Chapter 20

A/N: Sorry for the wait. Between my personal life & the holiday I've been a mess...but thank you to everyone that was patience & hopefully you enjoy the update.
Don't forget to comment and vote @ the end of the chapter. Thanxs!!

ENJOY!!!

***

Mario's POV

I sat at the bar looking completely dumbfounded.
Not only was I about to put myself in a shitty situation, I was about to drag Petey down with me.
I needed to find a way to get myself out of this situation.
Pulling my phone from my pocket I dialed the last person I wanted to fuck with right now.
"Yo?" Black said answering almost immediately.
Standing up from the bar stool I left the Resturant returning back to my car.
Slipping into the driver's seat I immediately came up with a master plan.
"B, I need a favor."
I hadn't talked to him since our last run in but he was the only person that could help me at this moment.
Since getting the news from Serena that the Feds were on me I had reasons to believe my phone was tapped.
"What's goin on?--you good?" He asked noticing my tone.
"I'm straight." I assured him while trying to get to the point. "You was right about that nigga Glenn bruh."
"Damn--." He mumbled. "I told you."
I shook my head in disappointment.
"I ain't call to hear that "I-told-you-so" shit--this is about Lauren."
"What's up?"
Pulling out of the resturant's parking lot I glanced through the visor mirror noticing a black Nissan Altima turning out of the parking lot after me.
Adjusting the mirror I approached a stop light giving me a chance to get a better look at the vehicle behind me but the tinted windows made it hard to see who was driving.
Returning my eyes back to the road the stop light turned green.
Easing off of the brake I pulled off.
The thought of losing everything I invested in and worked hard for was eating away at me.
True enough I didn't earn the things I had by working a nine to five but a nigga definitely put in hard work and dedication to get it and wasn't looking forward to seeing it all snatched away.
Confused as to why Serena gave away the operation I wasn't going to question it.
"Rio?" Black called into the phone breaking my concentration.
I'd almost forgot he was still on the phone.
Shaking my head from the thoughts that crowded my brain I returned my attention back to the phone.
"Yeah--."
"I said what's up?" He repeated. "What's the favor?"
Looking through the rear view mirror I noticed the Altima lingering behind other cars and trucks trying not to give itself away.
"I need you to meet me at Inez place to pick up the rest of the work."
"Right now?" Black asked confused.
Glancing at the radio display the neon lights flashed the time back at me.
"In about two hours." I assured him.
Turning down a side street in the direction of Alaina's house I returned my eyes back to the rear view mirror to see the Altima turning as well.
I knew for sure I was being followed.
"Ight fam." Black sighed.
"In two hours." I said again for clarification.
"I got you."
Exchanging a few words we finally disconnected the call.
Still having animosity against Black I decided to put that third on my list of things to handle.
Petey had gone through all the trouble of getting a job setup for Glenn and I find out this nigga was an Opp.
Shaking my head in disappointment I tossed the phone into the passenger's seat before pulling in front of Alaina's house turning the car off.
Waiting to see if the Altima was going to pull up and park behind me I was surprised to see it ride pass.
Frowning I watched as the car left my vision and disappeared down the street.
Something didn't feel right.
Reaching into the glove compartment I removed my chrome 9mm before placing it in my waistband.
Cautiously stepping from the car I closed the door behind me looking both ways before walking across the street.
I'd seen many niggas "get got" when caught slipping and I refused to be one of those niggas today.
Walking up the walkway to a house I knew too well I rung the doorbell waiting for a reply.
It was just my luck that no one was outside on the block. Everything seemed so still and quiet.
Very unusual for this particular neighborhood.
Peering over my shoulder every two seconds I waited impatiently for the door to open.
"Who is it?" Alaina yelled from the other side.
"Rio, open up." I said rubbing my hands together.
"What do you want?"
"Girl, just open the damn door!" I demanded.
Hearing her deep sigh she cracked the door open.
"Whet?" She frowned.
Gently pushing into the house I closed the door behind me.
"What's yo problem?" I asked annoyed.
"Shouldn't you be with yo "girlfriend"?"
Not having time for her attitude I walked through the living room towards her bedroom.
"Where are you goin?" She asked pulling at my arm.
