Confession {Erthanist PoV}

A\N: Thanks so much to HerImperialMajesty99 for inspiration and ideas!

"Legolas, please no! I care for you too deeply to let you go!" I shout, on the brink of sobbing as I try to reach Legolas before the river overwhelms him. The water is already to his jaw. When I saw him nearly go under, my heart usurped control from my mind. Now I'm completely focused on saving him no matter the cost. "Please, Valar, spare him! Spare him!" I cry, leaping over the rocks. Legolas turns around to look at me, and I feel a spark of hope when I see the emotion in them. I keep running, expecting him to move, but he's fixed there to the riverbed, staring at me and completely ignoring the wave of water coming around a sharp bend. I gulp, chills coming over my body.

"Erthanist!!" He calls, just as a wall of white rapids crashes down on him. The sound of him simply speaking my name would be enough for me to swoon, but instead I choke on tears as I change course to intercept Legolas in the river. He is not a strong swimmer, he was raised with the calm forest rivers of Greenwood. I have to reach him before he drowns or is crushed, whichever comes first.

I throw off my cloak and rip my skirts, discarding whatever I can to lighten myself before I dive into Bruinen. I can make out Legolas' beautiful white blonde hair and green attire well enough to follow the current and grab hold of his hand. I have to pull hard to get him to the surface, and swim even harder to move to the edges of the river. "You'll be fine and well, fine and well..." I whisper, repeating it either for Legolas or myself. He's already lost consciousness, and is dangerously cold.

When at last I haul the both of us out onto the bank, rather close to Imladris proper, I pump the water from his lungs and strip off his outer layers before running as fast as possible to Elrond, offering more prayers to the Valar as I hasten, carrying the elf prince in my arms. "Lord Elrond! Lord Elrond! Come fast! Legolas needs your aid!" I call and barrel into the healing chamber, gently setting Legolas on a cot and grabbing anything I can think of to help him.

"Lady Erthanist-?!" Elrond begins, entering the chamber with healers. The moment he sees me and Legolas, he snaps into his healing persona and bluntly orders Lindir to escort me home at once.

"No, Lord Elrond, I must stay with him!"

"You are nearly as bad as Legolas. Go home, bathe, warm up and change. Tend to your own wounds." He commands. Lindir grasps my elbow and leads me out without another word, but I fight his hold. I glance a final time at Legolas, cold and blue, before the doors slam closed.

"Let me go, Lindir."

"Not until you're tended to."

"Lindir..."

"M'lady, you need to take care of yourself first."

"No! That's not how this works! I need to be with Legolas!"

"Lady Erthanist, your father would string us from the cliff if something happened to you." I bite my lip and silence, no longer fighting the well meaning elf as he takes me back home. Two maids assist me, and make certain that I bathe and etcetera. All in total quiet.

My mind having regained control, I pass two hours in memory and ponderance. All my thoughts point to Legolas, worsening the heartache I feel for him. Why hadn't I done something when he burst into my chambers? I could have done more than fall to the floor. I could have prevented this, couldn't I?

I jolt up off of the bed and march my way to the healing chambers in time to catch Elrond as he is leaving the room. "Lord Elrond."

"Ah, Erthanist, I'm very glad to see you cleaned up and whole."

"How is he?"

"Hypothermia, and multiple minor injuries. He wounded both arms in the river's rage. But he shall recover from this." I exhale with relief. To be grateful is an understatement of how I feel. My heart warms, swelling considerably.

"Thank you, Lord Elrond."

"You saved him in the nick of time. It is you who deserve the gratitude," I reply with nothing and he sighs, "He is not yet awake, but you may see him now."

"Thank you." He opens the door for me and I enter quickly, shutting it behind me. But for a few candles on wall sconces and the gentle flames on the hearth, the room is comfortably dark. I softly tread to the cot and kneel at the bedside, "Legolas..."

I gently stroke his forehead and cheeks, then trace his jawline. His skin is still very cold. His breath is raspy, but improved from earlier. I lay my head against the mattress and sigh, folding myself closer to Legolas.

"Erthanist...?" Comes a weak whisper. My breath hitches and I sit up straight, my eyes snapping to Legolas.

"O, Legolas, you're awake." I smile, "A little color has returned to you." Reclining upon a fortress of warm pillows, Legolas is restrained from moving much. I then notice the bandages on his arms and upper chest, as he is not draped in a tunic, and frown. His icy blue eyes are half opened, but I can clearly see a changed light to them.

"Erthanist, you saved me." He whispers, his fingers groping for my hand. I clasp it and move closer. The firmness of his grip surprises me considering his current state. "You rescued me."

"I had to."

"Why?"

"My heart would have never lived again if I had let you go." I whisper.

"Why, Erthanist?"

"Why would you want to kill yourself, Legolas? Why?" I blurt out. He lowers his gaze.

"I wanted to forget. I wanted to be free of pain and suffering. I-I wanted to be free of emotion..." He answers with sorrow and regret, guilt wraps around my heart, "I felt that I needed to die because I failed."

"Legolas, what do you mean?" In a second, Legolas escalates.

"Erthanist, I would have killed myself if you, the one who has become my lifeline, had not convinced me in that instant that I was cared for!" He vents, startling me. He sighs and releases my hands, resting back against the cushions, "I tried so hard to make myself as cold and stony as my father, and against you, I failed. You scared me." His voice wanes into a whisper and I gulp, biting my lip. Silence envelops Imladris.

"Legolas, you aren't just cared for. You're loved very deeply," I finally confess, "I couldn't let you die because I have come to love you. I may have thought it was a light fancy, but now I know and swear upon the Valar that I am in love with you." I reach for his hand and squeeze it, feeling a heavy burden lift from my shoulders. "I am so very sorry to have caused you agony. I only hope that you will never again consider ending your own life to be rid of pain. I beg this of you." He  slowly threads his fingers through mine, entwining them as if I could vanish with the breath of night wind. I look at him. His icy blue eyes are now fully open and his breathing has quickened. He's warming up, too.

"Erthanis, say it again," He pleads, gripping my hand tighter. His knuckles turn white, "I need to hear it." His voice is a mix of constricted emotion now. I smile and grab his other hand, stroking it as I squeeze the one in which our fingers are knotted. His eyes, with silver tears, glisten in firelight.

"I love you, Legolas. I love you..," I repeat, becoming more emotional with each repetition, "I love you." This time, I kiss his hands.

He catches me off guard, pulling me onto the cot and into a strong, needy embrace, "I've finally found love, and I love you, Erthanist." He cries. I hug him back as he sobs into my shoulder. "I need you."

He pulls back only a little so that we can see each other clearly. I've never seen him so blissfully happy. I smile, tears welling up to match his own. He pulls me back into his arms and I relax. Legolas sighs, and cranes his neck to reach my cheek, planting a very affectionate kiss there. I blush.

"I love you."

The story's not over yet, but I hope everyone enjoys this long chapter! Please vote and comment!

~Uilosris