Chapter 16

A/N: Don't forget to vote & comment at the end of the chapter!!!

*

Enjoy!!!!

"I told you we would meet again." My father sneered.
My hands trembled as I stuffed them inside my pockets.
"Where is her Aunt?" Rio asked getting to the point.
My father glimpsed Rio up and down before a smile formed at his lips.
I hear your pregnant again." He said shaking his head. "I hope its not by this thug ass nigga."
I couldn't believe Aunt Lo had told him about my pregnancy but then again it was no surprise she had.
Trusting her was a big mistake.
Rio balled his hands into tight fist preparing himself to do damage.
"He's not worth it." I said grabbing his hand.
Rio looked at me and frowned before letting out a deep breath.
"We're just gettin' Nicholas and leaving." I informed him.
Hearing keys jingling behind us Rio and I turned to see Roland walking up the walkway.
"What's goin on?" He asked as he approached the house.
Dressed in a work uniform Roland held his car keys in his hand.
I assumed he had gotten off of work considering the tired expression his face held.
"What's up?" He asked again glancing back and forth between us.
"We came to get Nicholas." I sighed.
"Lolita should have him dressed and ready." Roland said clueless to the fact that my father and Aunt Lo had something up their sleeves.
Walking up the porch stairs he walked pass my father without acknowledging him.
"That's how you treat your brother-in-law?" My father smirked.
Roland shot him an evil look before stepping inside the house.
My father moved to the side allowing us to enter after him.
"Lolita?" Roland called as he tossed his keys on the table.
Rio took a seat on the couch watching as my father closed the screen door joining us.
Aunt Lo walked into the living room wiping her hands across her apron.
"Why are you yelling?" She asked frowning.
"What is he doin here?" He asked pointing in my father's direction. "I thought I told you he could never step foot in this house again."
Glancing at me and Rio she returned her eyes back to Roland.
"I called him because I can't let them take Nicholas away from me."
Roland rubbed his hands down his face.
"Lo, he's not our son."
"We've tried so hard to have a baby and now I have one--I'm not letting him go."
Tears formed in her eyes.
"Aunt Lo, I'm not trying to take Nicholas away from you--you can still be in his life but give me a chance to be his mother." I pleaded. "Right now your trying to rob me of that."
The room became silent.
"She's right." Roland agreed. "Maybe we can make an arrangement."
"He's not going anywhere." My father chimed in. "Not on my watch. Lauren can barely take care of her damn self. What the fuck she know about raising a child." He chuckled.
I snapped my head in his direction.
"Tell me what you know about raising a child--because the last time I checked a father doesn't impregnate his daughter you sick bastard."
Rio stood from the couch.
"You little--?" Charles said as he bit down on his bottom lip charging towards me.
Jumping in front of him Aunt Lo stopped him mid stride.
"Charles--." She said attempting to hold him back.
Roland walked over towards them.
"Why would you call him knowin' everythin' I been through with him?" I asked nearly in tears.
"I just wanted him to talk sense into you--it was a mistake." She said shaking her head.
True enough Aunt Lo had been caring for Nicholas since he was born but the fact that she called my father and got him involved was foul.
She knew everything I'd been through with him and the only feelings she was concerned about was her own.
"I just want my son." I said walking off to his room.
Rio followed walking in after me.
Lifting Nicholas up from his crib I cradled him in my arms.
"I'm sorry you were born into this madness." I said kissing his soft cheeks.
He cooed as his hazel eyes stared at me.
Rio grabbed majority of his clothes putting them into his diaper bag before taking Nicholas from me.
Walking out of the room my father broke out of Roland's arms charging towards me once again.
"Ima kill you!" He screamed.
Running up to me he grabbed me around the neck pinning me to the wall.
Rio passed Nicholas to Roland before punching my father in the mouth sending him to the ground.
Sliding down to my feet I inhaled a deep breath.
"I'm so sorry Lauren-- Are you alright?" Aunt Lo asked with worry in her eyes.
Finally being able to breathe I pushed her away from me.
"Don't touch me." I warned her while standing to my feet.
I could see why my mother hated her and I was a fool to think there was a good bone in her body.
Charles's head bounced off the floor but was sent back as Rio's fist made contact with his jaw.
"Ight Rio." Roland said trying to get Rio off of him but he wouldn't stop.
