Chapter 16

I awoke to the morning light glistening passed the trees. I got up and heard a noise coming from behind me. A sound I recognized from my hometown. The ocean? I ran toward the noise and saw a beach. The smooth sand crunched beneath my feet and the warmth of the sun was intoxicating.
I looked to my left to the top of the cliff and I saw my old house. I was so close and I started running towards the cliff. Then suddenly a small whinny befell my ears. I turned around and saw a beautiful horse by the bank.
            The steed was solid black and a sturdy leather bridle embroidered with gold rivets. It began to toward me and I couldn't move. I was frozen. The horse went up on its hind legs and began to come down with heavy hooves plowing down to my face.
            "Gwendolyn!"
           I awoke startled and looked around till my eyes met. with the cool greenish grey eyes of Atlas," I'm alright."
"Are you sure? You were tossing and turning last night," he asked concerned.
"What happened?" Serra asked. Everyone was crowded around me, all awaiting my response.
I turned to Serra then Atlas then back toward the woods. Attempting to collect my thoughts, I responded," I was dreaming.
"About what?" Zeke questioned.
"It's nothing. Really." I continued.
"I can tell you're lying," Kianne interrupted," What's wrong?"
"I just need to get home. I need to know that everything is okay there," I replied.
Serra turned to me,"If you think that will help. I'm in." One by one each of them agreed to escort me back.

~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~

We all started walking toward a small waterfall. The crystal blue water shimmered as the light of the sun caressed it with a gentle and warm embrace.
"I'll go ahead to make sure it's safe," Zeke said before going off to the falls.
          "Be safe," I called to him as he left. He didn't even flinch or turn to meet my gaze. I knew then that Zeke was not exactly excited about taking me back. Let alone the fact that just my presence was enough to put him into such a mood.
            "I thought he would trust me by now," I said to myself.
            "Would you feel better if I went with him?" Atlas asked.
            His voice soothed my mind and I rethought about the situation between me and Zeke. "No, stay here. I'll go after him."
             "Alright," Atlas replied quietly grabbing my wrist," then, just in case, I'll be giving you a small ward spell." He began to draw what appeared to be a small tree embude with some kind of symbol.
             "Why would I need a ward spell?" I asked curiously as I saw his steady hand sketch the ward.
              Atlas finished his work and then met my gazed replying," I want to make sure you two are safe. You are only just getting a grasp on your new power and Zeke... he takes some getting used to. I want you to activate the ward if you get in trouble. Grab Zeke and place your hand on the symbol. You'll be transported back to our location instantly."
             I started off into the cave and replied," Got it. But you have nothing to worry about. We'll be fine. What can go wrong?"
             "Just make sure you grab Zeke if you get into any trouble."
             I nodded and went off after Zeke. The cave was dampened by the running water but at the end of the tunnel a faint light shone through the stalagmites and stalactites. I continued towards the light until a large crystal grotto came into view. An large aspen decorated with delicate cream and gold flowers was centered amongst velvety green grass and a beautiful pond.
            I looked down to the waters edge to see Zeke pacing. "Zeke!"
          He turned and faced me with the hilt of his sword firm in his grasp. He relaxed a bit when he saw that it was me. "You shouldn't be here."
           "I thought you would need some backup," I replied.
           "You miss heard me. You don't belong here. Your father was a coward and a trader to Vertica," Zeke said with a sense of anger as each word left his mouth," you don't know how much suffering he has caused."
"I don't understand," I replied,"You are right, but I want to understand. I want to make things right. That's why I'm still here."
"If you really want to make things right, stay here while I open the portal," Zeke responded calmly. I could still sense some angst, but it was a step in the right direction I supposed.
"Zeke," I called out to him.
I saw him stop half way across the bridge," Yes?"
"Be safe." I said. I saw a small smirk across Zeke's face. I had never seen him smile before. As quickly as it had come it was gone.
             He turned to me once more and asked," You want to learn about us?"
            I nodded calmly and looked on as bridge formed behind him. "Then keep up."