Solace {Legolas PoV}

Just as I lean back, removing my lips from hers, I notice that she is beginning to stir. Not as if she is awakening, but as if she is squirming to escape. I back away from her, thinking it might be me. To my befuddlement she continues to wrestle and writhe, rapidly becoming more animated. I at least can for sure determine whether she is injured, because I notice no straining or favoring of any limbs and complete smoothness in her movements. A healthy sign. Just as I release a breath of relief, from her lips comes a strange noise between a shriek and a whimper, "Erthanist, meleth-nin..?" 

"Stay away!" She pleas, her eyes not opening as her face twists with fear and pain. I press the back of my hand to her forehead to check for any signs of fever, even though she is an elf, and find none. 

"Erthanist, awaken!" I coo, at a loss of what else to do besides shake her. This does not seem to help. Her back arches and she lets out a mortifying scream, mixed with cries to leave her alone and other sobs I cannot decipher, "Erthanist!!" I shake her again, this time with desperation, to bring her out of this nightmare. 

At last her eyes open and the screaming ceases. I release her arms, "... Legolas,.. you found me..." 

"Yes, meleth. Are you hurt anywhere?" I decide to put off asking about what went on with her and Glorfindel, seeing how she is at the moment. After a few moments she shakes her head and motions for me to help her sit up. I gently wrap my hands around her arms and pull her upwards, ignoring the pop-suck noises of the mud, "You fell off of Beldal, it seems." 

"It wasn't her fault. I shouldn't have worn my cloak. It got snagged upon a limb and when I reached back to release it, Beldal reared in panic and my hands weren't on the reins, so I ended up here..," She groans, "I probably look like an orc by now." In her defense, she spent hours in slimy black mud and is caked in it, but I really do not mind it. I lean closer and kiss her again. 

"Nay, meleth-nin. It is I who most likely looks as such." She chuckles and I smile. 

"You're not half as filthy as I am, meleth. Still as handsome as ever." 

"And you're still the most beautiful elleth to me. I do not mind the mud. I am happy to have found you well." This time she leans in and I shift to meet her in the middle. 

"AI!" She gasps, growing pale. She goes rigid and I narrow my eyes in worry as she hisses. 

"What is it, Erthanist!?" 

"My knife belt..." She winces and I glance down to her hips, where a mud-crusted war girdle is tied an angled blade slicing through her kirtle. I gulp and remove what mud I can from there, and my jaw sets when crimson replaces the black filth. I reach around her waist to steady her and locate four others, also pricking through. 

"Oh, meleth..." I gasp. 

"It's not so bad, Legolas." Her voice, strangely steady and in control, breaks through the newly formed haze in my head. 

"It's a wonder you haven't bled out, Erthanist!" I scold, currently at an impasse as I formulate a plan to take care of the wounds. 

"Legolas, it's fine. Did you bring any supplies with you?" 

I blanch, remembering Glorfindel. He had prepped Asfaloth for me and I remember him stowing numerous items when I was trying to put the headstall on Asfaloth, "Stay here, I believe there may be some with Asfaloth." 

"Adar-nin allowed you to ride Asfaloth!?" 

"Yes. I had no choice in the matter, to be precise. He pushed me into the stall and got him ready. Now, Erthanist, stay still until I return." She nods and I kiss her on her cheeks before hurrying back to Asfaloth, who is waiting patiently outside where I cut the path. I nearly cheer for joy to see the saddlebags full. Asfaloth nickers as I rush over and unbuckle the first. A collection of medicines and supplies. I unlatch it and move to the second. Packed neatly inside are fresh clothes. Upon closer inspection, I find one change for both myself and Erthanist. Glorfindel found her riding habit and mine, which Erthanist made for me during the high days. 

I leave it with Asfaloth and return to Erthanist, who beams at me. I set the satchel next to us and I first work on cleaning off the mud and other filth using the flask of water stashed inside, then remove the belt. Erthanist takes over for the most part, asking me to scout out any possible rivers or creeks near here while she finishes taking care of her wounds. I leave my knives with her and do as she requests, leaving Asfaloth with her, and climbing into the trees. I spot a small ravine some distance away and climb back down to tell her, but I find her sobbing instead. I rush to her and envelop her in my arms, "Erthanist, what is wrong?" 

She doesn't answer, just sinks into my embrace, melting against me. I press her closer and rest my head atop hers, rocking her back and forth, "Is it what happened with you and Glorfindel, meleth?" She nods, sobbing more. I frown. 

What could have caused the two such pain and anguish?

Another update! Thanks for the votes! I'm over 1k reads now so I will have to do something special. Any requests or ideas?!

~Uilosris