Chapter 22

"We do our very best, but sometimes it's just not good enough. We buckle our seat belts, we wear a helmet, we stick to the lighted paths, we try to be safe. We try so hard to protect ourselves, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Cause when the bad things come, they come out of nowhere. The bad things come suddenly, with no warning. But we forget that sometimes that's how the good things come too." -Grey's Anatomy

Jamie's POV

It's been two weeks since Meredith has been diagnosed with the loss of hearing in both of her ears. Two whole weeks, and it still feels like yesterday she got attacked.

It's hard seeing her like this, her not talking to me when I visit her everyday, when I bring Abby in to see her Aunt. So I keep asking myself, why do I do it? Why do I keep going back to seeing her when every time it hurts? Well, the answer is simple. I love her.

I woke up early this morning, God knows why, to the smell of pancake batter. I rolled over on to Jackson's side of the bed, expecting it to be vacant, but I felt his warm body against mine, making me smile.

"Are you cooking breakfast?" I mumble softly into his chest. He stiffens, as he plants a kiss on my forehead.

"No, but I do have a surprise for you in the kitchen." He mumbles lightly as I look up at him curiously, trying to pry what it is in my mind.

I sit up in our bed, wrapping myself with one of Jackson's loose shirts. I throw my hair up in a messy ponytail, before walking down the hallway, and walk into the kitchen carefully, making sure to not slip due to my fuzzy socks.

"Ash?" I breathe out as I see my sister feeding Abby some food. I bite my lip, rubbing my arm uncomfortably. My sister is in my apartment, feeding my child, my child she had no idea about. My husband knew that she was coming, the husband she didn't even know I had.

"Jamie!" She squeals, rushing over to me, wrapping me in a bone crushing hug. I don't know how to respond, but I simply wrap my arms around her, taking in the comfort.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you suppose to be in school?" I ask my 21 year old sister, watching her face drop slightly as she pulls away from the hug, walking back over to my daughter.

"Your husband called me yesterday to offer a free round trip flight to see my sister and her beautiful baby girl. Not to mention beautiful husband, does he have a brother by chance?" My sister asks as I laugh softly, shaking my head.

"Nope, just him. Thank you for coming out, but you have school. I kinda want you to graduate college." I lift up Abby, kissing her forehead softly. Ashley smiles lightly.

"That's actually why I came out here too. Look, Jamie-"

"Look at this reunion! Good morning Ashley, did you sleep well?" Jackson walks into the kitchen, kissing my cheek quickly. He walks over to the pancakes, digging right in.

"I slept great, thank you so much for doing this. I needed a break to see my sister and her beautiful daughter." Ashley tells my husband, as she looks up at me smiling wide. I bite my lip, nodding my head.

"Well, you guys have the whole day together. You can take Abby-" he gets cut off by my pager ringing loudly. I sigh, before looking at it quickly.

"911, Meredith. Jackson, I can't do it today. I'm sorry." I quickly run to our bedroom, throwing on an appropriate outfit, throwing my hair in a bun. I walk back out to the living room, kissing Jackson's cheek and Abby's forehead.

"How about you and I hang out for the day? We can get to know each other." Jackson offers as I quickly turn on my heel.

"Jackson, you don't have to. She's a big girl, she can explore the city. She's fine." I mumble as Ashley whips her head at Jackson, nodding her head.