archers, which looked at each other, confused. The few who actually had bows drawn had arrows still notched in their bows. No one shot him. "THEY MURDERED OUR KING!" Then the man pulled up the sword from the ground and ran back to the army. The Telmarines.

"Get ready!" Peter shouted, turning to his troops. Someone ran forward and a voice called out Peter's name. Peter knocked out of his stupor to step forward, pulling up his sword, and attacking back. Block, slice through the midriff, slice to sever the head.

So Peter could do it.

But again, n the head of battle, it was different.

After that, chaos began.

Peter and Ed ran to get to their horses, Peter yelling over his shoulder for us to go. I swung onto the horse that I've always had and Caspian onto his, both of us watching a second, watching. The army charged and Susan's voice could be heard shouting orders.  Then Caspian looked at me, we exchanged nods, and then ran into the How, the sounds of war beginning behind us. As we reached our little army underneath, Caspian pulled up a torch he'd snagged from the wall on our way here. "NARNIANS!" he yelled. "NOW!" The word drug ut as he turned and we all yelled, racing after him to where we were to begin.

A horn.

"One," I whispered. "Two," I continued counting.

"Three. Four." I looked over at Caspian and we both counted so the other could hear, ticking off the seconds together.

"Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve."

"NOW!" Caspian shouted. Weapons swung and the small support beams for the ground above us caved, taking down a few Telmarines with it. Some of the army down with the fallen Earth, I raged into the war, being de-horsed way too soon. On my feet, I desperately fought to keep myself alive and I caught slight registration that arrows had flown. Full out war raged around me and I all I saw were enemies. I cut one down, two more popped up.

Then the Eagles came.

Everything was going well. The ground had taken a few, the arrows some more, and now the Eagles even more. Our forces in the heat of battle cut down soldiers solidly and I suddenly had some hop we'd win.

With that hope came energy.

Then the Earth started shaking. Not where I was, but behind me. At he How. I turned for a second to see a rock hit the How and the structure began to crumble. They'd been trying to retreat, as it finally sounded next to me. I was hurt, my leg hit weird, so I limped back, being swept up on the back of a passing centaur. I looked for Edmund and saw him next to Caspian and Peter.

Those three always seemed to be together...

The troops reunited and turned to face Miraz's army more solidly, not as hopeful or as sure of victory, but even more determined. If we were going to die, which we were going to, then it would be with a bang.

Peter met my gaze first as he check to see if everyone of his close friends and family members were okay. Then Caspian. Then Susan. Then finally Edmund. He instantly relaxed, his eyes wide and terrified when he didn't see me. Peter pointed me out and when our gazes locked, Edmund was immediately okay, nodding to me and getting a nod in return. He looked forward as I was put gently on the ground, hissing as I was st on my foot. It didn't hurt that badly, I just rolled wrong. But it did hurt. Thankfully Edmund didn't notice. Susan joined the boys and I was glad I was where I was. Lucy might not have been here, but I wasn't meant to be with them. They were the rulers of Narnia. The rightful Kings and Queen.

I was simply the one that took over when they left.

Racing forward as well, I was in the battle again, cutting down soldiers and desperately staying alive. Centaurs and Satyrs attacked the approaching forces, jumping up and down on the shielded men. Caspian fell back, being overwhelmed, and before I could run to his aid I was attacked by Telmarines. It was three against one and I was losing my grip. Block, block, block, block. I couldn't get any attacks in and if anyone else attacked me I was doomed. My sword was becoming heavy and I wasn't used to using it.

It stayed at my side at all times but I had used the bow for so long. I'd learned to use a sword since, as leader, I'd had to be able to lead an army with my sword as well as fight face to face with an opponent. Arrows weren't so useful short distances.

But I still preferred a bow.

Then a root shot from the ground, entwining itself around my opponents and dragged them away. I gasped, turning, and smiled as I saw saw the trees. "Lucy," I registered verbally. I heard movement to my side and blocked just in time. Once I killed that soldier, I looked over. The troops were running away...

"FOR ASLAN!" Peter shouted. So, of course, I ran after them. I was running by myself for a while until someone joined me, pulling me toward the side. I looked over to see Caspian. I ran with him and we joined Edmund and Peter. That's when we saw Lucy. She drew a blade, stopping the armies from going further than the river. But then Aslan stepped up.

The army began going forward again until Aslan roared. The Earth shook like back at the How, when the trees had pushed through the ground or the How had been attacked. Except bigger somehow. The water itself moved, a body being forward. The river became a water man, a river God, pulling up the bridge and destroying most of the Telmarines. The ones that survived were weak and weaponless and gave up immediately.

The river settled and we all looked at each other, smiling victoriously.

We'd won.