Fragile Hearts: Nine

Hinata held the phone away from her ear and winced as her friend screamed with delight on the other end.

"Shh!" Could be heard in the background.

"S-sorry," Tenten said quietly after she finished cheering.

The Hyūga smiled and shook her head while holding up a floral dress. "Are you okay?"

The brunette scoffed, "of course, it's just that I'm still at work and these guys get a bit grumpy sometimes. No big deal. But enough about me, who's the lucky guy?"

Hinata blushed involuntarily and dropped the dress onto the bed with the others she had already examined. "You wouldn't know him."

Tenten squealed while smiling, "I can't believe you're actually going on a date. It's been ages!"

She rolled her lavender eyes and pulled back the empty hangers on the railing in the closet. "I-It's not like that. W-we're just going out to eat or something...it's nothing romantic or anything."

"Mhm, sure. I totally believe you."

She sighed and used her shoulder to hold the phone to her ear while pulled out dress after dress. "It's not."

"Yeah and the next thing you know you'll be marrying the guy," Tenten mused. Hinata stopped however, her eyes fixated on a thin lilac blouse. The thought of marriage hadn't occurred to her since she got out of her last relationship. It was two years since then and she had made the decision of growing old alone...well maybe with a few cats, but alone nonetheless.

"You know how I feel about marriage," she sighed giving up on her search.

She couldn't see her, but she knew Tenten had rolled her eyes on the other end. "That only applies to that butt face Toneri. This other guy may just be husband material."

"Like Neji?" Hinata shot back silencing her. The air was suddenly filled with an almost tangible tension as neither uttered a word. The muffled sound of chatter in the background on Tenten's end was all that could be heard along with her breathing. She had touched on a sensitive topic, reopening old wounds and causing buried memories to resurrect. But they weren't as they once were, they were dead and so they plagued the brunette's mind, haunting her constantly.

The midnight blue haired girl sat on her clothes covered bed, waiting for her friend to say something-anything! Just to clear her conscience.

After a few moments she cleared her throat, "yeah...like him."

Hinata sighed, "I don't know what to wear."

Tenten chuckled, "go shopping. Spoil yourself once in a while."

She offered her a lopsided smile, "not on this budget."

"What budget? You spend most of your money on food!"

"Shh!" Came once again from the background.

"Sorry!"

Hinata laughed, "food is essential."

"So are clothes and shoes," she retorted causing the pale girl to roll her eyes playfully.

"Sure," was her only response.

Tenten sighed, "I have to go now. Are we still on for next month?"

"Yeah...but if something comes up I'll let you know."

"Okay, well good luck on your date," she said in amusement.

"Go away." She listened to Tenten's laughter on the other end before hanging up.