Chapter Eighteen; "Broken Footpaths"

Jason's POV

I inhaled the cigerette deep into my lungs; my eyes locked onto the school gates as I leant against a pole across the road.

It had been three days.

Three days of not seeing Justin come into the library for studying, or having any contact with him.

He wouldn't even reply to my texts. And I'd sent at least a hundred of them within the three days of not hearing from him.

My last resort was creeping outside the school and hoping I could spot him and just see if he was alright.

I took a larger drag of the cigerette; the burn keeping my stress levels from getting worse. I'd gone through three packets since the altercation with Justin's dad.

He was a fucking prick.

The sound of the school bell blaring loudly indicated school had finally finished.

I blew out a puff of smoke, dropping the rest of my smoke onto the ground and squishing it under the sole of my shoe.

Justin never seemed to be fond of my addiction, so I didn't want to rush over to him with a cigerette in my hand... if I can spot him amongst the kids coming out in large groups.

I dont know if you've watched the Hunger Games, but it was like watching the scene where they race to get their weapons and supplies at the start of the games; the kids looked like they were on a mission to see who could get out of the gates first.

I chuckled to myself, slightly amused.

I waited patiently for the familiar face; it was like playing Where's Wally (Where's Waldo) trying to find Justin within all the people.

After a few more minutes of trying to find him; my hopes began to die a little.

Did I miss him?

I frowned, unhappy that my attempt to meet him after school seemed to fail epically - but I suddenly noticed two boys who might be the second best thing.

What were their names again? Riley and Charlie? Who cares?

"Yo!" I shouted, crossing the road so I could speak to Justin's two friends.

The boys both looked up at me, surprised I was approaching them.

"Justin's friends, right?" I asked, pointing at them.

"Yeah, Ryan." The short haired boy held out his hand for a shake.

I cringed, "No." I pushed his hand back down, "Where's Justin?"

"Rude." Ryan grumbled.

The other boy rose a brow, "Why should we tell you? You're part of a gang. We dont assocoate ourselves with criminals."

I scoffed, "Listen here Charlie,"

"It's Chaz." He huffed.

"I dont give a fuck, Charlie Brown, if you dont tell me where Justin is, I'll snap your fingers." I threatened in agitation.

I aint playing games with these fools.

Ryan cleared his throat, "Hey, calm down. We'll tell you when we find out ourselves."

I furrowed my brows, "Whats that supposed to mean?"

They both shared a look, their faces coming across as worried.

"Justin hasnt missed a day of school. Like never." Ryan looked at me, "But he hasn't come since last Friday."

"Is he sick?" I swallowed.