Chapter Four (Edited 8/29/2020)

Brilliant cover made by @erca_bush

Silently Falling: Chapter Four

My body freezes. My mind travels to that one night. My eyes stick to my tray of food that now just makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Toby, Tyler, and Gray each stand to block my view of Warren and vise versa. They do this every time he comes around so I won't have to look at him.

My rapist.

He never got serious penalties for what he did to me. His father is a lawyer, and a damn good one at that. He somehow only got charged for under-age drinking. The rape charges got dropped altogether, without me being able to sit through a trial. Everything was too fresh in my mind, my therapist didn't think I was ready for something so fierce. I was still having trouble remembering what had happened. Because of that, because of my own cowardice, Warren got off with nothing but community service. Toby tried to threaten him into pleading guilty, but Warren's dad refused to even let Toby speak to Warren.

My dad was there for us. He actually came home and stayed to help, but when he realized there would be no trial there wasn't much he could do. He was fully ready to drop whatever money he needed to help me get justice, I just couldn't do it. I wasn't strong enough.

"What are you doing here, Warren?" Toby seethes, body nearly shaking from anger.

Warren chuckles as he casually stands in front of us, as though he isn't seconds away from getting punched in the face.

"I wanted to introduce myself to West, of course." He says, his eyes moving to said delinquent.

I can feel all eyes on us, the hushed whispers of my classmates as they gossip about what's going down at my table. No one knows what happened, they just know that something happened. Yet another reason going to trial was too difficult of an option; everyone would know what I went through. I was only a freshman, I didn't want my next four years to be ruined by one night.

That is potentially the biggest mistake I made, because by being afraid of being judged I still ruined the next four years of my life, and the years beyond. I ruined them because Warren never got the punishment he deserved, and I never got that closure. I can't say for sure that getting Warren convicted would make things easier on me now, but I'll never know.

I'm shocked when I look at West. He suddenly looks like what the rumors described; terrifying. The cool look in his eye is gone, instead replaced with a stern look of intimidation. His mouth changes from his earlier smile to a straight line; clearly not amused by Warren.

"I'm Warren Snow, captain of the baseball team. Figured I'd extend the offer of you coming over and eating with us instead of sitting with the help."

West doesn't say anything. He just stares silently, expression never wavering.

Warren clears his throat, "I heard you aren't much for talk...but I get it. Don't want to be rude on your first day and randomly leave these losers. I respect that. Tomorrow though, my table is right over there."

West narrows his eyes, "Warren, was it?"

He grins, his thin lips nearly disappearing.

"You gay or something?"

My jaw drops, as does everyone else's at my table.

Of all the responses...I can guarantee that was not something any of us expected.

Warren recoils in shock, mouth slightly open. "E-excuse me?"

West shrugs with a sly grin, crossing his arms over his chest. "I've never had a straight guy pursue me like this."