Pushing Roland's hand away Rio connected his fist to my father's face again.
Passing Nicholas to me Roland pried Rio away from my father.
"You don't need his blood on your hands--snap out of it." Roland yelled staring him into the face.
Rio's breathing deepened as he looked down at the damage he'd done.
"Let's go." He said snatching away from Roland's grasp.
Taking a last look at my father I noticed his breathing becoming shallow.
Aunt Lo kneeled down next to him holding his hand in hers. Tears poured from her eyes.
Walking out of the house Roland followed carrying the diaper bag and car seat.
"I'm sorry." He apologized while handing the items to me.
Opening the back door Rio helped put the car seat in before strapping Nicholas in.
Closing the door Rio walked to the driver's side hopping in.
I slid into the passenger's seat glancing back at Nicholas as he stared out the window watching as Roland walked over to the driver's window.
"I could've killed that nigga." Rio snapped.
Roland shook his head in disappointment.
"It's not worth it. You have too much goin for yourself--a family, a business--."
"You don't understand Ro, he put his hands on her. In front of me and she's carryin' my child." Rio said cutting him off. "He gon get his and another thing comin'." He added while starting the car.
Roland stood up from the window.
"Keep in touch. Don't keep my lil guy from me too long." He added.
Putting on a forced smile I waved before Rio pulled off.
Riding in silence I glanced over to him noticing he was in deep thought.
I could always tell when he wasn't in the mood to talk.
His phone vibrated several times and he ignored every call.
Nicholas had fallen back asleep and I found myself looking out the window.
"You remember when I said I would kill a nigga over you?" He asked breaking the silence.
Nodding my head I directed my attention towards him.
"That mean family too."
I knew where he was getting at and that meant he was going to handle my father.
Pulling up to the house and parking he got out of the truck grabbing Nicholas from his car seat.
Looking through my purse I pulled the door keys from the bottom of the bag as I approached the front door.
Unlocking it Rio walked into the house and into the living room with Nicholas in his arms.
Following them I took a seat on the couch while Rio undressed Nicholas leaving him in his yellow onesie before disappearing into the kitchen.
Giving me a chance to rest my eyes I laid my head on the back of the couch drifting asleep.
The doorbell rung causing me to open my eyes noticing Rio walking out of the kitchen towards me placing Nicholas in my arms.
He swarmed in my hands as he started to cry when Rio walked off into the foyer.
Exchanging a few words Rio closed the door before returning to the kitchen.
"Who was it?" I asked while putting Nicholas into my arms and standing to my feet.
Walking back into the living room he handed me the bottle.
"Nobody."
Placing the bottle to Nicholas's mouth he closed his eyes as he drunk.
Rio looked at me noticing my facial expression.
Raising my eyebrow I looked at him.
"Air doesn't ring doorbells--who was it?" I frowned.
"Business." He finally admitted.
Shaking my head I walked upstairs towards the bedroom and he followed.
"You remember we have a doctor's appointment tomorrow right?" I asked as I laid Nicholas down onto the bed.
Rolling over onto his stomach he lifted his head watching as Rio stood in front of the dresser taking off his jewelry.
"Yea." He said nonchalantly.
Walking over towards the windows I noticed the detective car outside.
Pulling the curtains closed I walked back over towards the bed slipping into my pajamas.
"You know your still bein watched."
He lifted his shirt over his head revealing the black tank underneath it.
"I'm not worried about it so don't you worry. I got it under control."
"You think doin drugs deals while your bein watched is a good idea?" I frowned.
Ignoring me he left the room.
Not speaking another word I climbed into the bed joining Nicholas.
Spitting out his pacifier he cried until Rio walked back into the room.
Nicholas was wide awake and didn't show any signs of falling asleep anytime soon.
Walking over towards the bed Rio lifted him up leaving out.
Rolling my eyes I turned over on my side falling to sleep.
Waking up in the middle of the night I sat up noticing Rio and Nicholas weren't in the room.
Tossing my legs to the side of the bed my feet touched the soft carpet as I stood up.
Adjusting my eyes to the lighting that shined through the cracks of the window I found my way outside of the room.
Taking a step at a time I reached the bottom of the stairs.
The light from the TV in the living room caught my attention and I started in that direction.
Walking into the room I noticed Rio stretched on the couch with Nicholas asleep on his chest.
