14. December

Bev had gotten a light concussion and a few colorful bruises, but other than that, she was fine. The hospital made her stay the night to monitor her concussion as a safety precaution. Summer wanted to stay the night, but Bev told her to go home and sleep. Only very unwillingly did Summer do so, but then came back the next morning at the strike of dawn to pick up Bev and drive her home. She helped her down in the car, even all the way home and up the stairs to her bed. Luckily, Bev still lived at her parents place, so her parents would look after her. If that hadn't been the case, Summer would've insisted she came home with her and stayed at her own house.

"Summer, I'm fine," Bev kept assuring her. "I slipped on the ice, I wasn't watching where I was going. I was jamming to Jingle Bell Rock and I didn't see the icepatch. It was my fault. Well, mine and Bobby Helms. Seriously, did he have to write such a catchy tune?"

"If there weren't any ice, you wouldn't have had to look out," Summer argued with a strained voice.

"Please, then I would've just tripped over my own feet, I'm a horrible dancer," Bev snorted to herself. "I think the ice did us all a favor."

"Don't say that, that ice could've killed you!" She protested. "What if you had landed wrong and broken your neck? I can't live without you, Bev."

Bev immediately looked up at her and then her face softened. She softly took Summer's hand and squeezed it in hers. "I know this had to bring back some bad memories for you. I understand why you feel that," She gave her a little smile, "but I'm fine, Summer. You shouldn't blame the ice for my recklessness. I knew it was icy out there and I still decided to dance. That's like deciding to swim after you ate, even though it hasn't been half an hour!"

Summer shook her head. Bev couldn't shake her opinion on this, just like Jack couldn't either.

But, speaking of him, she hadn't heard from him since yesterday where she left him standing on the ice. She had tried calling him last night, after she got home from the hospital, using the number he had called her shop with, but he didn't pick up. She wanted to talk to him after what happened. She felt as if she had blamed him for only trying to help her. She needed to make it right with him, make him understand she wasn't mad at him. She actually missed him – she really needed him now more than ever.

But Jack didn't pick up his phone and life had to continue. With Bev now on bedrest, Summer was in charge of the coffee shop alone. She went down there and opened it up by herself, then begun waiting the customers, hoping every time the door opened, it was Jack who would step through. But it wasn't. The whole day passed by and there was no sign of him. She tried calling him two more times, but he still didn't pick up. Summer now had to come to the conclusion that he was avoiding her.

It hurt to admit that she had hurt him. It wasn't fair to call them even now, but she at least thought that he would've understood somehow. But no. Instead he did the immature thing and avoided her.

She also didn't know where he lived – if he had rented a room or was staying at a hotel. She knew so little about him, yet she cared so much for him, and she supposed it went the other way as well, given how much Jack had tried to help her overcome her fears. But fact of the fact was, they were strangers.

As evening came and it was time to close up the shop, Summer still hadn't heard from him. The weather had gotten worse in the meantime. Dark clouds slid over the sky and made the whole of Whitefish look somber and bleak. Some sloppy snowflakes were falling down and melted on the ground and turned it into a slushy landscape. The cold was really setting in.

Summer got into her car and turned on the engine, immediately putting the warmth on even though there was no warm air yet. She pulled out of her parking spot and rolled onto the slippery roads. She hated this kind of weather. If snow absolutely had to fall, it could at least stay on the ground instead of turning into mush.