Chapter 17

Zeke and I continued across the bridge to the tree. I went forward, extending my hand to touch the gentle bark.
Zeke called out me,"Gwendolyn. Stop. Stop! You don't know what you're doing!"
I couldn't hear anything as my index finger touched the tested wood with my entire hand following. My eyes shut and revealed the exact grotto only empty. I could feel evergreen leaves dancing with the wind. The flow of the crystal clear pond seemed to bow to my will. All was steady, but I sensed something. The wind responded by rushing past and lifting me to they sky and carried me to the top of a hill.
"Where am I?" I asked myself. I turned to see who I assumed was Zeke with his back to me. I was relieved and started walking toward him," Zeke, thank goodness. What is this place? Why am I...?" I stopped. The man turned to me a hood covered his face. All I could see was a smirk come over his mouth.
He spoke," The last has arrived." He drew his sword and charged toward me. Another man ran front and stopped his assault. The swords crossed to form an X.
The attacker pushed away to gather him self while I recognized the second, it was Zeke. "Are you okay?"
"Yes," I replied. Soon the attacker returned. I pushed Zeke out of the path of the oncoming steel. Whipping my shield around, I barely blocked the attack. I pushed the attacker back with enough force to make him stumble, giving me enough time to drop my shield and unsheath my sword from its studded leather scabbard. I steadied myself, placing my feet shoulder width apart and my hands gripping the handle firmly. He charged at me with evident irritation with his blade ready for attack, swinging his blade in a dizzying pattern. I dodged the first swing and met the second with my longsword. The next few moments were a blur as our swords clashed together. At one point the attackers weapon cut through the fabric of my blouse just centimeters from flesh. He staggered as he rushed past me and I swung. My sword missed as the man dodged to the left.
Frustration coursed through me as he smirked. I advanced, swinging my sword three times. The first two missed badly, but the third, a backswing off the one before it, found flesh. The longsword eating through him as easily as air. The attacker dropped to a knee, tried to stand, and collapsed completely to the ground. He lay there, still and silent. I turned to find Zeke stumbling to his feet. Dropping my sword with a clang, I started toward Zeke to help him when he yelled at me to turn around. Before I had a chance, the sound of a blade whirling through the air filled my ears just before it sank into my back. I looked wide-eyed at Zeke as my mouth was flooded with the metallic taste of blood. My knees buckled in and I fell to the ground.
Without hesitation Zeke was at my side pulling me into his arms. Darkness started clouding my vision as I choked on my own blood. Panic took over Zeke's features. I could feel his racing heartbeat through the fabric of his shirt.
"You'll be okay. You just have to stay with me," he spouted, wiping a hand across his forehead and leaving a trail of blood, my blood, in its place. Zeke's face faded quickly as I felt my own body go slack and darkness rushed in, sweeping me away with it.