Ch. 87 - Just A Kid

DARYL'S POV

I stood next to Kat as she stared the boy at the boy who'd stolen her gun and had it pointed at us. She had her hands up slightly before the boy turned his eyes to me. "Lay down your crossbow," he said, turning the gun to me. "You got some sack on you," I said before tossing it down at me feet and moving to stand closer to Kat. "I just need weapons," the kid said looking at me, "that's it, it's nothing personal." I moved so that I was slightly in front of Kat as the guy nervously stepped forward to grab my crossbow.

I looked back at Kat before looking at him again as he placed my crossbow on his shoulder and began backing up. "Sorry about this," he said before looking to the tent closest to him, "you two look like you can handle yourselves. You'll be alright." That next second, he pulled out a knife before cutting into the tent he was next to, letting out the walker inside. I felt Kat reach behind me and grab the small hand gun I always carried on me before she aimed in at the walker approaching us.

The kid cut the second tent and let out the other walker before turning and quickly making his way off the bridge while the walkers were distracted. I quickly stabbed on walker in the head while she aimed and shot the second walker. When I turned my attention to her, she was aiming her gun at the kid as he reached the end of the bridge. Just before she could shoot, I hit her gun, causing it to shoot at the floor in front of us. "The hell Daryl," she glared at me before turning and running after the kid.

KATHRYN'S POV

I could hear Daryl running after me as we reached the door that led to the parking garage we'd been in when we first gained access to the bridge. "Dammit," I muttered as we both pushed hard on the door but it wouldn't budge, the sound of chains giving it away that it'd been locked from the other side. "C'mon," Daryl said looking around, "we'll find another way." "No," I said shaking my head, "we need to find Beth. That's what we came here for and we have a lead. We stick to the plan." He nodded once before leading the way back into the office building we'd been in earlier.

Daryl hadn't spoken to me though since we'd exited off the sky bridge where that boy took our things. "Dammit Daryl," I said running up to him and grabbing his arm to stop him, "we're in the middle of the damn city and he was stealing our weapons. I wasn't going to kill him, I was aiming for his leg. I'm not heartless. I don't just kill people." "He's just a damn kid Kat," he finally said as he peered down at me and stared into my eyes. "A kid," I said nodding and taking a step back away from him, "what does that say about me Daryl? He don't look like he's more than one or two years younger than me!"

"Kat that's not what I meant," he said quickly grabbing my arm as I went to step back further from him, "you're twisting my words around and making them mean something they don't. So stop." I just stared up at him before pulling my arm out of his grasp and walking ahead of him. I could hear him hesitate for a second longer before he finally started following behind me. How did it always seem to end up with me getting upset when he mentions the kid word? Am I really that self-conscious about being with him, and thinking he'll leave first chance he gets when he realizes he doesn't have to be with a kid like me?

Shaking that thought from my head, I let Daryl lead the way as we made our way back outside and headed in the direction of the van we'd found. When we finally got to it, I watched around us as Daryl opened the back, only to watch it rock slightly from the movement. "Let's get this over with," he said as he moved towards the van. "I'm lighter than you," I said looking over at him, "maybe I should be the one to look for some kind of clue?" I watched as he turned around, and while looking dead at me, hopped into the back of the van. "Dumbass," I whispered, lound enough for him to hear.

DARYL'S POV

I gave Kat a slight smirk at what she said before turning and getting to my feet in the back of the van. I cautiously made my way up to the front of the van before hearing her climb in as well. Looking through the sunvisers, I couldn't find anything of use before the sound of snarling caught my attention. I glanced at Kat in time to see her looking out the window on the passenger side of the car. "We're gonna have to fight through," she said, "there's even more coming from this way." "Yeah I see 'em," I said before getting to my feet and making my way back to the back before stopping at the gurney, "GMH? That a hospital?"

"Grady Memorial maybe," Kat said before making it to the doors of the van. "The hospital and the white crosses," I said as we looked out the back, "might be where they're holding up." Coming to that conclusion, we both jumped out of the van before realizing we were completely surrounded and it was probably useless to try and fight through. We try fighting before I hear Kat call out my name. "Kat get in there," I said as I quickly made my way back to her and put my arm around her waist to pull her closer, "go!" She quickly climbed in before I followed in behind, closing the doors to keep them out.

"Daryl they're gonna push us over," Kat said as she sat on the floor of the van, looking around as the herd that had surrounded us began beating on the doors and sides to the van. I looked over at her and could see the fear in her eyes as she looked back at me. "C'mon," I said before grabbing her hand and pulling her to the front. I climbed into the driver's seat and buckled in before turning and watching as Kat did the same in the passanger's seat. I had my hands on the the dash before I looked over once feeling Kat's small hand over mine. "I love you," Kat whispered as I watched tears slowly slip down her face. "You hold on," I say just before I feel the van shift and lean forwards.