Chapter Nine: Discovery

Rylie's POV

"Wally!" I gasped as I ran over to my best friend and knelt beside him. Not again not again not again. Was all I could think as I checked him over. "Are you okay?" He didn't answer. His eyes were closed, but he was breathing fine. From what I could tell, he had fallen and landed on his back pretty hard. Not again not again not again! My heart was racing at high speed, I could feel my throat tightening in panic, I couldn't breathe, and all I could think about was my parents. Not again not again not again!

Just as I was about to call for help, his eyes flew open and he sat up, almost giving me a heart attack in the process.

"Got you good, didn't I?" He asked with that stupid smirk of his, and I smacked his shoulder. He had thought it was funny!

"You jackass." I mumbled as I pushed myself off the ground, trying to keep the memories away. "Don't scare me like that." I could feel his eyes staring at my back as I headed over to where I had set the water bottles and sat down, putting my face in my hands. Images passed through my mind, one after another like a twisted slide show. The trapeze, the Zucco brothers, my parents falling... I heard him draw in a quick breath of realization before mumbling that he was an idiot, and I suddenly felt him sit next to me. I looked at him, and his green eyes were filled with guilt.

"Al, I'm sorry." He apologized, rubbing the back of his neck. "Forgot about the back story for a second there. That was really stupid of me. I get it if you don't want to train me any more. I-I should just go." He stood up, but I grabbed his wrist, not wanting him to leave.

"Don't go." I started as I stood up and faced him. "It's okay. I shouldn't have freaked out like that anyway." His eyes grew cloudy with anger.

"Shouldn't have freaked out?!" He exclaimed softly, knowing that the others shouldn't hear that. "Alli, that's one of the things you should be freaked out by! It's the way you got hurt as a kid." His voice grew even softer now, and he lifted his hand up to rub his thumb across my cheek and wipe away a loose tear. I hadn't even noticed I was crying. I did that way too much now. "It's the way you lost your parents. It's okay to be scared of losing someone else like that. But I promise you beautiful, I'm not going anywhere. You're stuck with this speedster." I giggled softly, smiling at the freckle faced boy that had come to mean so much to me.

"Thanks Wally." Taking a deep breath, I went to peck his cheek, but the smartass turned his head and caught me full on the lips. My body reacted immediately, my hands winding up his shoulders and into his ginger locks as he wrapped an arm around my waist.

Team and Canary, please report to the launch bay. We jumped apart, a steady blush climbing up both our faces. Stupid loudspeakers. I thought as I said,

"Um..we should probably go." Wally nodded sheepishly.

"Yeah." He turned around as if to give me a piggyback ride. "Hop on. It's faster." I hesitated for a second. I had just kissed Wally and, knowing Bats and his thing for security cameras, people were likely to suspect things. How would it look if he ran in with me on his back?

"What?" Wally asked, his head cocked slightly. "Don't you trust me?" There was the smirk I couldn't resist. Ugh, damn my teenage hormones! Pushing aside my anxiety, I hopped on his back, lacing my arms around his neck and wrapping my legs around his waist.