Chapter 10

We approached the house slowly. Kianne, with tears and a look of guilt across her face, ran over and hugged me. She said sullenly,"I'm sorry, Gwen. I didn't mean to upset you. I just wanted to know the full truth is all."
I was about to speak when Atlas stepped ahead and said,"She needs her rest. After a day like this I think it would be for the best." I looked into his grey eyes asking him why. He didn't meet my gaze at first,but turned to me and nodded. I knew I had no other choice at that point. I just walked through the house and back to the guest room.
         Atlas followed me and whispered,"Try not to scare anyone anymore we can't be causing to much trouble, especially with you around."
         "Alright," I agreed,"It has been a long day,but what about all of you? Are all you certain that you want me to stay?"
          Atlas was looking directly at me until I began to ask questions. He walked to the window to avoid my gaze and stared out into the beyond. I continued,"You all could have just taken me back and left with no trouble, but something stopped Zan."
             Atlas gave a little flinch then locked his gaze on the outside world once more." Wait, were you-" My speech was caught in my throat at the realization.
"Yes," Atlas said breaking the silence,"I am the one who saved you in the forest,took you to the hospital, and put the first round of bandages on you." His grey eyes were intense and serious as they turned and met mine.
             I stopped dead in my tracks."That's what you wanted to tell me wasn't it."
            He turned back and continued to stare out the window. I continued,"You have been the one keeping me here. You don't want me to leave!"
            "Yes."
            "Why?" I asked starting to cry.
            "Just watch and try to stay calm," Atlas opened the window and crawled out to stand on the sill.
           "What are you doing?!" A rush of guilt filled my stomach,"Don't please." I ran toward him to stop him but he had jumped. I covered my eyes and buried my head in my lap. He's gone.
       Then I heard flapping from outside. It can't be... it's impossible. I slowly picked up my head and saw Fenix sitting in the window sill.
          He took his wing and wiped the tears from my eyes. He said sweetly,"I didn't mean scare you."
          I grabbed Fenix, got to my feet, and hugged him tight. I felt strong arms slowly and softly return my embrace. Fenix broke the silence,"I knew it was you,Gwendolyn. I knew I'd see you again."
         "I guess I have to stop calling you Fenix." I looked up and saw Atlas with a small smile creeping across his face.
        "That's your choice. I don't mind either name."