Deciding not to disturb them I made my way back upstairs to the bedroom.

***

Opening my eyes I stretched while glancing at the clock.
The smell of food hit my nose causing me to sit up.
Looking next to me Nicholas laid in bed asleep.
Rio must've brought him upstairs this morning I thought to myself.
Preparing myself to get out of bed the room door opened.
Rio walked in dressed in a white t-shirt and basketball shorts holding a plate of food.
"Sup--I thought you might be hungry."
Smiling I took the plate from his hand.
I could sense he was trying to make things right after our disagreement.
"Thank you." I said picking up the grape jelly toast taking a bite from it.
"Where you goin?" I asked noticing his attire.
"I got some shit to handle and then the basketball court."
"Are you going to be at the appointment?" I asked while bringing a forkful of eggs to my mouth.
"Yeah. I need you to pick me up."
"Really Mario?" I asked sighing.
Kissing my forehead he left the room without saying another word.
I was done trying to get him to quit "the game".
My main focus was my son and the unborn I was carrying.
Finishing breakfast I walked downstairs putting the plate into the sink.
The house phone began ringing with an unknown number.
Taking the phone off of the hook I put it to my ear.
"Lauren?" A familiar voice asked into the phone.
I immediately knew it was Mario's mother.
"How are you Ms. Celia?"
I could hear the smile in her voice.
"I talked to Mario--how are you enjoying the new edition?"
Smiling to myself I walked upstairs to rejoin Nicholas with the phone still attached to my hand.
"It's going good."
Walking into the bedroom Nicholas was still sound asleep.
I made my way back over towards him sitting down.
The huge grey and black covers swallowed his little body into them.
"When can I meet him?"
"I can bring him over before my appointment today." I assured her while slightly removing some of the cover from his face.
"What time is the appointment?" She questioned.
Glancing at the clock I noticed I had about three hours to spare.
"Two o'clock."
"Alright, I'll see you soon." She said.
Disconnecting the phone I glanced at the clock once again before standing up from the bed.
Rubbing my hands through my hair I walked over towards the body length mirror to examine my frame.
Still barely showing I sighed before walking into the bathroom starting the shower.
I was anxious about going to my first prenatal appointment.
A million thoughts crossed my mind.
My anxiety slowly faded when I remembered Rio would be by my side.
Stepping into the shower I let the water trickle down my body.
The shower was the only place I could truly relax and collect my thoughts.
Wringing out the towel I brought it to my face letting the warm water sooth me.
Staying in for another ten minutes I stepped out to check on Nicholas.
Luckily he hadn't awaken.
Slipping into my under clothes I saw that he was sleeping so peacefully, I didn't want to wake him.
The house phone began ringing again and checking the caller ID Lolita's name appeared.
Hesitantly I pressed the talk button to answer the phone.
"Hello?"
"Hey." She said dryly.
"What do you want?" I asked as I made my way over towards the bed again.
"I'm sorry for everything that happened--but don't keep Nick-Nick away from me."
After all the shit she put me through I should I thought to myself but I was going to be the bigger person.
"I wouldn't do that to you." I sighed. You've been there since he was born."
I could hear her sniffling into the phone.
I knew she was crying.
"Is there anything else you wanted?" I asked in a hurry to get off the phone.
Her line clicked and placing me on hold she answered her incoming call.
Putting the phone on speaker I picked Nicholas up disturbing his sleep.
He cried a little but once I soothed him he was better.
"Lauren?" Aunt Lo yelled into the phone letting me know she was back on the line.
"Yeah." I yelled from across the room.
"I gotta go--I know you wouldn't care but the hospital just called saying I needed to come down to identify a body."
My heart stopped.
"You think it's Charles?"I asked.
She took in a deep breath.
"I know it is." She said softly.
The thought of him being dead didn't phase me but the thought of Rio being the reason he was dead did.
He had just left the house. Rio couldn't have been involved I thought trying to convince myself.
"I'll call you when I get there." She said disconnecting the phone.
After feeding and bathing Nick I dressed him.
Laying him across the bed as I slipped into my shoes grabbing my purse and his diaper bag before lifting him up placing him into my arms.
Walking out to the car I strapped Nicholas into the car seat before getting into the driver's seat.
Making sure no detectives were in sight I eased out of the driveway.
