Chapter 4

A/N: Comment & Vote at the end of the chapter. I wanna know what my readers are thinking =D

Moment of honesty

Someone's gotta take the lead tonight

Whose it gonna be? ~ALICIA KEYS

Knocking I waited until Tania answered the door. It was taking her a while to open up.

Her neighborhood wasn't the safest and people were known to do a drive-by on her block. As my nerves began setting in the more I wanted her to open the door.

I didn't want to be a victim of "being in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Knocking again I started to feel like she wasn't at home.

As I turned to leave her front door opened.

"Lauren?" She asked as her eyes widened. "What are you doin here?"

"I can't visit my bestie?" I asked brushing pass and walking into her house.

Closing the door behind me she followed me into the living room.

"Where have you been?"

I removed the throw pillow from the empty spot on the couch before taking its spot. "I found a place." I said simply hoping she would drop the subject.

"Well, a place where?"

She asked frowning.

"It's not far from here." I assured her.

She slipped her glasses on her face as she picked up her literature book.

"We should hang out tonight." I blurted.

I wanted something to take Rio off my mind.

His words replayed in my head. How could he down talk me to somebody I didn't know.

Tania looked at me in awe.

"I don't have anything to wear." She said.

"Then lets go to the mall. See if you can get your Mom's car."

She took her glasses off and sat them on the table and smiled.

"Where did you get money from all of the sudden?" She questioned.

"I got a job." I said while pulling at the loose string on the worn throw pillow.

Tania stood up from the couch and left the room to talk to her mother.

When she returned she held the keys in her hand.

"I got em." She smiled.

Walking out to the car Tania unlocked the doors. It was a good thing her mother gave her the keys because I didn't feel like taking the city bus.

"Where do you work?" She asked while pulling off.

"Jus a job makin a lil money."

I tried dodging her questions about my job because I knew Tania had a crush on Rio.

She talked about him all the time but then again who in the hood didn't have a crush on him.

Tania pulled on to the freeway and started in the direction of the mall.

"Guess who stopped by the house the other day?" She smiled.

Rolling my eyes already knowing who she was referring to I sucked my teeth.

"Rio?"

"You should've seen him Lauren. I'm so mad my sister had a chance wit him." She said.

I just wanted to stop talking about this guy.

I peered out the window while she kept rambling about him.

Tania pulled into the parking lot of the mall and I was relieved.

We would have other things to talk about besides him once we got inside the mall.

The first store we went to I found a tight fitting black dress that complemented my curves but it was too basic.

Hanging the dress back on the rack I walked to find something with more "oomph".

Tania on the other hand found the dress to be just right for her.

"Since you won't get it, I will." She said while holding the dress up and inspecting it.

Shrugging my shoulders I moved onto the next rack.

After awhile of searching I found the perfect dress.

"Your total will be $89.72." The cashier smiled.

Reaching into my wallet I handed her a hundred dollar bill.

Tania's stood in shock as the lady handed me the change.

"Have a nice day." She said handing me the bags.

"What?" I asked Tania once we were out of the store.

She still held the same look of shock on her face.

"Are you stripping?"

I laughed and almost died when she asked me that.

"No. I'm not a stripper." I assured her.

A look of relief came over her face.

"So what do you do?"

Tania just wasn't going to give it up.

"Don't worry. It's legit."

Walking into another store Tania dropped the subject.

*

We left the mall with four bags each. While shopping we agreed on going to a club called "Limelight".

Limelight was an underground and it was a place Tania and I knew we wouldn't have a problem getting into.

*

Later that night....

Stepping from the shower I dried off and lotion my body with Johnson & Johnson's melt away stress.

Wrapping the towel around me I left the bathroom so Tania could get ready.

"I'll be out in twenty minutes." She assured me before closing the bathroom door.

Walking into Tania's room I pulled my dress from the bag and laid it across her bed. I slipped on my under clothes and shimmied into the dress.

This dress was a winner I thought to myself as I made my way over to Tania's body length mirror.

I turned to the side and examined my frame before turning frontwards again.

The dress was long sleeve and the back was in a deep V-shape. It's detailing is what made it stand out.

