The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 7]

This book is available for purchase on amazon.com as an ebook. 

Chapter 7

Finn sat at the edge of Violet's bed and twisted the sheets in his tightly fisted hands. It had been two days since she had been shot. She should have woken up by now, especially since she had healed within hours of being shot. Once he had removed the bullet her skin had patched itself back together right before his eyes.

"Please wake up Violet," he whispered fiercely. There was no response, of course. It was killing him, not knowing what she was or what to do for her. Desperation made him grab her shoulders and shake her lightly, then more forcefully when she didn't respond.

Finally Violet made a small noise and slowly opened her brown eyes. She looked up at Finn and frowned, "What happened?"

"You were shot, so I brought you back here. It's been two days," he replied, examining her face for any new details he might have missed before.

"What is wrong with you?" Violet asked, shifting uncomfortably on the bed. The man in front of her was staring intently at her, as if trying to unlock all of her secrets.

Finn shook his head in disappointment and gave her an irritated look. "I can't figure it out," he said harshly.

"Can't figure what out?"

"What you are."

Violet visibly flinched, but composed a mask on her face that revealed nothing but mild curiosity. "What do you mean? I'm a female human just like the other women."

"Don't lie to me," he said with drawn brows, "I can tell you're something else, I just can't tell what. Usually I have no problem classifying creatures, but with you, something is muddled and hidden from me."

Violet grinned playfully, "Don't be silly."

Finn growled and tugged on the bed sheet angrily, "This isn't a game Violet! I don't know what you are and while you were sick I was so damn worried that I needed to be doing something special for you, but I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do!" She looked at him with wide blue eyes and bit on her bottom lip with a small fang.

"Why are your eyes blue?" he asked roughly after calming himself down. It was rare that Finn lost his temper, but something about this woman evoked a crazy amount of emotion in him.

"I...I can't tell you," she whispered after a moment. She turned her head away from him and started tracing patterns on the bed.

Finn reached out and softly turned her head to face him again. "Why not? Are you afraid that we're going to reject you once we find out what you are?"

Violet shook her head, "I can't tell you. If I do...well, the consequences aren't something I want to deal with. You can try and guess though." She smiled shyly at him, once again revealing her small fangs.

"May I?" he asked, reaching out a hand. She nodded and allowed him to tuck her hair behind her left ear. He gasped softly when he saw that they were delicately pointed at the tip. "Are you some kind of fae?" he murmured, more to himself than to her.

Pulling back he carefully observed her features again. Her eyes were pointed upwards at the temple ends and seemed to change colors with her emotions. She had pointed ears and small fangs. "You can't be a fairy, you don't have wings. I would have felt them when I carried you here. And you aren't a nymph: you have pointed ears." Finn gave another frustrated sigh while Violet still smiled at him.

She took the opportunity to scrutinize Finn's features. He had shockingly pale hair that fell in disarray on his head. His eyes were violet colored and framed by thick white lashes. Sharp cheekbones and a sharp nose gave him an aristocratic look offset by the dimple in his left cheek and kissable lips.