Chapter Twenty Four (Edited 10/29/2020)

This unique cover was made by none other than WesternStarGazer

10/29/2020 - After, like, 5 years, I finally understand why WesternStarGazer put a strawberry in the cover- maybe it's meant to hint that, like strawberries, Raine is also West's weakness? Hmmm... food for thought (pun intended). Also, you guys said you really enjoyed me morphing songs into the edits so I included another in this chapter. As you can tell from there being 0 in-line comments, I went ahead and pretty much rewrote this entire chapter. So please give it some love!

Song: Ran Away by Hollow Coves (attached)

Silently Falling: Chapter Twenty Four

Mr. C decided he wanted another song for the showcase and gave me a rather strict deadline to complete it. I told West about it today at lunch and he offered to come over after school and help, and now we're both chilling in the living room trying to come up with a song fit for the Chorus showcase. He brought his guitar over to help provide a different sound in hopes that it will help with creating lyrics.

He's sitting on the sectional; lounging back on the 'L' portion of the couch with his guitar resting comfortably in his hands as he strums some chords. I watch his forearms flex as he shifts his hand on the neck of the guitar, the veins popping out just slightly. I scan his body momentarily without even realizing it, silently appreciating his build. I can easily imagine the abs that undoubtedly lie beneath his shirt, if his muscled arms and toned shoulders are any indicator.

My mind goes to the times I've been held in those arms and the safety that I felt. Is it all false security? Just an illusion brought on by strong arms that are tricking me into feeling safe and protected, or do I need to keep my guard up? The closer he's getting to learning my deepest darkest secret the more my mind is battling on how to handle it. I still have a lot to lose from West discovering the truth; him included.

"Sunshine?"

I jump in my seat when West says my name- well...nickname, and blink a few times as I focus on meeting his cocky gaze. Please pretend like you didn't just catch me staring...

"Maybe after we finish writing this song I can give you a lesson in how to stare more discreetly."

I fight the urge to bury my face in my hands from embarrassment and instead choose to pointedly look away.

"Yeah right, there's no such thing as discreet staring."

West smirks. "You sure about that?"

I nod, faltering in confidence from the mischievous gleam in his eye.

"You've never caught me."

If my face wasn't red before, it sure as hell is now.

"Just help me with the song," I sign, turning away.

I hear his laughter from behind me as he sits up.

"Is nothing coming to mind for lyrics?"

I shake my head and let out a sigh.

"Hmm," he hums, "could you use one of your songs from your own songbook and just put a twist on it? It would save you a lot of time and effort."

I shake my head. Those are my personal songs. Not songs for a bunch of teenagers to sing at a concert where no one will understand the depth of the lyrics.