Chapter seven: Terror

Rylie's POV

Over the next few nights, my night terrors started coming back even stronger then when I was at Project Cadmus, where they would inject me with serums or hook me to simulators that showed me my worst fears.

I didn't know why they had just now returned. I had already been working with the team for a time and felt safe around them, and was free of Project Cadmus's bondage, so there was really no reason for them, or should I say it, to haunt me. Every night, it would come. Always the same dream: Me being dragged off by Project Cadmus workers as the team and the league called out things like,

"Good riddance, you hero wannabe!"

"You're nothing but a monster!"

"I always liked Robin better!" And the cruelest of all from Wally,

"Did you actually think I had feelings for you? Ha! How can I love a girl who is nothing but a ruined experiment?"

  Then I would wake up screaming and crying. It made me hate to sleep and extremely self conscious, not wanting the others, especially my twin or Wally, to ask questions because they heard me scream. I knew they wouldn't take no for an answer. But of course, things didn't go my way.

It was one particularly bad night as I woke up from another episode, shaking and screaming, that some one walked in. Immediately, I reached for my daggers on the beside table, the graphic images of the dream clouding my mind. But just as I was about to pick them up, a hand covered mine.

"It's okay, beautiful. It's just me." Wally's voice came, and I retracted my hand and wrapped myself in the covers, wanting to disappear. Thoughts raced around my head. Oh god, did he hear me screaming? He heard me screaming. I am so screwed. Nice going, Allison.

"Y-you hear all that?" I whispered, trying to control my shaking. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah. Sounded like you had a pretty bad nightmare. You okay?" He sat on the edge of the bed, his green eyes looking at me worriedly. He was still dressed as Kid Flash, so I guessed that he had just gotten off of patrol duty and decided to sleep here tonight instead of heading home. I shook my head and wrapped the blankets tighter around me, still trying to slow my rapid heartbeat. It's okay. I tried to tell myself. You're fine. It's just a dream. Just a dream. I sighed and hung my head, whispering,

"I..I" I looked down at my hands, letting the image blur as my eyes filled with tears. There was so much I wanted to tell him, but didn't know how to say. How do you tell your best friend that's also your twin brother's best friend that:

1. You're nightmares involve him calling you a ruined experiment.

2. The only reason you didn't tell anyone is because you didn't want your brother worrying about the dreams because you though you could handle them on your own (I was so wrong).

And 3. You're scared out of your mind because you just saw your best friends stab you in the back and, even though it was just a dream, it felt so real. Then there was the side one that really wasn't revelant to the situation, but still totally hard to say: I was falling for him. He was this irritating, mindless, annoyingly cute and sweet little pest that I couldn't get out of my head. He doesn't love me. I thought as I tried to block the dream out of my head. Who could love a girl with scars?

Wally slid his arm around me and pulled me to him as I rested my head on his shoulder. After a moment, he sat up.

"You're shaking." He said, and that was when I lost it. Letting the first of my tears fall, I spoke quickly and avoided eye contact.

"Igetnightterrorswhereigettakenagainandiwakeupscaredoutofmymindbutican'ttellrobinbeacusehe'dworryand-"

"Woah babe. I may be fast, but not that fast. Slow down." He whispered, tilting my chin up to face him.

"Promise you won't tell Robin?"

"Speedster's honor." I told him the story, conveniently leaving out the part about him being the one to call me an experiment. While Wally was my best friend and my crush, he didn't need to know everything. I flopped down on the bed as I finished, trying hard not to make my tears evident. I felt like a weakling right then, and I hated it.

"Hey," He whispered, his hand running over my back. "Come here." I turned to face him and was pulled into his arms. I buried my face into his shoulder, taking a shaky breath. "Shh. I promise you, it was just a dream. That would never happen." He whispered. "You're safe, beautiful. They can't hurt you anymore. You're safe."

"How do you know that!?" I asked him as the tears streamed down my face in full force.

"Because your brother has been working around the clock to bring those idiots who hurt you to justice, and he would beat the sh*t out of all of them if they ever tried to lay a finger on you again, just like the rest of us would. I promise, what you just told me will never happen. Not as long as I'm around." As he spoke, I  held onto him tighter, happy to not be alone.

After a few minutes of sitting like that, he asked,

"You want me to stay in here tonight, just in case you need me again?" I nodded, scooting over to the side of the bed so he could fit. We laid down, and I let him pull me closer to him, his arm wrapping around my waist. He let me cry for a bit, muttering sweet words into my dark hair every once in a while. After what felt like hours, I started to drift off, but just before I fell asleep, I heard him mutter,

"Good night, my beautiful Nightingale. I love you. I just wish I could say it to your face when you could hear me. And just so you know, we all have scars."

A/n: just a bit of a fluffy filler BC I can. Plus, I need fluffy right now. I'm still reeling over the lost of captain cold on legends of tomorrow. WE HAD CAPTAIN CANARY! WHY WRITERS, WHY!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!😢😢😢😥😥😥😥😥😥😖😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😦😦😦😦😲😲😲😲😲 All in all, I'm working on more for ya, so hold up! Love you guys!
-Percyslilsister