I absolutely adored everything about it.

Smiling to myself I sat down at Tania's dresser and began working on my hair.

I decided on curls and when I was half way done Tania walked into the room dressed.

"Check you out." I joked.

She smiled and walked towards her mirror.

"I clean up pretty well." She said complementing herself.

The dress Tania chose fit her extremely well. I was happy it worked out for her.

"You almost ready?" She asked while putting on lip gloss.

"Just about."

I stood from the dresser putting on my accessories.

"I hear the club gets full pretty quick." She said.

I slipped into my shoes and grabbed my clutch.

We made our way towards the front door and was almost outside when Megan approached us.

"Where y'all goin?" She frowned.

I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes. Now wasn't the time to deal with Megan and her bull.

"Do mama kno your goin out dressed like that?" She asked Tania.

"Megan--don't you have somethin better to do?" Tania asked.

Rolling her eyes Tania pushed pass Megan.

"Come on Lauren." She said making her way towards the car.

The entire ride to the club Tania was aggravated but she lightened up once we got inside.

The bodyguard searched us both and then our clutches.

"Y'all lookin good tonight." He smiled admiring Tania in her dress.

"Thanks." I said while taking my clutch from him and sashaying away.

Walking into the club I scanned the place.

It wasn't crowded but it wasn't empty either. Meek Mill's "Levels" blasted through the speakers and everyone stood at the bar socializing. It was still fairly early.

"Did you want to get somethin to drink?" I asked Tania.

"You see all those people crowding the bar?" She asked with her face twisted. "If anybody spill a drink on me--."

Kissing my teeth I started towards the bar.

"Come on." I said.

Now wasn't the time for her to start acting shy.

Glancing around the room my eyes stopped towards the entrance when I seen Rio walk in. He dapped the bouncer we talked to moments ago. My eyes followed him as he walked over to Anthony dapping him.

Out of every club in the city we had to end up at this one together I thought.

"What the fuck." I mumbled to myself.

"Oh my god." Tania panicked. "Mario is here." She tweaked.

Ignoring her and already wanting to leave I walked up to the bar and ordered two shots of Patron.

Tossing them back like they were water I perched my lips as the liquor went down my throat. Ready for my next drink I grabbed the bartender's attention.

"A Long Island." I ordered.

Tania looked at me and frowned.

"Make that two." I informed the bartender.

"Whose the second one for?" Tania questioned.

"One is yours I assured her."

Tania's couldn't take her eyes off of Rio as he made his way through the club. I was starting to believe she was obsessed with him.

"He's comin' over here." She smiled as she ran her fingers through her hair fixing the loose strands.

I really need her to stop acting like a groupie. I thought to myself.

As I waited for the bartender to fix our drinks I felt a nudge on my elbow.

Turning to see Rio standing next to me. I was greeted by his subtle cologne and inviting lips.

Damn he look good I thought to myself. I see why Tania was acting crazy.

Wearing all white his short sleeve shirt complemented his biceps showing his tattoos.

He wore a red, white and blue New York Giants SnapBack and a diamond filled chain.

In his hand he held a cup half filled with dark liquor.

"How did you get here?" He asked as he licked his pink lips.

Looking him up and down I turned my back towards him.

"Why you actin like that?" He asked into my ear.

"Don't worry about it. I got too much goin on." I snapped.

I was starting to feel the liquor and "liquor courage" sure is deadly.

At that moment I didn't care about anyone feelings but my own.

He chuckled and took a sip from his cup.

"That'll be thirty dollars." The bartender said while sitting the drinks in front of me.

I opened my purse to pull out the cash but Rio had already laid fifty dollars onto the bar.

"I got it." He said.

Picking up the drinks and handing Tania hers I couldn't resist rolling my eyes at him.

"What's up wit you?" He frowned.

"I don't know. How about you ask yo baby mama."

Grabbing Tania's wrist I pulled her to the dance floor leaving a confused Mario at the bar.

The DJ switched to a faster song and everyone headed to the dance floor.

I began moving my hips to the music but I couldn't help but notice the way Tania was staring at me as she slowly sipped from her drink.

