Chapter 31

"How could someone so broken be loved by someone so much?"

***

Running around the hospital, Jackson Avery looked desperately for his heartbroken wife, who nobody could find. He left messages on her phone, ones of him crying out for her to come, others saying he loved her.

None of them brought her back to his grasp.

"Daddy, where's Mommy?" A groggy Abigal Avery asked her father, her eyes closing to fall asleep against Jackson's chest. The male sighed softly, kissing his daughter lightly on the forehead.

"She's working sweetheart, don't worry about her. She will be home by the time we get there." Jackson whispered, not wanting to frighten his daughter with the truth.

"Dada, if I'm not going to worry, you can't either." Abby mumbled, before drifting off into sleep, Jackson sighing softly as he feels his daughter's heartbeat against his chest, making him stay calm.

He slowly leaves a kiss on her forehead, "Okay, Bugs, I'll listen to you." However, deep  down, he was about to burst into tears.

***

Sobbing on the steps of her apartment building, Jamie Avery weeped over all that has been going on for the past day. Her phone turned off due to all the missed calls and texts Jackson has left, she sat in a state of unknowing.

She doesn't know why her husband would lie to her face? Why her best friend made her lose one of the things she treasured the most? Why her father was dying and nobody bothered to tell her?

Jamie was debating about running to God knows where or running inside in her and Jackson's apartment building, wanting to be held so tight.

Wiping her eyes, she found the courage to stand up, and walk out her apartment building's lobby, into the cold night of Seattle, Washington. She walked two blocks, before sitting down on the ledge of the pier, closing her eyes lightly.

For a moment, and only a moment, she debated about jumping off the pier, never to return, but every time she closed her eyes thinking that horrible thought, her head swirled to images of her beautiful daughter, alongside her husband holding their new born infant.

A voice startled her, making her eyes widen in fear, "Jamie? God, I've been looking everywhere for you."

Jamie smiles lightly at Owen Hunt, before scooting over to let her friend sit besides her, enjoying the company. "How did you find me?"

"I could recognize you from a block away, Jamie. Plus, I was driving to your apartment building to see you run out of it, so I followed you. I waited a few minutes watching you, because I knew you didn't want the company." Owen replies, smiling softly at the girl before him. Jamie chuckle, shrugging her shoulders.

"I'd enjoy your company any day, Owen." Jamie replies, bumping her shoulder against his lightly as he chuckles at the action.

The two doctors conversation dyed down, enjoying the view before them. Tears rolled down Jamie's face while watching the ferries wheel move, the colors beaming against the dark blue ocean.

"My father would love this view. He use to bring my mom out to a lake in their hometown, they would stay out their for hours, the two of them staring at the star-shined water, falling deep into each other's hearts." Owen smiles lightly, watching the girl with tear stained cheeks. "I wish I could bring him here."