The drive to Celia's house was a little ways from ours but I arrived there in no time.
As I was pulling into the drive way she walked out of the house holding a purse locking the front door.
My eyes followed as she made her way over to the passenger's side of the truck pulling on the handle.
Looking down on the door panel I unlocked the doors allowing her to get in.
"Where you goin'?" I asked once I saw she was comfortable in her seat.
Sitting her purse onto the floor she looked back at Nicholas who looked at her with his eyes wide open.
"Look at him." She smiled. "He's handsome." She added before turning back around in her seat. "What you waitin' for?" She asked looking at me.
"Where are we going?"
Celia laughed.
"To the mall--I didn't tell you?"
Smiling to myself I backed out of the driveway and started in the direction of the mall.
The entire ride Celia talked about how it was when she was pregnant with Mario.
"That's going to be a big baby your carrying." She boasted. "The Johnson family don't have little babies--He's going to be a boy."
"I hope not." I said shaking my head. "I want a girl."
"Good luck with that." She laughed.
Talking with Celia helped take my mind off of the news my Aunt had given to me moments ago.
I wanted to call Rio but decided against it.
"You said you talked to Rio earlier today right?" I asked prying.
"Not for long. He told me he was handling business and couldn't talk." She said not pressing the issue.
Hearing that put an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.
I hope he didn't have anything to do with Charles's death.
He was already being watched and didn't need anymore attention on him.
Pulling into the parking lot of the mall I parked the car.
Celia couldn't wait to take Nicholas out of his car seat.
"He is so precious." She said as she rubbed her hand over his hair.
Luckily I brought his carrier.
Walking into the mall Celia wanted to stop at every store.
"I like this shirt. What you think?" She said holding up a silk shirt with different color patterns.
Twisting up my lip I shook my head.
She rolled her eyes and returned it back to the rack.
"I'm ready to check out." She said making her way towards the counter.
"Hi ma'am. Do you have a credit card with us?" The clerk asked.
"No and I'm not interested." Celia said quickly declining the offer.
"Your total will be $263.92."
In just that little time Celia had bought the entire store.
Pulling a stack of money from her purse she handed the woman three hundred dollars.
Smiling to myself I walked towards the exit as she grabbed her bags.
That was one thing about Rio, he took care of the ladies in his life.
As I waited for Celia to walk towards the exit my eyes widened as I saw Teddy walking through the mall with a woman by his side.
"Where to next?" Celia asked appearing behind me.
I thought Rio had handled him but apparently he hadn't.
The sight of Teddy made my skin crawl.
Noticing his slight limp he walked pass without uttering a word.
"You ready for the next store?" Celia asked snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Yeah." I said following her.
Staying at the mall for another hour my feet were sore from all the walking and it was time to go.
Leaving out I had a few bags while Celia carried several.
Tossing them into the truck she climbed into the passenger's seat as I strapped Nicholas in.
"I wanna know how the doctor's appointment went." She said as she counted the rest of her money.
Getting into the driver's seat I started the ignition pulling from the parking lot.
Dropping Celia off at home first I drove to the basketball court parking across the street.
I watched as Rio ran up and down the court shooting lay ups making the other guys he played look bad while dapping Black at the end.
Smiling to myself I stepped from the car grabbing Nicholas and making my way towards the open gates.
Spotting an open bench I walked towards it taking a seat.
Placing Nicholas onto my lap I pulled a Gerber cookie from the diaper bag handing it to him.
Rio and Black played against Glenn and a guy I'd never seen before.
He was average with a nice physique and a baby face.
Noticing the look on Glenn's face I could tell they were losing.
"Rio, ain't that wifey?" The unknown guy asked.
Rio directed his attention towards me and smiled before tossing the ball into the air.
He was such a show off.
Everybody stood back waiting for the results.
The ball swooshed against the net as it went in.
"Damn." Glenn mumbled before walking off the court towards the sideline.
"Don't be mad bruh." Rio boasted as he made his way over to me. "Sup?" He smiled trying to wrap his arms around me.
"Don't play." I said pushing him back.
I didn't want his sweaty body pressed against mine.
Standing up from the bench Rio took Nicholas from my arms lifting him into the air.
His little eyes lit up with joy.
Black walked over towards us with his towel wrapped around his neck while his duffle hung from his shoulder.