"You got somethin goin on with Rio?"

She questioned.

Feeling hands around my waist I turned to see Anthony standing behind me.

"What up." He smiled.

"I'll be back." Tania said while rolling her eyes and making her way through the crowd.

Anthony was cute but he wasn't my type. His caramel skin was flawless and wavy hair showed he was mixed.

He stood as tall as five foot seven with a muscular build.

"Hey." I said looking back towards the bar.

Rio was no longer standing where I left him.

"Can I buy you a drink or somethin?" He offered.

I held up my glass to show him it was still fairly full.

"You lookin fa somebody?" He asked. "Rio perhaps?" He added.

"Nah." I said while returning my attention back to him.

He smiled pulling me into him while he rested his hand on my lower back.

"You wearin that dress tonight." He whispered giving me a whiff of his minty breath.

We were so close I could feel his body heat.

"I want you." He said as his lips brushed against my ear.

I pulled out of his hold while smoothing out the creases in my dress with my free hand.

"I wanna get to know you." He said into my ear over the loud music.

I looked over my shoulder to see Tania talking to the bouncer from earlier that was checking her out.

"She good." Anthony said trying to get my attention. "I want you to leave wit me."

Ant was really trying but I wasn't attracted to him.

He was too aggressive and it kind of reminded me of my father.

Placing my hand on his chest gently pushing him back I walked around him and towards the bar.

I'm sure he couldn't believe he was being rejected but I wasn't feeling him that type of way.

Glancing around the club my eyes landed on Rio in the VIP with groupies flocking to him.

Shaking my head in disappointment I took another sip from my drink before walking over to Tania.

"I'm ready to go." I said frowning.

Looking me up and down Tania turned back to the bouncer.

"My friend is ready to go but it was nice meeting you." She said to him.

"Same here. Make sure you use that number." He told her as we walked outside.

A group of people still stood in line trying to get inside the club but the bouncers wouldn't let anyone get passed the rope.

As Tania and I walked pass a few guys called out to us but as usual I ignored them.

"A!" A voice called out to us as we walked down the street.

I was never the type to turn around and acknowledge a person that referred to me as "A" but Tania had to turn around.

"Why is Mario following us out the club?" She asked with a confused look on her face.

Turning in his direction I noticed he was making his way over to us.

Ready for confrontation I handed my clutch to Tania.

"Why y'all leavin?" He asked once he was close enough glancing back and forward from the both of us waiting on a reply.

"I'll be in the car." Tania said pulling her keys out of her clutch and walking off.

I started following her until he gently grabbed my wrist.

"What are you doin?" I asked looking down at his hand.

"I'm not lettin you go until you talk to me."

I laughed at him.

"Don't you have groupies to entertain?" I frowned.

Wrinkle lines appeared in his forehead as he gave me a blank stare.

"Fuck them." He simply said. "You been actin like this all day."

"I heard what you said about me to your friend. He could shoot his shot if he could handle me?" I snatched my arm away and he placed his hands in his pockets. "Damaged goods?" I snapped. "I trusted you and that's what you do?"

"That wasn't what I meant."

Looking at him sideways I twisted my lips.

"Enlighten me." I said.

He began rubbing the facial hair on his chin.

"I don't know, I don't know what I meant."

He finally admitted.

"Exactly." I said tossing my hands in the air.

I began walking towards the car when he started to speak.

"I was wrong for sayin that to him." He admitted.

I turned to face him and took a few steps towards him.

"Damn right you were." I snapped.

"Let me make it up to you." He said as he reached for my hand holding it in his. "Come wit me."

Did he really think I was going to go with him after he betrayed me? I thought.

"You think everything's alright now?" I questioned while pulling my hand out of his.

"You either comin' or not?" He said nonchalantly. "Tania gon' be good. Just come wit me." He said pulling his keys and phone from his pocket.

I felt bad about leaving Tania but she would understand. She'd been acting weird the entire night.

Giving in I followed him towards his car. He unlocked the doors opening the passenger's door for me making sure I was in safely before walking to the driver's side.

