Chapter 1

It was a cool morning in the hamlet of Nightshade. The surrounding forests gave way to a small townhouse square with many shops and restaurants. Then to a lovely shoreline of the most pale sand. Most infamously known in the town was the mansion owned by the recently elected commissioner. The mansion sat atop majestic mountains which were caressed by the silver, blue silk the clashed with the hardened stone columns. Columns which have stood the tests of time for millennia. Dawn rested her heavenly glow upon my creamy drapes. And the room lit up with wonderful glow that warmed my sheets ever so slightly. As the autumn breeze stretched into my room I could envision the roses greeting me to the grandness of the open garden. The very smell of the garden made me smile. The breeze gave my grounded body lift and I felt my soul become like a bird. The sun guided my flight through ivory, cream cotton and an open icy blanket. I sensed the luminous streams of the celestial-candle bending to my will and I felt calm and safe.
"Gwendolyn, wake up!" called a shrill, piercing voice from behind the oak door.
" It's Saturday, mother. Leave me alone," I replied.
     My mother opened the maple wood door -that not to long ago repelled the bitter chill of reality. "Get out of bed young lady! You should not be craving for such downtime. Especially because I know what you are going to be doing."
" And what might that be mother?"
" You are planning on staying in this reading about nothing, but fictional characters that you believe have some tie to our natural reality."
"They are not fictional characters, mother. They are people who,unlike ourselves, carry special and specific powers over the elements . For example, those who control water are known as Naucticalians and those of fire are-"
" Enough! Gwendolyn, you are acting like a child; it is time you face reality. Those creatures are not real!You have finally come to the time in your life when all will be perfect. The Greyson family is of rich decent and our family promised them some sort of return for your stepfather's campaign. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in a mad house or have the chance to live the rest of your life in luxury?"
I went silent. Am I truly that naive to be believing in these creatures? Do I even want to be with someone I have strictly only had business with- not even with me personally- my stepfather? My mind wandered through all the findings I had to leave,the feelings I had yet to feel,the freedom I had to sacrifice. The look in my mother's eyes spoke in depth; leave your childish notions behind and become a human of reality.
"I'll be ready in forty five minutes." I replied lowering my head to strike all belief in the people of nature.
"Good choice, my dear. I'll see you downstairs in forty five minutes," my mother left me in my room to think. I looked at the shelf of books and a stack of boxes from when we moved in. I walked over and picked up a box and began placing the books inside. As I looked at each book placed into the boxes, I promised myself to never look at them again. I even planned to donate them to the town library when I had the chance.
Once finished with the small feet of labor I began to dress myself. I chose my favorite deep Caribbean blue dress. My hair, a pale amber, I styled to a braided bun sat atop my head. The same head which encased the knowledge of fiction and fantasy. My mind began to speak to itself. Grown young women do NOT read on fictional characters. Even though I know more about them than I probably should. I am a terrible lady. I don't even know if I wanted this, but unfortunately I already chose. Fate cannot change it, I'm going to be a woman of honor to my future husband even if I dislike it. I cannot change it now. Only myself.

~~•~~•*•~~•~~

"Is she on her way down dear?"asked my stepfather as he opened the glimmering,sleek ebony door of the car.
"She should be on her way give her a bit more time," answered mother.
I looked out the window to the car and ran back up stairs to my room. On my oak wood dresser sat a gold locket with an engraved sun on the circular pendant-a gift from my father for my sixteenth birthday. I opened the pendant which held an engraving, Don't ever stop believing in yourself because that is where your true strength lies. Tears welled up into my eyes as I clipped the gold chain around my neck. And I quickly ran back downstairs to the front door and went out to the car.
"What a beautiful young lady! Good morning, Gwendolyn," remarked my stepfather. I didn't reply. I refused to say anything. I knew he convinced my mom somehow that selling their own daughter to improve a man's political stability to win a campaign.
We drove past gorgeous ferns and pines to our right and the cliffs to the left gave way to the beauty of the town.
My father interrupted the silence,"You are going to enjoy meeting with the Greysons after all they-"
"Helped you with your campaign, I know," I replied showing my displeasure.
"Gwendolyn! We talked about this, enough of your nonsense. Be grateful for what you are about to receive," mother replied in an authoritative tone.
"I didn't want to be sold way to some stranger. We all know how that turned out," I rebuked. I was furious, but I found security in holding the locket.
"What is that?" Mother asked. Before I could snap my hand away, she had undone the locket clip off my neck. "That father of yours has gotten to you and filled your head with rubbish. Forget about the useless knowledge or I will have no choice but to disown you"
"Fine."
Suddenly I could feel the car's weight shift slightly. This cannot be good. I have to get out now. I looked to the door handle then out the window. I saw the driver fall from the car and onto the pavement. I opened the sliding window within the car and saw these frosty blue eyes stare back and what I thought were scars across his face.
I sat back down in my seat and realized we were heading straight into the steel railings which guarded cars from cliff side falls. I quickly opened the door and plunged myself onto the pavement. As I gathered myself I could see the flames of the engine and the paramedics working on my fellow passengers when I saw white sheets being brought out I screamed. The last thing we did was fight, this isn't fair!
The pain was great and I couldn't bear it anymore, I collapsed. My final glimpse was a second pair of icy blue eyes and soon gave way to darkness.