"You still gon be able to give me that ride to my car?" Black asked Rio without acknowledging me.
Passing Nicholas back to me Rio turned towards Black.
"Yeah, I got you." He informed him while bending down to pick his duffle up from the ground.
I could sense the animosity Black had towards me.
He looked in my direction before quickly looking away.
Rolling my eyes I wiped Nicholas's mouth.
"Rio, don't forget what we talked about bruh." Glenn said as he walked off the court.
Nodding his head Rio swung his gym bag across his body.
Pulling his phone from his pocket he frowned at the screen.
"Yo, what he talkin bout?" Black asked as we walked towards the truck.
Placing his phone back inside his pocket he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.
"He want me to put him on."
Black raised his eyebrow as we approached the truck.
"You trust him?"
"He haven't gave me a reason not to."
Black was the last person to mention anything about trust.
"I don't know foolie, somethin don't seem right about him." Black said getting into the truck.
Rio put Nicholas into his car seat before closing the door.
Pulling his phone from his pocket again he answered bringing it to his ear.
"Yea?"
Slowly he moved towards the driver's door pulling it open.
"She's in the hospital right now?" He asked sighing while waiting for a reply. "Ight, I'm on my way up there." He said disconnecting the call.
"Who was that?" I asked.
"Alaina havin' complications--that was her mother."
"Your about to go there now?
"Yeah." He said sighing getting into the car.
Shaking my head I slipped into the passenger's seat.
Not that I was being selfish but I wanted him there with me.
He was going to miss our first appointment because Alaina was having complications with a baby that probably wasn't his.
"When her baby is born you really need to consider getting a D.N.A test." I snapped while putting on the seatbelt.
Black chuckled and Rio looked at me shaking his head.
I'm sure he could sense I was beyond pissed because he didn't bother responding.
Pulling off we started in the direction of the hospital.
Sitting back in my seat I folded my arms over my chest staring out the window.
I could feel myself wanting to cry but I wasn't going to give Black the satisfaction of seeing that.
Pulling up to the hospital Rio parked the car.
"B, you'll go wit Lauren to the appointment?"
Turning towards Rio I twisted up my lip.
"No." I said shaking my head.
Waving me off Rio turned to face Black.
"Nah, I can't-."
"B, just go wit her." Rio said cutting him off while opening the car door and stepping out.
Hesitantly Black gave in.
"Ight." He sighed.
Getting out of the passenger's seat I walked around the truck bumping Rio's shoulder.
"You gon act like that?" He asked.
Ignoring him I walked towards the driver's side while Black dapped him before climbing into the front seat.
Not wasting anytime I off driving towards my doctor's office.
Black scrolled through his phone.
"How long this gon take?"
Ignoring him I turned on the radio and a Drake song played.
"What's wrong wit you?" He smirked as he turned down the radio. "You mad cause I tried to warn you about yo nigga?"
Glancing at him I rolled my eyes.
"Aren't you suppose to be his friend?"
Black chuckled.
"Of course. Rio's my day one nigga but I'm jus lettin you know, your wastin yo time tryin to change him. He grew up not havin shit. He's not stoppin until he get it all."
"I've gave up on that." I snapped.
Black kissed his teeth.
"I never took you as the type that would settle for anythin." He said without looking up from his phone.
"You don't know me."
Giving him the side eye I returned my eyes back to the road.
"Then why you dealin' wit it?"
"You shouldn't be concerned wit my relationship." I said dodging the question.
"You love him?"
Hesitating for a minute I finally replied.
"Yes."
Black laughed while shaking his head.
"You don't know what love is." He mumbled.
Parking the car he stepped out.
"You want me to grab lil homie?"
Slamming the car door closed I pulled Nicholas from his car seat before slinging his diaper bag over my shoulder.
I definitely felt weighed down but I refused to ask Black for help.
"Shorty--." He said walking over to me. "Let me help you."
Extending his arms he took Nicholas from me.
"You trippin'. How you gon carry all this?" He asked as his phone began to ring.
Glancing at the display screen he put the phone to his ear.
"What up Rio." He said while carrying Nicholas inside the clinic.
Following behind him I listened to his conversation.
"Yea--we just walked in." Black assured him. "I'll call you when we leave."
Disconnecting the call he took a seat as I signed in at the front desk.
The clinic was rather empty.
Taking a seat next to him I grabbed Nicholas placing him into my lap.