"So this Mario I'm gettin right now?" I asked referring to his alter ego.

He started the car and pulled from the parking lot.

"Yeah, don't expect Rio to do shit like this."

I laughed.

Glancing out the window a million thoughts crossed my mind as to where we could be going but after awhile of driving we pulled up to a beautiful house.

"Is this your house?" I asked as I slipped off my seat belt.

"Yeah." He said while getting out the car and walking around to open my door.

Giving him my hand he helped me out of the car.

His house was huge. It was a colonial style home made of brick and a gravel driveway.

"Come on." He said as he started making his way towards the front door still holding my hand. "You okay?" He asked while looking down at my feet noticing I was having a hard time walking across the gravel in my heels.

Bending down to take them off Rio stopped and waited for me.

"Just get on my back."

"I have on a dress." I said frowning.

"What that mean?"

Not in the mood to go back and forth with him I hopped on his back allowing him to carry me to the front door.

It was a good thing I did because it would've been a long walk. It also gave me a chance to admire his muscles.

When we approached the front door I climbed off his back pulling my dress down as he opened the door.

Stepping into the foyer Rio turned on the light closing the door behind me.

The house was still being remodeled and plastic hung from the ceiling but for the most part you could see its potential.

It was a center staircase that branched out in both directions near the top with a balcony sitting area.

Taking my hand he led me into the kitchen grabbing two glasses from the cabinet and a bottle of champagne.

"You drink this?" He asked while grabbing a corkscrew out of the kitchen drawer.

"I never had it before." I admitted shyly.

"Don't be embarrassed." He said as he opened the bottle. "It's a first time for everythin'."

He poured the drinks handing me a glass.

"I wanna show you somethin. This is why I bought this house." He said while leaving out of the kitchen and walking up the stairs. "Watch your step." He assured me as paint cans rested on the steps.

Stopping at the balcony doors and opening them I was in shock as the view of the city and the stars came into view.

"You like it?"

"I love it." I smiled as I stepped out onto the balcony.

He smirked as he followed.

"Good." He said as he walked behind me wrapping his arms around my waist.

The night's air felt so inviting. Everything around us sat quietly. This was nothing like I'd seen before growing up as a city girl.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked turning to face him.

"I wanted you to meet the true Mario." He said. "I wasn't always a thug. I got a soft side too."

I could feel my cheeks start to heat up as I began blushing.

"So tell me about Mario." I said while taking a sip of champagne.

Rio inhaled deeply before he started to speak.

"I'm really not the type that like to talk about my past."

I could see the hurt in his eyes the more he talked about it.

"You can tell me. I'm sure it's not worse than my story."

He took off his hat placing it on a small table as he rubbed his hands over his fade.

"I grew up not knowing my biological father. He didn't want anything to do with my mom or me. So she met this man Mark, she loved him and would do anything for him but he got hooked heavily on drugs. He would sell everything in the house. One day he beat her so bad because she wouldn't give him any money--."

As I watched Rio I could see he was reliving every moment.

"I don't wanna talk about this anymore." He said while finishing up his drink. "I should get you home." He said looking at his watch.

Walking up to him I made the first move to kiss his lips and as I imagined they were extremely soft. Allowing complete access to my mouth he immediately took control of the kiss by slightly sucking on the tip of my tongue. Lightly pulling away and gently biting my bottom lip he made his way to my neck slowly kissing, adding a little tongue.

I let out a light moan as he returned his lips back to mine pecking them.

"I gotta get you home." He said as he pulled away.

Biting my bottom lip I started down the stairs towards the front door while he closed and locked the balcony doors.

He began turning all the lights off before joining me downstairs.

He stepped out of the house and I followed. Locking the door he carried me back to the car opening the door for me.

When he got inside the car he pulled off and started in the direction of his mother's home.

It didn't take long to get there.

Walking me to the door he pecked my lips one last time before pulling me into a hug.

"I like you Lauren." He said resting his head on mine.

My stomach began fluttering with butterfly's.

We stayed like that for a while.

"I'll see you in the morning." He assured me while breaking the hug. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Mario." I said as I walked into the house closing the door behind me.