"I need the rest of the work you had stashed."
Folding her arms over her chest she bit down on her bottom lip.
"What?" I asked raising my eyebrow. "Talk. I'm on a timeframe." I said glancing at the gold watch that shined on my wrist.
"It's only half--I sold the rest."
"WHAT?"
Rubbing my temples to calm my nerves it took everything in me not to lay hands on her.
These bitches I had working with me were fucking incompetent.
"You better have the money." I snapped.
"I'll go get it." She said scurrying out of the living room towards her bedroom.
If I was going to leave and move my family I needed everything I could get.
Dragging a duffle into the room Alaina huffed deep breaths.
"You wanna help?" She frowned.
Walking towards her I lifted the bag up with ease peering inside.
"How much?"
"Thirty thousand." She said with confidence.
"So the other half is thirty thou in work?" I asked for assurance.
Nodding her head she took in a deep breath.
Staring at sixty gees before me wasn't enough to be set for life but adding it to the money in the bank Lauren, Nicholas, Jr and I would be able to live comfortably for a few years.
"Where's my son?" I asked while zipping the bag closed.
"Daycare." She said as if it was a dumb question.
Not being able to bring CJ with me was nerve wrecking but I was going to find a way.
"I need yo car keys."
Shooting me an evil look she cocked her head to the side as if I said something in another language.
"Where's yo car?" She questioned.
"Yo, just give me the keys. You'll get yo car back. I need it for a couple hours."
Hesitantly she reached on top of a computer desk placing the keys into my hands.
"How am I going to pick CJ up from daycare."
"Take the Camaro." I said tossing her my car keys.
Looking down at the keys in her hands she gave me a confused stare.
"What's goin on? You never offered me your car."
"It's a first time for everythin." I lied.
I just needed to create an distraction to whoever had followed me over here.
"It's in the garage right?" I asked referring to her car.
Nodding her head yes while still in shock I wasted no time walking through the house towards the back door.
Opening the garage door I pressed the unlock button on the key ring deactivating the car alarm.
Slipping into the driver's seat of her 2014 Dodge Challenger I tossed the duffle bag into the passenger's seat before starting the car.
Easing out of the garage and into the alley I pulled out onto a Main Street.
Remembering I ditched my cellphone in the Camero I needed to have a form of communication.
Pulling into the parking lot of a nearby prepaid cellphone joint I found the closest park before getting out.
"Xclusive V.I.P." lit up in bright lights as I made my way towards the door of the small establishment.
The bell rung as I walked over the threshold.
"What's up man? Welcome to Xclusive V.I.P." A guy that looked to be about two hundred pounds said as I approached the counter.
"I need a disposable phone."
"What kind? I have a flip for seventy five dollars." He said getting straight to the point.
My kind of business man.
Looking through the glass counters at the phones I wasn't satisfied with none of them but I needed something.
"Let me see it." I informed him before hearing the bell over the door ring indicating someone had walked into the store.
"Welcome to Xclusive V.I.P--I'll be right with you sir." The clerk announced as he walked into a back room of the store.
Glancing at the man that walked into the store I greeted him with a head nod and he returned the gesture.
"That's you parked out there in that handicap spot?" He asked making conversation.
"Yeah--." I said placing my hands inside my pant pockets.
"They really ticket out here for that. You may wanna consider moving."
"I'm good. I'll be outta hea in a minute." I said dismissing the conversation.
The clerk walked back towards the front of the store holding a Motorola razor in his hand.
A Razor? For seventy dollars? Razor phones had been out of style for awhile but I needed to work with whatever he had.
"That'll do." I said while pulling a stack from my pocket and dropping a hundred dollar bill onto the counter.
"I don't accept hundreds." He immediately said.
What kinda shit? All I had was hundreds.
"Yo my man--you got change?" I asked the man behind me while holding up the Benjamin.
"All I have is a card." He smiled.
"Damn." I mumbled. "You can't just take this? I need that phone."
"Nah man. No hundreds." The clerk said pointing to a sign. "Your next sir." He said to the man behind me.
Stepping to the side I let the man that walked in after me step to the counter.
"I'm just paying my phone bill." He said dropping his Black card onto the counter.
"Your ID?" The clerk asked.
