Chapter Twenty Three: Mental

Needless to say, after my flashback I wasn't so great. So wracked with guilt about what had happened with Will, even though I knew it wasn't my fault. So as any person would do, I went to visit him a few days after Wally's birthday. He was at one of the places I never would have let Bats put him if he wasn't a criminal. Arkham asylum. Even though we couldn't officially have a trial due to Will's mental scarring and somewhat insanity, we were still forced to bring him to Arkham. But before I went in, I had to dress the part. I couldn't go as Nightingale. It would be like putting a slab of beef in front of Harley Quinn's hyenas. I'd be dead before I got past the door.

Walking into Wayne Manor that day, it felt like coming home. Alfred greeted me at the door as always, smiling a bit.

"Young Mistress Grayson. Welcome back."

"Happy to be back Alfred. " I headed up to my old room. It still hadn't been touched, only cleaned, and that was all Alfred's doing. I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Typical Bruce. My stuff has become a museum."

"More like an evidence locker sis." I turned to see Ricky standing in the doorway, still in his Gotham Academy uniform. He must've just gotten home. It took all of my self control not to crush him in a hug. I had seen Robin almost every day living at the cave, but I never got to see my brother relaxed out of  uniform. Well, superhero uniform. It was like having part of my brother back, and I craved the rest of him. I didn't want my superhero partner. I wanted my twin. He noticed me figiting with my necklace and opened his arms for a hug. "You know you want to." I smiled, the million dollar genuinely happy smile that had become rare so to me now, and ran into his arms. He chuckled and kissed the top of my head before running his fingers through my hair quickly, just like Dad had done when we were kids.

"There's my little sister."

"I'm only younger by six minutes Dick." He chuckled a bit and let me go.

"Go get changed. We have an hour if we want to get there on time. There's no way I'm letting you go alone."

"Yeah, that kinda went bad last time." I replied with a slight nervous chuckle.

"No kidding. I'll meet you downstairs." He headed off and I picked out a nice shirt and black skirt. Then I went to my bathroom. My favorite brands of makeup and sets of contacts were neatly arranged on the counter, and there were brand new bottles of my favorite perfumes and body lotions. Alfred must've​ known I was coming. He always knew how to make me feel at home.

I sighed and hopped in the shower, got my hair dried and straightened it quick​ly so it fell down my back, and then took the silver contacts out of my eyes, turning them to their original warmer​ brown tone. Rylie Grayson was back, but I didn't know how I felt about it. I saw myself when I looked in the mirror, but it was as if through a fog. I opened the bottle of pills on the counter and took two, just to keep the flashbacks at bay. I knew it wouldn't​ stop them completely, but it would help. I jumped back a bit when I felt a hand on my shoulder.  Man I'm getting rusty.

"Are you sure you want to do this Rylie? I can cancel the appointment." I looked at the reflection and saw Bruce standing behind me in his usual suit, his dark blue tie loosened a bit. He must've just gotten off work. I shook my head and turned to look at him.

"No I need to do this. Will needs to know I'm alive. That...that someone else made it out alive." I sighed softly, trying to control my shaking. This...it was all so new to me. I had been locked up for so long, and now that I was free, it was going to be a long road before I could even think about feeling normal again. And for Will, his recovery would be ten times longer than mine. I felt the tears start welling up again, and I hung my head.

"Rylie," Bruce sighed, knowing that one of his pep talks really wasn't welcome right now. He cleared his throat and made eye contact with my twin, who was standing in the doorway.

"Car leaves in fifteen. Come on, let's go." Ricky coughed and then turn to head downstairs.

The ride to Arkham was a long and awkward one. I was curled up next to Dick, trying to remain calm as I knew it wouldn't be good if I was all hyped up around Will. My twin was staring out the window, and Bruce was looking at his phone, probably wondering why he didn't cancel.

  We were lead inside by two guards when we got to the front doors, then by Will's nurse once we got to the secure ward. As we passed by cells, I read the names in my my head, remembering who was what villain  'John Doe' The Joker, 'Victor Fries' Mr. Freeze, 'Harleen Quinnzel' Harley Quinn, and then finally at the end of the row 'William Hayes'. Harm. I had been told Will was put with the villains, but I didn't realize how bad it truly was. He was really with the worst of the worst. It made me want to scream. The Will I knew wasn't the villain he was made out to be. I had my fists clenched at my sides, but as soon as I saw Will's pitiful form in his stark white room, my anger faded away. I turned to Bruce.

"Can I-"

"Go. He needs you." I took a deep breath as the door unlocked and I stepped inside. Bruce had requested no bodyguards to be in the room.

"NYC?" I heard his breath catch in his throat.

"Dolly? No..no way. They...they killed you." I smiled and ran to him, sitting down next to him on the bed. His hair was cut short and he was thinner, but his eyes were all the same. It was William Haynes alright.

"No I'm alive Will. I thought they killed you. They told me they killed you."  

"So they lied to us both. Typical Cadmus." He sighed, hiding his face in his hands.

"Yeah, but Will, they're gone now. Cadmus is gone." He looked me in the eyes for the first time, and I had to bite my tongue to hold back a gasp. He looked so...broken.

"That's not my name. And they may be gone, but they're still in our minds. They still killed all those kids. It's a twisted, sick-" I felt my earpiece buzz.

"Nightingale, meeting at Mt. Justice. We have a stealth operation that requires your skill set. Plus, there's a surprise for you at the lair." I sighed and turned to Will.

"I have to go. There's...things that need my attention. I'll visit as often as I can. Let them help you w-" I caught myself. "NYC. You have a chance to live a life of your own. Take it. " He nodded and I was led away. I tapped my communicator.

"Nightingale to Aqualad. I'm on my way."