The Fight Begins

Realizing it was over, Edmund and I left. My jaw was locked and my back stung as I felt eyes follow me as I returned. My fists still bawled and my jaw locked, Edmund and I were silent as we went. His eyes would flick to me every few seconds, not sure what Miraz had meant and not sure if he wanted to know.

When we got back Edmund told Peter everything going on and plans started to be made again. I couldn't hear anything. My ears rang with sound and I simply stood there, waiting for them to be done and my part to be given so I could get to work.

The girls were to escape. The only reason both Susan and Lucy went was because Lucy had to get to Aslan and Susan had to protect her. The horse would only take two people, but I'd have been staying even if it had seated three. Edmund was torn between keeping me safe and keeping me near him, but in the end it didn't matter and the argument we'd have had was pointless. We only had one horse.

As Caspian got the girls ready to go, Edmund approached me. "What was that about?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to avoid the question as I fixed my armor of the problems it didn't have. He grabbed my hands, moving them away so he knew I wouldn't have an excuse to ignore him.

"Ann?" He asked in a low voice. "What did he mean?"

"He was referring to you as an it. Your attitude in the meeting was what he meant. Your correcting him and your sass. I knew he meant you because for the shortest millisecond his eyes flicked to you when he said 'it'. Otherwise I can't prove it. But he insulted you. He referred to you as an it because he couldn't outright say your name and if he said him it would be obvious. Plus the whole insulting part. He was mocking you not only as a boy, but as a King. As less than a human. Not only did he mock my King, he mocked my boyfriend." I shook my head, glaring at my feet.

"Fiance," Edmund corrected in a quiet voice, leaning his forehead on mine.

For the first time in what seemed forever, I smiled. Really, widely smiled. "Fiance," I agreed. Quiet fell and we just sighed, breathing each other in. We hadn't had a moment in a long time. For him, years. For me, centuries. It was weird to have him back. After being alone so long. It was weird to see him here again, looking at me and talking to me and thinking of me. Older than when he came the first time, younger than when he left. My Edmund, but in a different state. He was my age now, if maybe a year older.

After so long, it wasn't just weird. It was amazing. The moment was heavy and well deserved and when his lips ghosted mine, I was less surprised and more eager. I hadn't seen him move but I didn't care.

A cough and the moment shattered. We looked over to see Caspian. He was accompanied by Peter, and both looked awkward and regretful. "Hate to interrupt..." Caspian began.

"It's time?" Edmund asked. Peter nodded. We all headed out to the field, a kind of serious but still awkward silence between us. We left to hear roars and shouts. From our men, for Peter. And from their men, for Miraz.

When we approached, the centaur guarding the war grounds the two Kings would fight on nodded at Peter. Peter nodded back and Caspian split off as I walked as far as Edmund did. The centaur turned as we approached, his eyes always on his King and his stance ready to protect him. It was intense as we waited.

Edmund stretched out Peter's sheath and Peter drew his sword. More cheers from behind us. Miraz drew his sword. No movement or sound as Peter and Miraz slowly moved into the fighting area, approaching each other slowly. "There's still time to surrender," Miraz reminded Peter.

"Feel free," Peter replied. I didn't even bother to hide my smirk.

"How many more must die for the throne?" Mirax taunted. I saw Peter's hand tighten on his hilt and I prayed that Peter wouldn't let his anger control him. Yes, he was a King. A High King. A High King of old. He was well versed in battling and had years of experience... But he hadn't fought in a while. From what I'd heard from Lucy, Peter had gotten into fight after fight back home in London. He'd gotten used to his anger controlling him.

Would he be a King? Or a boy?

"Just. One," Peter answered, pulling down his helmet. Then the two shouted and began fighting.