The man pulled his ID from his wallet handing it to the clerk.
"How much was the phone?" The man turned to me and asked.
"Seventy five."
"I can just add it to my card and you can get a hundred dollars worth of shit and give me the cash."
Giving it a thought I agreed.
"Here you are Mr. Johnson." The clerk said handing the man back his ID.
"Precciate bruh."
"No problem." He said while getting his card back from the clerk.
After doing the transaction I grabbed my bag from the man.
"What's yo name?" I asked as I walked towards my car.
"Mario but my people call me Ace." He said as he returned his wallet to his back pocket. "Yours?"
"The same." I said with a look of shock. "Yo uh--yo last name Johnson?" I frowned.
I was never the one to pry but this nigga couldn't have possibly had the same name as me. First and last? Hell nah..
Ace let out a loud laugh.
"Yeah--I had a son named after me so I find it ironic I met someone with my same name."
"Had?--what you mean?"
Ace gave me an unsure look.
"I'm not tryna be in yo business. I find it ironic too." I said partially telling the truth.
"Long story short, we lost contact. His mother moved him away from me while he was still a baby."
"You said "had" like he died or somethin." I chuckled.
"It was nice meeting you--take care." Ace said before walking off.
She told me who my biological father was but I couldn't help but to believe she was holding something back.
Trying to shake my head of the thought I unlocked the doors to the car climbing into the driver's seat.
Pulling the phone from the box I activated it by following the instructions.
Starting the car I pulled from the parking lot before calling Lauren.
"Hello?" She said softly into the phone.
Hearing her voice gave me a soothing feeling.
"Why are you callin me from an unknown number--where are you?" She questioned.
"I'll explain it later--right now, I need you to pack and go to my mother's house."
Merging onto the crowded expressway I knew it was going to be a few hours until I saw her.
"Is everythin' okay?" She asked with worry.
"Yeah."
"Why do I need to pack?"
"Lauren, just listen to me--." I tried to continue before she cut me off.
"Mario, we talked about this."
"I know, I know but bae I promise if you just do this I'll explain everythin later."
Sighing into the phone it was a brief moment of silence before she broke it.
"Okay but--please be careful."
"I will."
Hesitantly I disconnected the call before calling Celia.
As expected her phone went directly to the voicemail not allowing me to leave a message.
I'd been telling her to clear her mailbox since last month but she would always have an excuse.
I needed to talk to her about the man I met today and the more thought I gave it the more I wanted to know.
Sending her a text message to return my call I drove in the direction of Inez's house.
Inez had a large amount of work stashed at her house that belonged strictly to Petey. He'd given her a special job of cutting the bricks and all I had to do was deliver the goods to him undamaged.
The job a lone brought in almost fifty thousand.
The last thing I needed to do was deliver his work to him then get my family and leave town before shit hit the fan.
Buying a house on the outskirts of town had to be one of the smartest decisions of my life and the only person that knew about my second home was Celia.
Using the number pad I quickly dialed Petey's number as I could see the exit I was going to take from the expressway ahead of me.
"Rio, what's up?" He said into the phone after the third ring.
"Yo, I got some crazy news." I sighed while riding the shoulder of the expressway to the exit.
"What's the word?"
"You know the nigga Glenn I was tryna put on--I found out he workin' undercover." I said slightly ashamed.
Petey inhaled a deep breath.
"You can't be serious."
"Dead ass bruh." I said with a serious face as if he could see me.
Glancing through the side mirrors I made sure I wasn't being followed by any state troopers for my illegal driving.
"We need to come up wit a plan." I quickly stated my thoughts before returning my eyes back to the road.
"Lets meet up." Petey said annoyed.
"Ight. Meet me at the shop."
"Give me a hour." He demanded before disconnecting the call.
"Fuck." I mumbled to myself.
What did Petey need an hour for? I questioned myself.
The last thing I needed was to go back to jail and miss the birth of my child.

***
Pulling up to Ines two bedroom apartment complex I parked the car getting out.
It was always some young niggas standing outside of her building hustling, flagging down every car that rode pass.
"Rio, what's good?" One thug asked as I walked up the walkway to the entrance.
Dressed in a long white tee and blue jeans you could see the hunger in his eyes.
