2

The Lioness

I kneeled on the floor unable to keep a straight line of thought

We're trapped in here? Are we just supposed to lay down and die? I didn't sign up for this!

I noticed the barrier keeping us in the plaza go down amd I made a break for it.

Not today. I will not die today!

<>

I ran to a nearby village in hopes of gathering as much loot and money as possible. I need to get stronger.

Side quests were the easiest way to do that. Killing smaller bosses, locating hidden goods, anything to raise my level.

I burst through a small cottage door and met the nervous eyes of a boy my age.

"You were a beta tester?" He asked.

"What makes you think that?" I muttered holding my sword to my side.

"You have good gear. Plus, most people are still in shock at the plaza. Yet you're here leveling" he stated casually scrolling through his inventory. "My names Kirito"

I looked at him. He seemed familiar but I couldn't say I met him before.

"Reina"

His eyes lit up. "The Reina? The beta tester who everyone called The Lioness? They said within three weeks you cleared the entire game!"

I groaned putting my sword away. "Yeah. That Reina"

He laughed and walked out the door. Curious as to who he was I followed not far behind.

"So Kirito, what's your plan on getting out of here?"

We talked about Kayaba and his idea of a world which he controlled as a god as well as tactics on passing the game. By nightfall we agreed to join eachother as a party and work together for a while.

"So I never met you in person back then but I've wanted to ask, why the rapier?" I shrugged my shoulders and ate a piece of stale bread won from stealing back jewelry from looters.

"My sword skills are sub-par no matter what anyone tells you. I'm only strong when it comes to mobility. Keep your gear light and your weapons lighter and you practically become an acrobatic feather" I smiled. He laughed at my excuse of a reference.

"With light armor doesn't your hp lack? I mean you have no defense with simple cloth"

"Thats where the agility comes into play. You can't damage what you can't touch. Simple as that" I sighed. I enjoyed talking about my previous achievements with Kirito. It helped take my mind off of reality.

"What about you. Tell me about beta Kirito"

"I finished the game relatively early. Not as quick as you though. But instead of joining a guild I was a solo player" he recited. I could read his expression vividly.

"There's a heavy burden to carry in parties and groups. I understand. That's where you need to find people you trust" I said nudging his shoulder. "We may be stuck in this game for a while, but as long as you have someone to lean on, you're the strongest in the world."