Obscure {Erthanist PoV}

"Lady Erthanist, you have returned quite quickly from hunting." Legolas comments, walking around a pillar. I do not stand from my kneeling place beside the still pool, but I nod. 

"Indeed, Prince Legolas. It was only a short excursion through the hidden pass to the border and back. Supper will be supplemented with the geese we brought back," I sigh, "Did you hunt in Greenwood, my lord?" 

"Not often. Our lands were plagued with spiders which killed off the creatures and plants with sickness." 

"So I have heard. T'is a tragedy, for my father spoke highly of the magnificence of the Woodland Realm." 

"Why did you not accompany him?" 

"I was in Lothlórien." 

"The Golden Wood? Why?" 

"My mother Lady Aglareldes was seeking repose, and my parents wished for me and my younger brother Arnolan to train with the Galadhrim." His ice-blue eyes betray his befuddlement and I contain a chuckle. As Legolas stares into space whilst processing this new information, I get a better look at him. He is very handsome and strong, but also conveys an air of innocence that justly compliments his appearance. Yet his serious mask does little to conceal numbed pain. 

"Where are your mother and brother?" He inquires with a gentler tone than before. 

"My mother left for Valinor almost one hundred years ago. My brother decided to follow her, departing before we left Mithlond to return here. I miss them both very dearly." 

"Were you born in Middle-Earth?" 

"Yes, both I and Arnolan were born in Mithlond." Silence slowly overwhelms us, and I return to treading through the cold water with my hand. 

"Your father is especially wise and intelligent." 

"He is, and more. My mother was also. What of your parents?" I carefully question, knowing well that his mother was killed in Gundabad and that his father has grown cold. Legolas inhales sharply, placing his hands behind his back and turning towards the sunset. 

"My mother Gilrin was the kindest and most loving soul you could hope to meet. My father is now the opposite, but he is very intelligent." He at last spits, his eyes sparking with pain at the mention of his mother. 

"Prince Legolas, you walk in obscurity of the mind and heart." He snaps around with a quickness that nearly startles me. 

"I am perfectly clear of mind and heart, Lady Erthanist." 

"Is your conscience true?" 

"Yes." 

"Then I cannot dissuade you." I sigh and stand, straightening my dress. "I must see to supper." 

"Allow me to walk with you then." 

"Very well." 

Legolas almost eagerly offers his hand, and I slowly reach to take it, but he quickly takes it back. It is as if he is scared of me. I shake it off and we make our way to the kitchens, where he drops me off. I watch him out of the corner of my eye as he limps away, likely headed for his quarters. Father enters soon after. 

"You are becoming quite engaged in conversing with the Prince, Erthanist."

"Engaged? T'is not so, father. It would be him who is engaging me." 

"Erthanist, do remember what I have told you." 

"Yes, father." I reply, looking up at him from the goose I am preparing. He sighs and strokes my cheeks. 

"You have so much of your mother's beauty."

"I like to believe that I inherited the best from each of my parents." 

"Quite so." We both chuckle and he sets to helping me with the geese. It is actually a favorite activity to cook and bake together, our family used to do it often. 

"Father, why do you disapprove of the Prince?" 

"I am only wary and cautious. Though you are ancient to mortals you are still young and tender in our society, and I have seen the how Sindar can become when they interact with our kind." 

"I trust your judgement, father." He smiles and plants a kiss on my forehead. 

"Promise me that you will be careful." 

"I will, father." 

"Excellent." 

I hear the faintest rustling outside the kitchen window and cast a sidelong glance to see a flash of silvery white blonde hair. 

"Legolas..." 

Thanks for reading!

~Uilosris