Giving him a head nod I opened the door to the complex.
"If you lookin' for Inez, She's upstairs." He said giving me a heads up.
Walking down the long pissed smelled hallway I started up the unsteady stairs to her apartment landing.
The sounds of Young Jeezy's "Trap or Die" played from the inside of her apartment.
Pulling my phone from my pocket I dialed her number.
"Hey daddy." She answered in a seductive voice.
Kissing my teeth, I rolled my eyes.
"Open the door." I said before hanging up.
Stuffing the phone back into my pocket I waited until I heard the locks twisting from the other side of the door.
Minutes later a cloud of smoke entered the hallway and the powerful smell of marijuana invaded my lungs.
Stepping into the apartment I closed the door behind me making my way into the living room.
Decorated in lavender and cream decor from wall to wall two guys sat on a couch with their feet up on the coffee table passing a blunt back and forth.
Both men looked like foot soldiers that were most likely pushing my work in the streets. Dressed in the usual thug attire, white tees and blue jeans they both looked up at me as I entered the room.
"What's good bruh?" One thug asked as he made himself more comfortable on the couch.
Giving him a head nod I glanced at Inez before returning my attention back towards them.
"I gotta holla at her." I said queuing the two guys to leave. "Give us a minute."
"It's yo world boss." He joked while standing from his seat.
Following in line the other thug stood up as well.
"What's yo name?" I asked stopping the first guy to speak while signaling the other one to leave.
"Clayton."
Shaking my head I lightly laughed.
"You know who you talkin to right?" I asked for clarification.
"Yeah, I know who you are."
"When I tell you to move around, I don't expect for you to say shit back--now, I don't have to tell you who I am because of course, you already know that but I take yo talkin back as in a form of disrespect."
"I ain't mean nothin' by it--it was just a joke." He said trying to plead his case.
Nodding my head I dismissed him.
Immediately walking out of the front door he closed it behind him.
"Damn Rio." Inez joked while firing up a blunt and bringing it to her lips.
Flopping down onto the couch she took a long pull from the blunt before blowing it into the air. "What's up?"
"When was the last time you talked to Teddy?"
Rubbing her hands through her virgin Brazilian hair she flipped it over her shoulder as she continued smoking.
"Today--he said he had a job for me." She answered slightly licking her lips.
Interrupting our conversation someone knocked on the front door causing a look of shock to appear across her face.
Frozen like a deer caught in headlights she reluctantly stood from the couch.
"Get the door." I demanded as she put her weed out into an ashtray.
Rolling her eyes at me she took small steps to the front door before peering through the peephole.
"Who is it?" She asked putting her head down waiting for a reply.
Pulling my gun from my waist I clutched the cold steel in my hand preparing for the worst.
"It's Ted. Open up."
Glancing back at me Inez gave me a disappointing stare.
"You want this money or what girl?" Teddy asked through the door with glee.
Signaling Inez to open up she pulled the door open while stepping to the side giving him a chance to enter the small apartment.
"What took you so long to answer?" He asked her before walking into the living room.
Coming from around the corner placing the barrel of the gun to his temple I took the safety off.
"So, you wanna set niggas up?" I asked through gritted teeth.
I was seconds away from pulling the trigger.
"Rio--let's talk about it." Teddy begged.
Inez disappeared into the back of the house leaving Teddy and I alone.
"You wired?" I asked while checking him.
Nodding his head no I pushed him onto the couch causing him to fall back forcefully.
Sweat poured from his forehead as he held his hands up in a surrendering position.
"You a informative for the police?"
Hanging his head low he blew out a deep breath.
"I didn't have a choice."
"Fuck you mean you didn't have a choice?" I snarled while still aiming the gun at him.
Hearing a gun cock behind me I turned to see Inez pointing a .45 towards me.
"He didn't have a choice--put the fuckin' gun down." She demanded.
The moment caught me off guard giving Teddy a chance to stand up from the couch.
Walking towards me Inez placed the barrel of the gun to my temple.
"Put the gun down Rio." She demanded again.
With my back against the wall and no exit plan I did as she instructed.
"You gon kill me?"
"I should--." She snapped while picking the gun up and handing it to Teddy. "I'm not lettin' you play me anymore."