His eyes roamed the clinic as he sucked his pacifier holding his hands together.
Slipping my index finger into his small palms my heart melted as he firmly held onto it.
Black leaned back in his seat.
A doctor walked into the waiting room dressed in blue scrubs holding a folder.
"Lauren Miller--."
Standing up I walked towards her with Nicholas in my arms.
Black remained seated.
"Would you be able to leave your son with his father?" She asked looking back towards Black.
As much as I didn't want Black to tag along I didn't want to leave him with Nicholas by his self.
"You comin'?" I asked raising an eyebrow.
He stood up following us into the room.
"If you can just sit up there for me." She instructed while pointing towards the table while closing the room door.
Black held Nicholas keeping him occupied.
Doing as she said she began preparing her equipment for the ultrasound.
"How is the pregnancy treating you so far?" She asked smiling.
"So far, no morning sickness."
Thank god. I thought to myself.
"How about you Dad?" She asked Black while placing gel onto my stomach.
The coldness made me jump.
"Nah, I'm not the father." He informed her.
"I'm sorry." She apologized.
By the redness of her cheeks I saw she was embarrassed.
"It's cool." He said returning his attention back to Nicholas.
Turning off the lights in the room the doctor began the ultrasound.
Hearing the baby's heart brought tears to my eyes.
"The baby look nice and healthy." The doctor smiled while looking at the screen.
I couldn't believe Rio missed this.
"If you can get the lights for me." The doctor instructed Black.
Doing as she asked she rubbed the gel off my stomach before disposing her gloves into the trash can.
"You can sit up."
She took a seat in a chair while writing information in the folder.
"You are familiar with the eating habits right?"
Nodding my head yes she went onto the next question.
The appointment lasted for thirty minutes as she informed me about what I could do.
"You have any questions for me?" She asked standing to her feet.
"I noticed I'm not showing--is that normal?"
"It's still fairly early in your pregnancy by the second trimester you should be fine."
Nodding my head in agreement she smiled.
"I'll see you next month. Set your next appointment with the nurse." She added before leaving the room.
Black stood to his feet helping me from the table.
"Thank you." I said as I grabbed my purse.
Doing as the doctor said I made my next appointment before leaving out.
Walking towards the car Black's phone began ringing again.
"Nigga, didn't I say I was gon call you?" He said into the phone.
I immediately knew he was talking to Rio.
"What's going on up there?" Black asked as he put Nicholas into his car seat.
Getting into the driver's seat I started the car waiting for Black to get in.
He stayed on the phone for another minute before disconnecting.
"Rio said call him when you make it in the house."
"What's going on at the hospital?" I questioned.
"Bullshit, her mama called him up there but you know he dealin' wit that restraining order issue." He said shaking his head.
Driving in the direction of the shop I glanced at Black who once again held his phone in his hand.
"What?" He asked looking up at me.
"Where did y'all go today?"
"I went to the court."
"Where did Rio go?" I pried.
Black shook his head.
"You can't keep tabs on yo man? That's bad shorty."
"Answer the question." I said annoyed.
"He said he had unfinished business to handle wit this man." He said shrugging his shoulders. "I think it was your Pops."
"Did he--."
"I don't know." Black said cutting me off. "I know he got "people" watching him because of that Megan shit he did a few weeks back and he wrapped up in that. I doubt he murked yo Pops."
Approaching a stop light I put my foot on the brakes.
"He told me he didn't have anything to do with Megan's death."
Black went back to scrolling through his phone.
"You believe that?" He asked nonchalantly.
Pulling up to the barbershop Black stepped out the car closing the door behind him without saying another word.
Torn, I didn't know who to believe.
Driving home I couldn't stop thinking about the information Black had given me.
Walking into the house I held Nicholas in my arms.
Making my way towards the kitchen I noticed a voicemail light flashed on the phone.
Pressing playback I listened as the voicemail started.
"Hey Lauren, it's Lolita. I just made it in from the hospital--and It was Charles. Somebody caught him while he was leaving the store and shot him this morning." She sighed. Her voice began crackling before she continued. "I'll talk to you later. Tell Nicholas I love him and kiss him for me."
The message ended.
Walking upstairs to undress a fussing Nicholas the words Rio's said to Roland replayed through my head.
"He gon get his and another thing comin'."