4. December

On the fourth day of Christmas, Mr Jack Frost gave to me,
- Four dirty smirks,
- Three subtle hints,
- Two tiny smiles
And a big shocker to my panties...

Fourth of December was a Sunday, ergo the coffee shop was closed. Summer had the day off to do some Christmas shopping, and maybe even catch up on some old letters from people. Yes, her friends send her letters rather than emails since she hardly ever used electronics. She was old fashioned like that.

So that lovely chilly Sunday, Summer headed for the local mall where some of the stores were still open for advent. The whole mall was decorated in sparkly fairy lights and festive Christmas banners, along with elves and goblin figurines here and there. Not to mention the centre of the mall that had the big "come meet Santa" sign up, and then of course Santa's seat.

Ah, yes. Christmas. Kids were dragging their parents around to look at everything in the shop windows while Summer smiled to herself, observing their merry Christmas mood from afar. She wished she could feel that way again, but she had long ago lost that Christmas spirit.

Walking down the different aisles, gazing at the shop windows, Summer begun planning what to get for people. Her aunt should get a nice new coffee-maker. Her uncle could always need a new sweater. She didn't have much left in the way of family, but those she had she always spoiled. The rest went to her friends.

What to get for Bev, though, was Summer's biggest concern. She was her best friend. Clothes and a few jewelries wouldn't do it. The best friend should always get something extra special.

And then of course there was herself. As selfish as it sounded, she always bought herself a little something for Christmas. It was her own way of saying 'you worked hard this year, here is your reward.' But what should that reward be this year? Perhaps some nice, expensive lingerie...

"Out Christmas shopping, are we?"

Yelping, Summer spun around and found Jack standing right behind her, giving her a little smirk that she swore had a dirty glint to it. "Jack, God, you startled me!"

He didn't reply to that, just glanced up at the boutique she had admiring from the window. "Doesn't really seem warm enough for winter, does it?"

Blushing, Summer tried to hide her embarrassment by being caught browsing at sexy lingerie. "Uh, no. It's for a friend, actually."

"It always is, isn't it?" He provided her with another dirty smirk before walking around her to glance at the trousseau. He gave the display a good glance, then nodded at a saucy red piece. "I would go with that one. It screams Merry Christmas. Or at least it's going to make someone do that."

She blushed even more now. The man had no filter on his mouth. "O-kay... Always great with a man's opinion."

"It's really for us after all, isn't it?" He gave her a quick smirk when she glanced up at him, shocked. "Go with the red piece. Your 'friend's' boyfriend will love it."

"Uh, she doesn't have one," Summer replied, now turning on her foot and began walking. Jack followed.

"Oh?" For some reason, he smirked to himself.

"Nope," She shook her head, deliberately trying not to glance at him. Those smirks kept on coming and disturbed her thoughts, as did his cane that tapped rhythmically against the floors in a jolly tune as they walked. "She's been too busy with work to have time for a boyfriend. Or at least that's what she tells me," She quickly added. Why were they talking about this? More importantly, why was she telling him this?

"Has she really been too busy or has she purposely been keeping herself that way to avoid getting hurt?" Jack asked.

Summer stopped up. Turning to him, she looked up at him perplexed and blinked. "W-what?"

Jack's crystal blue eyes sparkled as he looked back at her. "Are you lonely, Summer? You're shopping all alone and it's Christmas. That's not a state to be in in this holiday."

Okay, setting aside the fact that he had obviously known they weren't talking about her friend, where the hell did he find the right to ask her such a personal question like they were old friends? Maybe he just cared, but why should he? They barely knew each other. In fact they were strangers. "Pardon me, Mr. Frost, but I can't see how that's any of your concern. If you don't mind, I'd like to continue my Christmas shopping alone now."

"I'm sorry, I overstepped." He apologized and stopped following her. "Merry Christmas, Summer."

She didn't reply, just kept walking, not daring to look back. He had touched a sensitive place in her heart by asking her if she was lonely. Truth was, she was.

She felt all alone in this cold world.

• • •

Cold, cold Christmas...
Happy second advent! Anyone going/been to church?