Chapter 17

Lacey's POV

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

I wake up to the sound of my alarm and yawn. I really needed that nap.

I stretch and get out of bed, brush my hair and slip on my vans and a sweatshirt.

I don't care what I look like around Shawn.

Not anymore.

On my way. Are you at the park already?

Yep...I've been here for the past twenty minutes

I'm coming, I'm coming...

Ha 😉

Please just don't go there. That was a mistake. Just because I'm agreeing to meet with you doesn't mean we're all buddy-buddy again.

I know. Sorry.

I don't reply and take my time walking to the park.

I take in the brightly colored flowers and the chirping of the birds nestled in cozy little homes in trees.

I see a Weeping Willow tree around the corner from the park and tears prick my eyes.

Those were my mom's favorite trees.

I sniffle, keep my eyes on the grey concrete and keep walking.

I get there and spot him on the swings holding his phone.

I don't say a word and sit next to him on the other swing. My feet are flat on the ground and I rock back and forth, leaning forward and putting pressure on my toes then pushing back, swinging a little.

"Look, I'm not sure how to explain this." He starts.

I stay quiet and don't dare look at him.

I stare at the dark woodchips beneath me and don't move my eyes from them.

I'm afraid that if I look at him I'll burst into tears and want his comfort.

I shake my head, trying to rid my cheeks of the tears about to come.

"What's going on? Are you okay?" He sounds genuinely concerned.

"No." I whisper, not daring to raise my voice any higher so he doesn't hear my voice crack.

It doesn't work and silent tears slide down my cheeks and splash onto my jeans.

He shifts and wraps his arms around me. I try to resist but I realize I need someone to hold me before I break down and lose my mind.

He says nothing, knowing I don't wish to talk.

I just want to cry.

And cry.

And cry.

I want to cry and cry myself to sleep, putting me in a deep sleep that I'll never wake up from.

"What happened? Did I make you that upset?" He asks gently.

I shake my head and sob into his chest. "No, that's not it."

"Tell me." He demandes gently.

"My mom- she's dead. She killed herself." I say softly.