The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 31]

This book is available for purchase on amazon.com as an ebook. 

Chapter Thirty-One

"What do you mean he can visit me whenever? He doesn't have to be within a certain distance of me anymore?" Noelle asked worriedly. If that was the case, she would never get any sleep for fear that Ayumu would visit her.

Raine shook his head slowly. "He has an unbreakable bond with you until one of you dies. I'm sorry Noelle."

"Well that's just dandy," she muttered, "Guess I'm never sleeping again." Raine made an odd noise, but then just looked away from her uncomfortably, as if he was hiding something. "What?" she asked suspiciously, "What aren't you telling me?"

"Uh..." Raine paused and tried to think of the best way to relay the information to her so that she wouldn't freak out. He gave a defeated sigh and looked at her warily, "You don't have to be asleep for him to visit your mind. He can force you into a comatose state whenever."

Noelle drew her wrist back from Raine shakily and avoided eye contact. She didn't want him to see the fear in her eyes. How was she supposed to have control over any aspect of her life if Ayumu could visit her mind whenever he damn well pleased? It was a scary notion that part of herself was in the hands of someone else. Someone who wanted to kill her and all those she loved.

"I don't believe it," she said firmly.

"What?" Raine asked, disbelieving, "Why would I lie to you about that?"

Noelle gave him a speaking look, "I don't doubt you. I doubt that Ayumu is powerful enough to control my mind whenever he wants."

Raine grabbed her by the arms swiftly, causing his black hair to fall into his piercing green eyes. "Don't taunt him, Noelle. Ayumu is a very powerful demon, he was able to resist my Alpha commands in Latin. No single demon should be able to resist that."

Scoffing in irritation, Noelle rolled her eyes and called out loudly, "I don't think you're strong enough, Ayumu! Do you hear me? I dare you, Ayumu, I dare you—" Her voice was cut off as she suddenly went limp in Raine's arms. If he hadn't been holding onto her she would have gone crashing to the floor.

"Shit," he muttered, picking her up bridal style and heading to his bedroom. He laid her on the bed and leaned close to her ear. "Let her go, Ayumu, she's innocent in all of this." When nothing happened, he gave a blistering curse, "Let her go, you've made your point!" Raine jumped back with a hiss when Noelle's body electrically shocked him.

He watched in fear as her skin paled and her lips turned blue. Steam wafted from her mouth as she breathed shallowly. Raine reached out to touch her, but pulled back his hands seconds later when he realized that she was cold to the touch. Too cold to touch without getting instant freezer burn. It was Ayumu's way of warning Raine to back off.

Frustrated with the fact that he could do absolutely nothing to help Noelle, he pulled a blanket over her and sat next to her on the bed, waiting for Ayumu to release her from his control.

Noelle felt like someone had taken a spoon and scraped around the edges of her mind, leaving it hollow and aching. Ayumu had a fierce grip on her mind, one she couldn't shake even if she tried. She was kneeling on the floor clutching her head, waiting for the pain to subside. Eventually it became bearable enough and she was able to stand up and take in her surroundings.

She was in a large living room with a large velvet maroon couch and a roaring fire. In front of the fire was a bearskin rug and to the left was a cherry wood table with decanter of brandy. Overall the room had a dark and mysterious feel to it, almost dangerous in its emotions, as if at any minute creatures would emerge from the woodworks.