Rage filled my entire body. I should've followed my gut when I knew it was a chance she was setting me up.
"The cops been watchin' you since you were bonded out of jail for the gun charge you caught--and the night my place was raided I was given a proposition--all I had to do was tell them who your supplier was in exchange for twenty five thousand." She spat.
Switching the gun to her left hand she raised it higher making sure I wouldn't budge.
"You set me up." I stated.
"You can say that--I bet you wish you've done right by me." She said. "You can't go around playin' with people's hearts."
This bitch had to be rollin. She knew what was up with us from the jump.
"Yo dumb ass, what make you think they really gon give you twenty five Gees for droppin' names?" I snapped.
Even with a gun aimed at me I still couldn't control my temper.
Besides, my patience was beginning to grow thin.
"I just want revenge. I offered Teddy half the cut if he would tell Glenn everythin he knew about you just so they could tack more time onto your sentence." She smirked. "That's when he told them about Megan."
I shook my head in disappointment. If these fuckin idiots knew any better they would've known I used Doughboy's gun to murk that bitch.
The evidence would never add up.
I was always a step ahead.
Inez stood back with a smile on her face as if she'd won the battle.
"So what now?" Teddy asked impatiently.
Going through my pockets she grabbed the stack of cash, phone and car keys.
If only she didn't have a gun pointed at me I thought silently to myself but my facial expression said it all.
Stopping in her tracks as a loud knock came across the front door Teddy gave her an unsure look.
"You expectin' company?"
"It's probably one of the guys--let him in." She quickly stated before turning her attention back to me.
Leaving from the living room and walking towards the front door Teddy took a look through the peephole.
"Ima miss you Rio, sure wish I could've taste you one last time." She said softly before placing her hand on the trigger preparing herself to cock back.
I wasn't scared of death but I knew that when my time came there was no stopping it.
Walking into the living room Black gripped his hands up as Teddy held him at gun point.
"Yo, what the fuck is this?" Black asked with fears in his eyes.
"What you want me to do with him?" Teddy asked still clutching the gun in his hands.
Turning towards Black, Inez aimed her gun perfectly like she was a pro at shooting.
"Sweet dreams." She began to say before pulling the trigger.
Black closed his eyes as he knew he was about to meet his fate but her gun didn't shoot.
"Did you take the safety off?" Teddy asked before I could tackle him to the floor.
The back of his head slammed against the coffee table breaking the glass putting his body in a paralyzingly position.
Inez frowned as she tried to figure out the problem with the gun but it was too late.
Firing a few rounds her body collapsed back onto the couch.
"You straight?" I asked Black.
Still shook up over his near death experience he glanced down at his shaking hands before balling them into fist.
Closing his eyes he silently did a quick prayer.
Inez laid on the couch gasping for air as I stepped over Teddy's body making my way into her bedroom and over to her closet pulling out a large duffle filled with work.
Police sirens rung out in the distance.
Rubbing his hands over his fade Black looked in disbelief.
"U good?" I asked him again while dapping him once walking back into the living room.
Inez had given her last breath and laid unmoved.
"Go." Black said handing me his car keys. "Go be wit yo family."
At that moment I realized that beefing with my nigga over a girl wasn't worth it.
He may have made a bad attempt at talking to Lauren but at the end of the day my nigga was loyal.
"Make sure you do right by them."
Giving him an assuring head nod I left from the apartment taking two stairs at a time until I reached the bottom floor landing.
Immediately spotting Black's Cadillac Escalade I made my way towards the drivers door tossing the bag inside and slipping into the driver's seat.
I needed a clean getaway but not before settling things with Petey.
Pulling off I started in the direction of the shop.
Getting there in no time I slowed down as I noticed red and blue lights flashing in front of me.
Police officers, Swat members and U.S. Marshall's surrounded the barbershop.
Thankful for the tinted windows on the truck I slowly pulled up noticing Petey and two others being escorted to a squad car.
"Fuck!" I said as I banged the steering wheel.
With no other choice I pulled off before being spotted.
Everyone was going to point the finger at me for getting Petey locked up all because it happened at my shop and we did business together.
Niggas were going to pay to have me killed.