Chapter 9

"Well,it's kind of a long story,"I said nervously. I rubbed the back of my neck,"Just know that we met a long time ago and stopped talking for a while."
"Well,"the man leaning on the wall replied,"that doesn't exactly answer the question. Does it?"
"Atlas!" Serra exclaimed.
"It's just the truth,"the man,I assumed was named Atlas, replied calmly, unshaken by Serra outburst.
Kianne sighed,"Please,Gwendolyn. Answer the question. What exactly happened in there with that dragon?"
"I already told you! He perched on a branch by the window,I recognized him as my old friend, pet him a bit then started talking to him. That's it!"I replied furiously. They continued asking me what happened even though I had already explained. I ran down the steps and off into the neighboring woods.
As I slowed my pace I had so many questions. Why me? Why now? And what did actually happened between Fenix and I?
I realized that a small creek was up ahead so I decided to stop. I simply sat by the creek and stared at my reflection.
"You are really easy to track, you know,"a familiar voice said behind me. I turned and saw Atlas standing about 9 feet away from me. He wore black jeans and combat boots,a dark grey shirt that fit him just right, and a navy blue trench coat.
"I know you want me to go back,"I replied,"If you think humans are stupid,then you're wrong."
"No,I wasn't planning to take you back.I want to tell you something,"He slowly walked up and sat next to me by the creek,"You have to swear to never tell anyone else,not even my closest friends know this."
"Then why are you telling me?"
I replied confused.
Atlas answered with a deep, honest tone,"I told you there is something different about you. You're not quite human,but also not quite elemental. I feel that I can entrust you with this secret now. It greatly concerns you,especially."
"No,"I replied,"Keep your secrets. I don't want to get sucked any further into this world's affairs than I already have. I just want to go home." I could feel my eyes water as I am reminded about the crash. What home?The tears rolled down my face slowly caressing my cheeks.
I felt a hand go across the left side of my face,wiping the tears away. He said calmly,"We'll just have to wait and see." He stood up and extended his hand for to take. I took it and stood up.
"We should get back. You need your rest,"He said firmly.
"Okay,"I replied willingly. Silence fell between us as we walked back to Serra and Willow's home. I just tilted my head down,followed Atlas,and listened to the rustling leaves of the evergreens.