Chapter Eight (Edited 9/1/2020)

Thank you for all the comments and votes, I hope you all enjoy this chapter :)

9/1/2020 - I've added a YouTube video for ASL basic phrases above! Since this chapter is West going over the basics, I figured I would make it easy for you all to visualize what he's learning and maybe learn some yourself! Also, you will notice the lack of comments you see. That is because I rewrote most of this chapter, so please please please comment away and get the in-line comments back up!!

Poll: Chipotle or Moe's ??

Silently Falling: Chapter Eight

"Nice place," West comments as I open the door for him.

Toby is right behind me, his expression stoic and posture stiff. I know he isn't happy West is here, but he's at least trying.

He's gone all overprotective brother on me again, which can at times lead to him being irrational in his decisions. He only does so when a guy shows interest in me, but West hasn't shown interest in me. He's shown an interest in sign language, which just so happens to be a part of me.

"I'm making myself a snack." Toby states gruffly, his shoulders squared as he walks away.

I sigh deeply and watch him go, at least appreciating he didn't make any rude remark. Now is the time for me to feel awkward, standing alone in the entrance way to my house with the school's delinquent. I glance at West, who takes off his jacket and places it on the coat hanger by the door.

He must notice my inquisitive stare because he chuckles. "Delinquents have manners too."

My cheeks heat up a bit and I quickly walk into the living room, grabbing my whiteboard from on the coffee table with a rainbow of dry erase markers next to it. West plops down on the couch next to me, making my own cushion jump up a tad. He makes himself right at home, placing his feet on the coffee table right next to my markers and placing his arms around the back of the couch.

"Cozy," he smirks. "So, what's first Sunshine? 'Hello, goodbye, what's your number', 'want to get out of here and go someplace more private'? You know, the basics."

I roll my eyes at him, choosing to ignore the latter part of his question. I exaggerate two waves as 'hello' and 'goodbye', but then I sigh and grab the whiteboard.

'Technically, this would be the proper sign for hello.'

I set the whiteboard down once I've finished writing and he's read it, showing him the proper signs. For 'hello', I lift my hand with an open palm to my temple and then wave it out.

"Seems easy enough."

'Okay, next we'll do your name. Normally, when meeting another person who uses ASL for the first time, you would finger spell your name. Then, if someone who is deaf or uses ASL as their primary form of communication wants to, they will give your name its own sign.'

West reads over my shoulder as I write as quickly as possible.

"Finger spell? Like, as in with the alphabet that we learned back in kindergarten?"

I nod, giving him an inquisitive stare to silently ask if he remembers it.

"I never thought learning the ASL alphabet would come in handy so I didn't bother to really pay attention."

I roll my eyes, but he's not done there and I watch as he smirks at me.

"Besides, how was I supposed to know a cute girl like you would end up teaching me?"