Chapter Twelve: Throwback

Rylie's POV

"Roy!" I laughed as I tackled my former best friend in a hug. From what Wally had told me, my favorite archer had toughened up a lot in the past four years, but he still buried his head in my shoulder when he hugged me.

"You're here. You're actually here." He mumbled into the fabric of my shirt. Yep, I thought as I hugged him tight. Same old Roy. I smiled and released my grip on him. 

"In the flesh. Miss me?" I asked as we slid into one side of the booth as Wally slipped into the other.

"Hell yeah I did! Why didn't you call me when you got settled?!" I took a quick glance around. No one was in the restaurant at the moment. Even the waiter had slipped into the back. I turned to face him.

"I haven't had the time. Between the missions, intensive training, and getting to know the team, it's been a hectic few weeks." He cocked an eyebrow, his eyes a startling blue in the dim light.

"Let me guess, your dad's has been riding your ass because of how you snuck out before you were taken?"

"Bullseye." I replied. 'Dad' was the nickname we used for Bruce when in public. "The man tried to put a tracking device in my suit, for Pete's sake!" I trailed off when the door opened. Connor, Kald'r, and Meghann had arrived.

"Hey babe." Wally flirted, oblivious to the way Connor's hands clenched when he spoke like that to Meghann. Meghann just rolled her eyes as the two slid in next to Wally and Aqua Lad joined my side of the booth.

"Hi Wally. Hey Roy! I didn't know you were going to be here." Roy slid his arm around my shoulder, his cocky and confident side returning.

"Heard my favorite kick ass was coming and couldn't resist." He answered simply. Wally cleared his throat loudly, his hands clenching under the table. He had been off all night. What's going on with you, West?

"Why don't we order?" He said through gritted teeth. As if on cue, Kald'r's stomach let out a loud groan. Laughter was heard around the table, lightening the mood instantly.

"I think my stomach agrees with that." He laughed. "Waiter!"

❇❇❇

"...So I'm standing there, and this loser is all 'you can't touch me!' " Roy said as I took a sip of Dr. Pepper. He was recounting one of his many adventures he had had while I was gone. "So I get behind him, pick him up by the collar, and whisper 'got ya!'. Man, you should have seem him run when I put him down! You would have loved it Alli." I shrugged and set down my drink.

"Nice idea Roy, but I probably would have went into the shadows and punched him in the nose when he went looking for me."

"Sounds like you, Al." Connor said as I looked around the table. Everyone was so relaxed, laughing and joking with each other. It's so different then at Mt justice. I thought as I looked over to Roy, realizing that I hadn't seen him out of costume since we're ten. Were his eyes always that entrancing blue color?

"So, Alli cat, how you liking the outside world? Better then having to hide in the training area all day?" Wally asked me.

"Yeah, actually. I've missed just hanging out with people instead of letting work take over my life. Plus, it's nice to be let out of my cage once in a while." I smirked over at Connor, who smiled at me. With our stories so close, we had a little more understanding of what the other went through, and a little more respect for each other. He had really pushed me these last few weeks, both mentally and physically. He was the closest person to me that I had met after I got out.

Taking another bite of pizza before looking at his watch, Connor stood up when he saw the time. "It's ten."

"That means it is our time for patrol." Kald'r stated, setting down their cash for the bill and standing up. With that, he, Meghann, and Connor headed out for their turn being watchdogs.

City patrols were just one of the things I had to get used to again here. As much as Richard was mad at me for not going back to Gothem with him, it was the right choice. I would have crumbled under all the pressure Bats would have put on me. I needed more training before I could have even thought about leaving.

"Back to us three." I said once the others were out of the restaurant. "Add Ricky and it's just like old times."

"Yeah," Wally sighed. "It's been a while since those days, beating up baddies together."

"Why don't we do it tonight?" Roy suggested, his blue eyes glittering with a sense of excitement. "Just us three. For old times sake. Plus, I want to see if this one's still a kick ass." He rubbed my shoulder.

"Oh she is. I've got the bruises to prove it." Wally added, giving me a smirk. I shrugged.

"I got my suit on me. I'm game. Wally?" I asked. His green eyes glinted with the air of mischief I loved.

"Let's go." The boys stood, but I knew better. I set out the rest of the bill on the table.

"Wait. Let's figure out where we're going first. We can't patrol here, Bat's would kill me."

"Central City's out, too." Wally added as we walked out of the restaurant and slipped into a back ally.

"I've got one. Loads of petty thieves just waiting to get punched. It's pretty far though. You can ride with on the bike with me, Al." I looked to where Roy had nodded to see a red motorcycle parked.

"Thanks Red, but I've got my own ride." I replied, pulling out a set of keys. Pressing the button shaped like the symbol on my suit, a blue cycle with black accents pulled up in front of me, extending a curtain to provide a changing area.

"Little project I've been working on. Give me a sec." I slipped behind the curtain and changed quickly while the boys guarded the entrances to the ally. Clipping on my utility belt, I pressed a button on the top of the curtain, and it packed away neatly.

"Sending coordinates then." Roy added as I took out my helmet and slid it on. "Same link as your wristpad, right?"

"Yep. Let's go." And with that, we were off on a night that I don't really remember (thanks to a minor concussion) other then it feeling like a throwback to the old days, just without all the annoying adults getting in the way. Even better, for the first time since I had gotten back from the hell house I had called my prison, I was out doing what I loved: giving justice to the people who deserve it and protecting the ones I love. Even if I'm sometimes with the ones I love.