Ch. 143 - Trouble

KATHRYN’S POV

Daryl and Rosita got back to Alexandria with Abraham and Eugene, but everything didn’t go as planned. It was some time later when I finally got Daryl to tell me what had happened. The prick that’d stolen Daryl’s bike had jumped him, Rosita, and Denise when they were on the way back and killed Denise. Now I was scared. We didn’t have Denise anymore to help with the birth of our baby. The only option would be to get me to the Hilltop and just have me stay there until she was born so that we wouldn’t have to take that long drive up while I was in labor.

A few weeks after Denise’s death, I woke up to find Daryl was already gone. Confused, I got up and got dressed before heading down the stairs and out of the house to spy Daryl on his motorcycle. “Daryl,” I asked in a question. He looked back at me for a second before riding off. “Daryl,” I cried as I tried to run after him without falling and hurting myself or our daughter. I was out of breath by the time I reached the gate, watching as he pulled it open and sped out without so much as a look back. “We’ll bring him back,” Glenn said as he looked at me after running by with Michonne. I watched, scared, as they drove off with Rosita to wherever it was Daryl was going.

I stood there, staring at the now closed gate as I tried not to hyperventilate and then Dad leaves with Morgan to go find Carol after she apparently left in the middle of the night. “Kathryn,” Maggie said softly, “we need to get you to sit down before something happens, c’mon.” “No,” I said in a whisper as I shook my head, “I want to watch for them to come back.” “Glenn and them will bring Daryl back,” she said as she placed her hands on my shoulders, “and your dad will be back with Morgan as soon as they find Carol. All you can do is to keep yourself calm.”

MAGGIE’S POV

“How can I,” she asked in what almost looked like panic, “my dad just left, Daryl just left, and the only person I could hope to have help me with child birth was killed a few weeks ago. I’m trying not to panic but I’m scared that everything is going downhill for us and I don’t want to leave Daryl alone or him not come back and our child be an orphan if something happens to me.” “Nothing will happen to you and Daryl will come back in one piece,” I said as I hugged her, “but you stressing like this won’t help your daughter. Come with me and sit down for a little bit.”

It took a lot of coaxing, but I finally got her to follow me to the closest seat and sat her down. I watched her as she shakily placed her hands on her stomach and tried to slow her breathing down. “I don’t understand why he did this,” she said quietly as I watched a tear slowly fall down her cheek, “he seemed fine, didn’t show any signs of doing something like this. And now he’s gone. And it scares me to think he may not come back this time.” “He came back the last time he left like that,” I said as I remembered the prison when he left with Merle, “he’ll come back this time too.”

KATHRYN’S POV

I looked over at Maggie and nodded. She was right. He promised he’d never leave me like that again, I just had to hope he knew what he was doing right now. “C’mon,” Maggie said finally, “let’s go back to the house.” “Okay,” I nodded before allowing her to help me up. We made our way slowly towards our house when we crossed paths with Enid. She stopped and talked with us for a few minutes before following us back to house. I sat in the kitchen with them and watched with a smile on my face as Enid helped Maggie cut her hair off.

“This is the shortest I’ve seen your hair,” I commented as she looked over at me, “the last time I saw it like this was we were still on your dad’s farm. And even then it wasn’t this short.” I watched as she smiled back at me before her smile slowly disappeared and she began looking downwards. “Maggie,” I asked as I watched her. “Maggie are you okay,” Enid asked just before Maggie screamed out in pain and doubled over and off the chair. “Maggie,” I screamed as I dropped down next to her before looking to Enid, “Enid, go get help! Hurry!”