10

Showdown

The gate glowed again and Asuna and Kirito stepped out

"Hey!" Agil smiled waving to them.

"Oh, you guys are coming too?"

"We came all the way out here to help your sorry rear and all we get is an 'Oh'?!" I whined. Klein patted my head as an attempt to calm me down but it just made me annoyed.

"Im not a child you bumhead!" He laughed holding his hands up in surrender. Everyone else in the square was staring. Watching our every move. Everyone was on edge.

Then Heathcliffe and the others came through the gate.

"Corridor: Open" he uttered and the teleport crystal shattered. We all walked through and into a dark room where everyone began equipping their best gear.

"I get a bad vibe from this place" Asuna whispered. I nodded in agreement. Something was off, and you could feel it in the air. The tension was so thick you could cut through it.

There was a pep talk by the door but I kept my eyes focused on Klein.

Don't die. Please.

"For our day of liberation!" Heathcliffe yelled opening the door.

Everyone charged blindly into the room before falling into a still silence. The close of the doors echoed behind us. No going back now.

"Above us!" Asuna exclaimed.

"The skull..."

"Reaper?!"

Sure enough. 5 hp bars and made entirely of bone the Skull Reaper hung on the ceiling above us.

It landed on the ground and with one hit slaughtered two people.

"We'll cover the scythes! Everyone else attack the sides!" Kirito instructed. I followed Klein and Agil. I'm not strong. How am I supposed to contribute?

"Reina! Go to the front with them! Use the nullifying ability!" Agil yelled.

"I-I'll be cut to pieces" I muttered. My shoulders sagged. I can't help. I can't do anything!

"Fight!" It was Klein. He gave me a smile before striking the Reaper's legs. I nodded and ran for the front.

I stood frozen. It's not using sword activation. Just brute strength!

<>

People were attacking with everything they had. Others fell and perished. All I could do was dodge the attacks.

Finally its fifth hp bar fell low enough.

"Everyone attack!" Heathcliffe ordered. Every person still standing swung and sliced with all their might until the Reaper exploded in a flash of light and falling crystals.

<>

I remember relief washing over me and then blood rushing to my head and I passed out.

When I awoke everyone was under paralysis.

"W-What's happening?" I asked standing up. Heathcliffe looked at me surprised and pressed a button in his menu a few times.

"Why isn't it working?!" He groaned.

"Reina?" Kirito asked. I looked over to him. He seemed scared and nervous.

"Anti-Paralysis. The Golden Hearts. It lasts for ten seconds but it's effects remain as long as my hp doesn't fall. My unique ability" I smiled approaching him.

"How's it going King Kayaba" I smirked.

"Y-You. I never programmed that ability!" He yelled.

"No. She did" Klein laughed.

"Nice to meet you face-to-face Akihiko Kayaba. My name is Reina. You may know me as ability technician Rei Kiyoshi. My name is even in the final credits"

He sighed and chuckled to himself.

"Petty rodent. You may be immune to paralysis, but that doesn't make you immortal! Even you a mere player cannot be a god!" He yelled swinging his blade at me.

I grabbed it and closed my eyes.

"Activation nullification" I muttered pushing him away.

He grunted and stuck his sheild into the ground.

"Is that so? Maybe I should silence your annoying mouth"

"That's no way to talk to a coworker, Mr. Kayaba"

He lunged toward me with sheer speed and I blocked his swing with my rapier. It may be small but it sure it strong.

"Fool"

Red. It's color was red. I had always wondered why sword skills were different colors. It was all randomized.

Yet Akihiko Kayaba, chose red. The Red Demon King.

Forgive me Klein. Kirito, I'm sorry to dump another burden on you.